Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Springs Uneven?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:51 PM
SkiTTlez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Springs Uneven?!

ok a couple of weeks ago had the Hotchkis springs installed, everythig is all good and settling perfect...EXCEPT that my passenger rear is higher than my drivers rear (by a VERY noticeable several mm)!!! anyone else have this problem, and if so, how to fix???? please advise!!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:14 PM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by SkiTTlez
ok a couple of weeks ago had the Hotchkis springs installed, everythig is all good and settling perfect...EXCEPT that my passenger rear is higher than my drivers rear (by a VERY noticeable several mm)!!! anyone else have this problem, and if so, how to fix???? please advise!!
I have the same issue. I put mine in months ago and the same thing happened. I posted about it but found no answers. It really annoys me even after all this time. I use the old finger measure. The passenger side has a full 2 finger high fender gap while the driver side has less that 1 1/2 finger gap.

I have come to believe it's the car itself. Maybe with stock suspension it is harder to notice. I have been too lazy to swap the springs to see if the problem swaps sides indicating it's the springs.

Does your passenger rear wheel seem to stick out more as well when observed from behind? Mine does.

Wish I had an answer for both our sakes.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:38 PM
GMADD

It probably didn't settle yet.

I had 3 of my BIG friends sit and take a ride for awile, so it settled the same everywere.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:59 PM
tractng

Drive a big chick around, it will settle in (j/k).

Tony
Old 07-12-2005, 08:31 PM
islandsnow

Mine looked like that after settling, pissed me off since it was nismo stuff. I thought i blew the shock in the driver rear because it was about 1/2" lower on that side, but the shocks are fine. I just did a brake job and jacked the car up, now they are even again, go figure. Now i'm going to see how long it takes for it to sag again.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by GMADD
It probably didn't settle yet.

I had 3 of my BIG friends sit and take a ride for awile, so it settled the same everywere.
In my case they have settled. It's been close to a year since I put them in. Still uneven.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:35 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by tractng
Drive a big chick around, it will settle in (j/k).

Tony
Tried That!.......................
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing on my Hotchkis springs.

Having had JICs coil-overs previously on the car and getting it corner balanced, I noticed that the car is not the same weight on all four corners - resulting the right rear being .25" higher.

To fix the problem, I simply cut 1" off of the bottom of the Hotchkis right rear spring and it settled better.

Afterwards, I still managed to get the alignment within OEM specs.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:19 AM
SkiTTlez

Originally Posted by FritzMan
I had the same thing on my Hotchkis springs.

Having had JICs coil-overs previously on the car and getting it corner balanced, I noticed that the car is not the same weight on all four corners - resulting the right rear being .25" higher.

To fix the problem, I simply cut 1" off of the bottom of the Hotchkis right rear spring and it settled better.

Afterwards, I still managed to get the alignment within OEM specs.
that is what i have thought about as well if it doesn't even out. i have mneasured it every day and it stays consistently several mm off...how long ago did you cut your spring? everything still cool with it? thanks so much
Old 07-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Asterix

Good quality springs should never settle. I've measured a couple of pairs of aftermarket springs (for a different car) and the difference was as large as 35lb/in. Yes, that was the two springs in the same box. The brands were Tokiko and TRD. I was amazed.

If I were you, I'd complain and send them back because they're defective. If you don't want to do that, put the stiffer ones on the driver's side. Measure your ride height with 1/2 tank of gas and you sitting in the driver's seat. If it's still uneven, you'll get to shim the low side.

Asterix
Old 07-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Springs really shouldn't settle as Asterix stated. They do seat themselves a bit, but that takes place upon the first time you drive the car. The thing is, the car isn't symmetrical to the tune of all 4 corners being exactly the same weight. Add to that the weight of a driver and a passenger. On top of that, the gas tank sits on the passenger side of the vehicle. 15 or so gallons of gas is a good 120 lbs or so.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 PM
ZinMiami

I gave Hotchkis a call and described the situation since I have the same problem. They recommended switching the springs side to side to see if the problem follows the spring.

They also gave me the calculated ride height based on their original test vehicle usng software that takes my particular tire/wheel size into account. I have 275/35/19 rears. The approxomate expected ride height floor to fender lip edge is 26.75" for the rear and 25.75 for the front.

They also indicated that when they corner balanced they found that the Z is heavier in the driver rear corner than in the passenger rear corner. The numbers are driver/rear=745 lbs to a passenger/rear=731 lbs. So you can see there is a 14 lb bias on the side that rides lower. Now is 14lbs enough to cause the 1/4" height differential? I wouldn't think so but then again the Hotchkis rear springs are a "softer" spring than stock.

Well thats all the info I could dig up. I guess we have to do a spring side-to-side swap to eliminate the springs from being the culprits. Maybe I will, maybe I will just live with it. Lets see how I feel about it tis weekend.

Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:46 AM
islandsnow

Thanks for the info, that was pretty interesting since i thought i had a faulty pair of springs. If it doesn't affect handling then i'll leave it as is. I wonder if anyone will sell like a dense rubber spring cup thing that is like 5mm so it doesn't affect spring rates, but give it that height to match the other side?