Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hotchkis TVS+1 - Before and After - My Impressions w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:37 PM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotchkis TVS+1 - Before and After - My Impressions w/ pics

I did this mod a while ago (6 months) and have recently been getting a lot of PMs regarding the springs .... questioning the ride quality, amount of drop, alignment ability and just how I like it in general.

History: I have a track model, originally with the lightweight rays 18s which were what my first impressions of lowering this car came from. In Jan 04 I lowered the car with Eibach Pro-kit springs (self installed). I LOVED the way it looked ... it was prefectly no-gap, BUT the ride quality was terrible, the car was "floaty" and I could not get into alignment specs at all. Shops back in Indiana at the time didnt even want to try. Needless to say, after 8 weeks ... I ripped em out and went back to stock.

Fast forward to June .... got a great deal on the wheels I wanted, so I sold off the track wheels and mounted my new C4s .... first thing noticed ... woah ... this car is heavy. The car seemed to push through the turns more and just felt not so nimble.

To remedy this ... I read and read and asked for help ... finally concluding I could resolve this (cause there was no way I was getting rid of the wheels ). Along came Greg at GSC and Titanmotorsports ... they advised me and got me great prices on the TVS+1 setup from Hotchkis.

I did a one at a time approach to see the differnces each part made.

First install was the sways ... and what a BIATCH to install around the Borla TD ... I ended up just unclamping it and intalling that way. I set them to full stiff front/med rear .... and headed out for a drive. WOW, quite honestly, as I tell everyone, these were the most bang-for-the-buck and impressive mod I have ever done. Most of my body roll was gone....the car seemed a lot more balanced and seemed to just glide through turns. The "on rails" comments are so true, what a great mod.

Next up were the springs (installed by protocav, since I was too lazy). The initial drop appeared to be about 1/2" F 5/8" R ... but settle to about 0.75" all around, perfect cosmestically for me (in my mind). The ride change was, well, there really wasnt a change when I got in the car ... it just felt lower. The "bounce" was alleviiated significantly though, but not eliminated 100% ... I'd say 80%, again, good in my book.

All in all ... the best $400 I have spent on the car, with the sways being the performance part ... and the springs to me are honestly a cosmetic mod.

Some pics before:

Some pics after: (I really like this first one - got fat tires )

Hope that helps some of you guys out

- jim
Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE>>>

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:15 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i did the springs and then the sways and completely agree with your write up. my sways are med front/soft rear and the handling is way different (better).

and the lips on your rear wheels are huge!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:46 PM
tractng

JimRHIT,

I was one of the guys that asked you. Thanks again.

Just to confirm that you were able to get within spec with the alignment? No camber needed?

Also, you are using stocks shocks?

I am sold on the springs. I will likely get the springs first, then maybe the sway later (funding reason). Just how did you wait until you get the alignment after you dropped it?

How many miles so far on the dropped?

Tony
Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally posted by tractng
JimRHIT,

I was one of the guys that asked you. Thanks again.

Just to confirm that you were able to get within spec with the alignment? No camber needed?

Also, you are using stocks shocks?

I am sold on the springs. I will likely get the springs first, then maybe the sway later (funding reason). Just how did you wait until you get the alignment after you dropped it?

How many miles so far on the dropped?

Tony

hey tractng,

in the same boat with funding...

go to "ebay" and type in hotchkis springs and or sway bars and you will find the springs for $149 shipped and F/B sways for $279 shipped. great deal and good seller!

Zquicksilver
Old 02-10-2005, 08:15 AM
JimRHIT

Sways are $30 cheaper (shipped price $250) elsewhere ...

No alignment acessories needed, but I am most likely getting Cosco front + Kinetix rear pieces, b/c I am going to switch out to coilovers this summer (HKS RS)....the mod bug has got me again

I have 10k miles on it since the drop...tire wear looks ok ... similar to that of my originals after 10k
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Zquicksilver

Originally posted by JimRHIT
Sways are $30 cheaper (shipped price $250) elsewhere ...

No alignment acessories needed, but I am most likely getting Cosco front + Kinetix rear pieces, b/c I am going to switch out to coilovers this summer (HKS RS)....the mod bug has got me again

I have 10k miles on it since the drop...tire wear looks ok ... similar to that of my originals after 10k

hotchkis "sway" bars front and back for $30 less...where?

because i see some combos that have rear sways and front strut bar... and some with a rear sway and some little skinny bar included..?

please tell...

