Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Suspension: Basic Kit vs. Flex Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:17 PM
sdkone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Suspension: Basic Kit vs. Flex Kit

Hey Guys,
What is everyone's opinion on the Tein Basic Setup vs. the Tein Flex Setup for the 350Z? I am defiantly leaning towards the Basic setup mainly because of cost but I defiantly don’t want to sacrifice my ride quality either.

What is everyone’s experience with these setups? Or if you have another adjustable coil setup that you would like to recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what are you using the car for?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, same question. If you don't plan on tracking it and just want an adjustable ride height with good comfort, then I would go with basics. If you want to be able to adjust your dampening, for the street and track, then go with the Flexs. I have had Tein Basics on a previous car and loved the ride.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 AM
sdkone

Hey King,
You basically answered all my questions. I don’t plan on racing the car; I just plan on driving it aggressively and having fun with it. But I defiantly don’t want a harsh ride when I am taking road trips, ya know. I found a good deal on the basic kit for $668.00.
Anybody found a better price than that?

Thanks guys,
Steve
Old 01-11-2005, 05:06 AM
mikeyngo

Where did you find that price? I would also like to purchase one.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

make sure you buy from an authorized Tein dealer, otherwise there won't be any warranty coverage!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:45 AM
sdkone

Hey guys,
That price is from a friends shop that deals with Tein direct, so he is passing his discount to me.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a impossibility to toss a suspension on any car that has spring rates that are 114% stiffer then oem and not pay a ride quality price. Many owners reviews of the Flex suspension report a harsh ride quality. And when told that some owner claim the system can ride like oem, Tein's own techs told me, " your kidding right, their's no way with springs that stiff it can ride like oem".

Also, you have to be very carefull, some Flex users actually have a different setup then Tein sell's now. When the system first came out it used softer spring rates then they use now.

Tein Flex (twin tube construction, adjustable dampners
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload (important feature, other Teins do NOT have the abilitiy to alter ride height and not effect preload and piston travel)
Can use Teins EDFC in car dampner adjustment system
Spring rates in lbs 672/672
Stiffer then oem springs by F+114% R+98
Transfers +16% roll stiffness to front
Side Note: Extremely high spring rates mean even when the adjustable damping is set as low as possible, you may not find ride quality happiness IF ride quality is of concern, several reports of this setups harshness exist Yet a few owner comment’s of a “like stock ride quality” also exist. However given the fact that they use a spring stiffness that’s over 100% stiffer then oem, if ride quality is of concern, either hitch a ride in a car equipped with them or make a different choice. In addition, several review’s have been done by people actually having the original more softly sprung Tein Flex coilovers do not take their comments to mean the same as the one using the current product, the original product specs are listed below under Tein Flex JDM.

Tein Flex JDM specs (can be special ordered est 6-8 weeks delivery)
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
Can use Teins EDFC in car dampner adjustment system
Spring rates in lbs 560/560
Stiffer then oem springs by F+78% R+64%
Transfers 14% roll stiffness to front
Side Note: This is the original specs first offered in the U.S. with the Flex, shortly after it’s introduction the specs changed to those listed further above (672/672)

Tein Basic (twin tube construction, non adjustable dampners )
Spring rates in lbs 504/504
Stiffer then oem by F+61% R+43%
Transfers +18% roll stiffness to front
Side Note: Excellent value at it’s price point, a budget performance coilover with several excellent owner reviews

Another choice to consider if ride quality and performance are desired would be the HKS RS coilover($1410 in the vendor marketplace section)
Old 01-11-2005, 03:41 PM
homiusang

Very informative insight Gsedan35, that's what i want to hear.
sorry not to jack the post, but for people who wants performance when they track the car as well as concerning the ride quality on everyday driving, will the Cusco Zero2 be an alternative?

Thanks all
Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by homiusang
Very informative insight Gsedan35, that's what i want to hear.
sorry not to jack the post, but for people who wants performance when they track the car as well as concerning the ride quality on everyday driving, will the Cusco Zero2 be an alternative?

Thanks all
I can't get behind the Cusco's because of how much roll stiffness they transfer to the front. Sway bar settings are not ment to fix that kind of poor setup choice. BUT!, take a look a few post's up for a member named Z1 Performance, Adam is running the Cusco's on his car you can alway's send him a pm. He has also driven a Z with the HKS RS coilovers I do believe.

Cusco Zero 1&2 (Monotube, Zero1=non adjustable dampner, Zero2=adjustable dampner)
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
Spring rates in lbs560/392
Stiffer then oem by F+78% R+15%
Transfers +63% roll stiffness to front (no they do not run their rear springs on the dampner body, oem location, seen them on the car with my own eyes.)
Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
bhk1004

so for the occasional tracker that wants a nice ride and good handling, and has no idea how to really adjust dampening by himself and doesnt care 2, oh and hes on a budge, the basics would be a pretty good choice? along with hotchkis sways? (anyone wanna explain what sways do? since im only getting them cause everyone swears on these sway bars...)
Old 01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
zillinois

Originally posted by bhk1004
so for the occasional tracker that wants a nice ride and good handling, and has no idea how to really adjust dampening by himself and doesnt care 2, oh and hes on a budge, the basics would be a pretty good choice? along with hotchkis sways? (anyone wanna explain what sways do? since im only getting them cause everyone swears on these sway bars...)
I think the Basics are excellent for a car that is occasionally tracked. If you are going to get more serious though, they will be inadequate. But they are an excellent compromise for the price. I ran 13 HPDE's last year on the Basics.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 PM
B-Unit

YOU CANT use the edfc on the basics tho
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

EDFC is very gimmicky in all honesty......and the Basic is just that, basic...no adjustable dampening, but very comfy, very soft, and gets the job done for a very modest price

Zero2's are an awesome setup IMHO, though it takes some dialing in to get them right.

I was impressed by the HKS RS"s when I drove them....great predictable handling at the limit, and nice, crisp turn in response. Also were absolutely silent over rough roads, which was nice

If you do chose the Cusco's, I highly recommend the non pillow version...over rough roads, tjhe PBM's can be a tad noisy. I swapped to the std mounts in my car, and its now the perfect setup for me
Old 01-20-2005, 06:03 PM
B-Unit

when you say gimmicky, what exactly do you mean??? Breaks allot??
Old 01-21-2005, 07:44 PM
homiusang

Originally posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
when you say gimmicky, what exactly do you mean??? Breaks allot??
I think he meant the EDFC is a gimmick idea, which means that was some way to market that suspension setup, and distinct from other competitors.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:24 AM
TwiZted

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO....if i were to buy the basics I would need the front A-arms and rear camber adjusters right?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:29 AM
zillinois

Originally posted by TwiZted
SO....if i were to buy the basics I would need the front A-arms and rear camber adjusters right?
I was able to bring my alignment back to spec without them, but I only dropped about an 1".
Old 01-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

exactly...depends how low you want to go.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 AM
NISMOFO

I wan't even considering coil-overs (because of price) until I ran across these basics. Just how much can you lower the car? I see a lot of Z's that look too high in the rear after being lowered, and I assume with the Tein Basics I can set the car (height wise) however I want.

For every adjustment in suspension = another trip to the alignment shop right? That's takes the fun out of being able to adjust it though. This is a really good bang for the buck considering the cost of shocks.]

Prior to this I was planning on Eibach, but didn't know how long I could go on my stock shocks. I think the Tein Basics might be in my future. My car is just a daily driver; it will never be tracked.

Quick Reply: Tein Suspension: Basic Kit vs. Flex Kit