Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:06 PM
baron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension recommendations?

I have a 03 track model and I have feathering, now at about 15k miles. I would like my tires replaced and suspension aligned under warranty.

What suspension modifications / sway bars combo will help reduce feathering, and also provide modest improvement in handling? I drive mostly on the street and take my car to the backroads on weekends. I would also like to reduce the bounce (at high speeds) associated with the stock suspension and also improve ride comfort, since I commute in my car.

What are you recommedations at a reasonable price? I have never modded my cars before, so some recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks,
Baron
Old 02-01-2005, 07:54 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything you don't want? Most of things you want are some what opposites so you can't have it both ways. If you want to reduce feathering you need to reduce inner tire wear. To do that you need to run less camber. Doing that will hurt the handling of the car. As for getting rid of the bounce and getting better handling, you will want a stiffer suspension. That of course will hurt the ride comfort. You gotta decide whether you want a family car (perfect tire wear, and great ride comfort) or a sports car (wears tires quickly, and handles like a dream). The trick is finding a balance between the two which is what Nissan attempted to do. If you want less tire wear get camber arms for front and rear. If you want better handling try sway bars and a good set of coilovers. If you want ride comfort don't change out the springs and shocks cause I don't think any of the aftermarket stuff will give as comfortable a ride. I'm thinking camber arms and Tein Basics might be the way to go for you but it is up to you.

Last edited by King Tut; 02-01-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:38 AM
baron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by King Tut
Is there anything you don't want? Most of things you want are some what opposites so you can't have it both ways. If you want to reduce feathering you need to reduce inner tire wear. To do that you need to run less camber. Doing that will hurt the handling of the car. As for getting rid of the bounce and getting better handling, you will want a stiffer suspension. That of course will hurt the ride comfort. You gotta decide whether you want a family car (perfect tire wear, and great ride comfort) or a sports car (wears tires quickly, and handles like a dream). The trick is finding a balance between the two which is what Nissan attempted to do. If you want less tire wear get camber arms for front and rear. If you want better handling try sway bars and a good set of coilovers. If you want ride comfort don't change out the springs and shocks cause I don't think any of the aftermarket stuff will give as comfortable a ride. I'm thinking camber arms and Tein Basics might be the way to go for you but it is up to you.

Thanks for your reply. I understand there is nothing that is best of both worlds, but sometimes what comes from the factory is not optimal.

Some people on this board says that that the bounce and feathering could be reduced by changing out the springs. Is there any truth to this?

What type of sway bars are recommended?

And in regards to tire wear, I believe it is something abnormal and not experienced by all the Z owners.

Thanks,
Baron
Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by baron
And in regards to tire wear, I believe it is something abnormal and not experienced by all the Z owners.
Nope. Trust me, we all wear tires very quickly. Now whether that quick tire wear turns into "feathering" once the tires are really worn depends on some other factors.