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 02-10-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:41 PM
JimRHIT

www.titanmotorsports.com

I don't of them being called anything else that the F+R Sways for the 350Z ... everywhere I called knew what I was talkin bout

The front sway is significantly larger than the rear (diameter)... maybe thats what you are seeing ...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Zquicksilver

just making sure...

because the pic on the far left is what GSC shows for the TVS +1 kit and the pic on the far right is from Hopup racing.

ebay and optionimports show the middle pic for the TVS + 1 kit...?

i'm sure you got the one in the middle
Old 02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
JimRHIT

yes, the middle pic is correct ... notice the LINEAR springs
Old 02-10-2005, 08:10 PM
ZZtopp

Jim,

Perfect drop.....did you have to roll the fenders with Hotchkis springs?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
JimRHIT

nope No fender rolling or anything....a very good thing. No rubbing isssues at all
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
homiusang

Good write up Jim, hopefully i can get my kit installed this weekend along with the new shoes...
Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 AM
JimRHIT

thanks

guys,

please post up some pictures for everyone when you do get the springs installed.

Also, add your impressions and such to this thread. I would like it to be an account of more than just my experiece, so when someone searches for Hotchkis, they will have all questions answered here, along with some nice pics to make the decision easier

- jim
Old 02-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Road Warrior

wow....looks great
Old 02-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Zquicksilver

nope No fender rolling or anything....a very good thing. No rubbing isssues at all
Amazing...

Did you have your rear camber adjusted back to spec? I am almost certain when I have my rear wheel brought back to a more perpendicular stance I will have to shave or roll my fender. I guess it's because I chose a 295/35/19 tire with a larger side wall than yours...a difference of almost an inch in Dia...

You have the Conit 2 in 295/30/19, right?

Either way your baby looks goooooood!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:48 AM
JimRHIT

With the 295/35 you WILL have to shave em.

I am still running on 275/35 Toyos ... switching out to something larger this summer....and I am expecting to roll the fender at that point.

Thanks for the compliments I have this picture at home that is my favorite of it ever. 7.2MP ...so its a biggie ... I am making a poster out of it ... I will post it when I get home. It is 99% perfect except for the flash rust on the rotors after I washed it I still love the pic.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Zquicksilver

With the 295/35 you WILL have to shave em.

I am still running on 275/35 Toyos ... switching out to something larger this summer....and I am expecting to roll the fender at that point.

Thanks for the compliments I have this picture at home that is my favorite of it ever. 7.2MP ...so its a biggie ... I am making a poster out of it ... I will post it when I get home. It is 99% perfect except for the flash rust on the rotors after I washed it I still love the pic.
I didn't say anything, but I had a feeling the tires in this pic were 275. I've seen the 295 contis and they're about and 1.5" wider!

I like this picture, but don't get a poster made out of it. Go somewhere in the late evening and take another picture with the sun facing your car, not behind it. Too much glare, imo. And make sure there is nothing in the background distracting you from the main object...your Z. Tip, go to a feild, large parking lot, or find a big corragated garage door in a shipping area and use it as a backdrop.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 PM
bwzabodyn

I, too, have to agree with your assessment on the sways vs springs...

I'm still on stock wheels (hopefully only for one more week ) and I installed the sways first (med f/r) and about 4 months later went with the springs (in preparation for my wheels) - I had to get a camber correction kit in the rear to get it back into spec, and the front camber is still wayyy off, but not enough to make me drop $400 more for adjustable a-arms (-1.8 deg front/-1.6 deg rear - toe is perfect on both) - I've gotten so many compliments on how the car sits lately, so I can't imagine what they'll say when I finally get my wheels on...
Old 02-11-2005, 02:54 PM
JimRHIT

Originally posted by Zquicksilver
I didn't say anything, but I had a feeling the tires in this pic were 275. I've seen the 295 contis and they're about and 1.5" wider!

I like this picture, but don't get a poster made out of it. Go somewhere in the late evening and take another picture with the sun facing your car, not behind it. Too much glare, imo. And make sure there is nothing in the background distracting you from the main object...your Z. Tip, go to a feild, large parking lot, or find a big corragated garage door in a shipping area and use it as a backdrop.

I guess my statement was misleading ... I mean I have "a" picture at home, not this one ... it's really neat ... the car is in focus beyond the bush that is in the bottom left of the screen ... you will have to see it ... hard to describe. It is a tad overexposed .... but some pchop can take care of it for me The pic above is an old pic before the Nismo bumper

sorry to hear you had bad luck with the alignment bwzabody (what does that name mean?) ... it has been said that all the cars are a tad different ... hell some cars even get into spec with Eibachs (with a 1.25" drop) ... dont know how but they do.

-jim

Quick Reply: Hotchkis TVS+1 - Before and After - My Impressions w/ pics