Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Problem with my stoptech ST-22's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 08:10 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with my stoptech ST-22's?

Anyone have this problem with their new ST-22 calipers form Stoptech?

It looks like this metal piece (pad buffer?) was bent on *each* caliper out of the box.. What are the chances of that happening? Manufacturing defect? They were packaged pretty well with shrinkwrap when shipped so I doubt it was because of that..:

This causes the pads to not seat right (too tight).. The installer tried to bend them back but it just didn't work because of the tight tolerances The pads had to be grinded down to slide right.. Otherwise the brakes are great.. however it will be a pain for me to change pads on the fly if I ever need to.

edit: are images not working??

--mike
Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 AM
HanZolo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you unbolt the pad buffer with a hex wrench and bend it back? I think stoptech should send you a new buffer.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:09 AM
leemik
!

That's what was attempted.. but the tolerance was so tight that the pad was still a little too tight..

both calipers had this defect unfortunately..

--mike
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
ezee

The pad holders on my ST-22s looked about the same. Matt at StopTech told me that sometimes the pad edges need to ground down due to the pads not being made exactly to spec. Most pads have a small amount of excess material on the edges of the backing plates that must be removed to bring them within spec.

After grinding the edges flat the pads barely fit, but they went in without further issues. When you buy new pads just grind the edges flat and your "on the fly" changes should be no problem.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM
J Ritt

leemik,
The HPS is having issues with the stock Brembo caliper fitment as well. I think the title of your post should actually read, "problem with Hawk pads." See this post for details.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=72241

Anyway, that abutment plate on the caliper does look a little odd. Please call our technical service manager Matt to talk it over. He is already aware of the issue:
310-325-4799 x105

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:08 PM
leemik
!

Well, on the sides where the abutment plate was not bent, the pads dropped right in and didn't need to be modified.. -- Yes, you read that right, they dropped right in and did not need to be ground down..

on the sides where it was bent, it wouldn't go in at all until the bent plate was straightened... then after that it was very tight--the pads would not slide as it should..

Jeff: thanks for the contact info I will call Matt to see if I can get 2 replacement abutment plates. Stoptech has always had good customer service in this regard... but at this point the brakes are already on the car and to take the calipers off would prolly mean a re-bleed and all that hassle again.

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 01-21-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:37 PM
leemik
!

Just called Matt... once again unbelievable customer service..

They are getting to the root of the problem (if one exists) and it sounds like they have like 10 people working on it LOL.. :thumbsup:

Edit: I just found a picture of my caliper from GSCmotorsports (where i bought the kit):

It's a much sharper picture than mine and you can see the bent abutment plate a little clearer..

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 01-21-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Zenvy

Would this be a problem with all 13" BBK sold for the Z? I bought mine in april of 2003...and have had noise coming from the brakes...

Also, what brakepads do people recommend other than the ones Stoptech uses in their kits? (mainly to get rid of the shrieking noises...too lazy to search)
Old 01-23-2005, 04:06 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by ezee
The pad holders on my ST-22s looked about the same. Matt at StopTech told me that sometimes the pad edges need to ground down due to the pads not being made exactly to spec. Most pads have a small amount of excess material on the edges of the backing plates that must be removed to bring them within spec.

After grinding the edges flat the pads barely fit, but they went in without further issues. When you buy new pads just grind the edges flat and your "on the fly" changes should be no problem.
My pads had to be ground on the edges to make them fit too. Thought it was something to do with the Hawk HPS pads. Didn't notice anything wrong with the calipers, but I'll call Matt at StopTech tomorrow to make sure it isn't a problem with the caliper. I didn't notice any problem with the caliper such as the abutment plate being bent.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:17 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Zenvy
Would this be a problem with all 13" BBK sold for the Z? I bought mine in april of 2003...and have had noise coming from the brakes...

Also, what brakepads do people recommend other than the ones Stoptech uses in their kits? (mainly to get rid of the shrieking noises...too lazy to search)
Zenvy,

I am not aware of any issues with the StopTech front kit. I have had mine since early in 2004 and have not had any problems with it. Is the noise the brake pads or something else?

As for pads I swithched from the Axxis Ultimate pads on the front to Hawk HPS pads when I got my rear kit for two reasons. First the rear kit came with the Hawk pads and I wanted to have the same pads all around. Second the Axxis pads were too dusty, almost as dusty as the stock pads. The only other difference I have noticed is that the Hawk HPS pads don't seem to have as quite as much bite as the Axxis pads do, but the trade off in not having to clean my wheels constantly is worth it. The Hawk pads have very little dust.