Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stoptech guys....pads????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 12:51 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stoptech guys....pads????

I have the stoptech 13.1" front BBK and the Axxis ultimate pads that come with the kit SUCK. They dust like CRAZY and fade very quickly. I was thinking about a set of Hawk HPS pads for the street since I ran them with my stock brakes and they worked great with much less dust and fade then stock.

Any other recommendations for a street pad that fits the ST-40 calipers that doesn't dust as much as the Axxis pads.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:42 PM
imalazeeass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the stoptech 13's in the front w/ hawk hps.. i still have my oem brembos in the rear and i was just comparing them today after a week of driving.. my rear rim is like BROWN while the front is still shiny. I love the hawks! I think you sacrifice some brake power tho..
Old 09-03-2005, 05:14 PM
J Ritt

BriGuy,
The HPS will definitely be a lot less dusty than the Ultimates, but they will not have nearly as much bite. The same goes for the Axxis Deluxe Plus. As for fade, the Ultimate has a higher Max Operating Temp than either of those. In fact, they have greater fade resistance than pretty much every pure street pad on the market. If you go to something more track-oriented on the street, you'll definitely have to put up with more dust. It's all about tradeoffs.

How exactly are you fading them? Have you bed them in properly?
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

For fade resistance you'd want to go either BHP XPS, or Pagid Orange. Both will be dusty.
For low dust, Hawk HPS or Deluxe Plus...both will have less bite.

You have to pick your goals. Unfortunately, there's no magic compound that can work silently, without dust, under all temps!
Old 09-03-2005, 06:36 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the StopTech 13.1" front kit and swithed to the Hawk HPS pads too. Jeff (J Ritt) is correct the HPS pads don't have as much bite the Axxis Ultimates do, but the tradeoff of having less dust is worth it to me. I like the HPS pads for that reason. Plus I can always switch back to the Ultimate pads if I want to. My rear kit also came with the HPS pads.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:13 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could care less about brake dust, it's so easy to clean off.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by J Ritt
BriGuy,
The HPS will definitely be a lot less dusty than the Ultimates, but they will not have nearly as much bite. The same goes for the Axxis Deluxe Plus. As for fade, the Ultimate has a higher Max Operating Temp than either of those. In fact, they have greater fade resistance than pretty much every pure street pad on the market. If you go to something more track-oriented on the street, you'll definitely have to put up with more dust. It's all about tradeoffs.

How exactly are you fading them? Have you bed them in properly?
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

For fade resistance you'd want to go either BHP XPS, or Pagid Orange. Both will be dusty.
For low dust, Hawk HPS or Deluxe Plus...both will have less bite.

You have to pick your goals. Unfortunately, there's no magic compound that can work silently, without dust, under all temps!
I know I can't get the best of both worlds with a brake pad, but these pads (Axxis Ultimates) just simply have not impressed me. I did bed them in correctly. I went out @ 1am when no one else was on the road to make sure I did the bed-in procedure exactly as prescribed.

I'm fading them on 2-3 subsequent stops from 100+mph, they start to smoke pretty good and fade. I never had a fade issue with HPS pads on my stock brakes, granted I didn't have near 500hp then, but they still never let me down..and they seemed to have plenty of bite.

I'm still undecided on what to do. I don't drive my car every day..but I get sick of the front wheels turning black after 2 days of short drives. Oh well, you have to deal with stuff like this for increased braking performance so I'll live.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The Hawk HPS have Zero Bite and dont stop as solid as stock brakes with good pads...

Im thinking of putting my Axxis Ultimates on just to get some better bite...

For track, I want to get a set of Pagid Organes...
Old 09-05-2005, 06:45 AM
zillinois

Brian, I'm running the HPS on the street and they are low dust. The bite is not as bad as everyone says, but they do fade quickly. Move to a race pad and you will get tons of dust, but you will stop. The other thing about race pads is they squeak like hell and they don't always stop the first time or at least until they get hot. I threw the Axiss out almost right away. They are a miserable pad.

My suggestion, do what some of the track ****** do, run the HPS during the week, and switch to the race compound on the weekend when you know you're going to be catting around. Performance Friction 01's or Cobalt Friction will get you some serious stopping power repeatedly. But be prepared to head to the car wash after a night of thrashing.

Last edited by zillinois; 09-05-2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by zillinois
Brian, I'm running the HPS on the street and they are low dust. The bite is not as bad as everyone says, but they do fade quickly. Move to a race pad and you will get tons of dust, but you will stop. The other thing about race pads is they squeak like hell and they don't always stop the first time or at least until they get hot. I threw the Axiss out almost right away. They are a miserable pad.

My suggestion, do what some of the track ****** do, run the HPS during the week, and switch to the race compound on the weekend when you know you're going to be catting around. Performance Friction 01's or Cobalt Friction will get you some serious stopping power repeatedly. But be prepared to head to the car wash after a night of thrashing.

Sounds like a plan I've heard fantastic things about the PF 01 compound...I'm probably going to go ahead with a set of HPS pads for the street.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 AM
dnguyent

The only thing going for the HPS is the low dust. Other than that attribute, I really don't like them at all. I used to hate the dust that the Axxis Ultimates produced until I tried the HPS. Now, I'm back to the Ultimates for good bite on the street.

Yep that dust sucks, but not as much as the lack of bite from the HPS pads. If you don't mind pressing down on the brake pedal harder to get the same stopping power, then the HPS is a good option for you.