Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

355 mm Brembo vs 355 mm Stoptech vs Brembo Stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 01:12 PM
love_350z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 355 mm Brembo vs 355 mm Stoptech vs Brembo Stock

There is a new article on Sport Compact Car magazine, comming out this comming month comparing big brake kits on 350z.

This is the result for stoping distance from 60-0:
355 mm Front Brembo Brake (stock rear): 110 feet
355 mm Front Stoptech Brake (stock rear): 113 feet
Stock Brembo on 350z (front and rear): 115 feet

I try to do a little survey here: Disregard the price (assuming all those three setups cost same amount of money), only about performance

WHICH BRAKE SYSTEM WOULD YOU HAVE ON YOUR Z FROM THE ABOVE KITS IF THEY ALL COST THE SAME?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60-0 isn't why most people buy a BBK and a difference of 5 feet means nothing on a track where pads and brake fade are more important. Was the test done with the same pad compound for all 3 systems? I would still buy the Stoptech kit, and I wasn't aware of any Brembo BBK upgrade other than the OEM Brembos.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
halitosis

Track OEM Brembos don't actually use Brembo rotors, is my understanding. Only calipers and pads.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
tig488

brembo makes a 355mm GT series BBK for the front only, i have it.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 PM
love_350z
Banned

Guys,
I ask you to vote....I didn't ask you to give your opinion...this is a poll.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Landbarger

You should make it a poll, otherwise we're all giving our opinions along with answers. And +1 to King Tut, it's not about the 60-0, it's about the 60-30, 120-70, 140-130 (x4), 60-30, etc. I want to know the 60-0 after a thirty minute lap session. STOPTECH GETS MY VOTE.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
ssc

355mm brembos of course, if the price was not a factor....bling and performance
Old 09-22-2005, 03:06 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

355mm STOPTECH
Old 09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
John

Originally Posted by love_350z
There is a new article on Sport Compact Car magazine, comming out this comming month comparing big brake kits on 350z.

This is the result for stoping distance from 60-0:
355 mm Front Brembo Brake (stock rear): 110 feet
355 mm Front Stoptech Brake (stock rear): 113 feet
Stock Brembo on 350z (front and rear): 115 feet

I try to do a little survey here: Disregard the price (assuming all those three setups cost same amount of money), only about performance

WHICH BRAKE SYSTEM WOULD YOU HAVE ON YOUR Z FROM THE ABOVE KITS IF THEY ALL COST THE SAME?
This is a retarded thread for several reasons.

1) This isn't actually a poll, rather a "post what you would rather have"
2) The test isn't accurate since all the "kits" come with different pads; a more aggressive pad is going to have a little better initial bite at top speeds
3) While I haven't seen the article, I always question the methodology of testing
4) Since you said money wasn't an issue, then I'll take the ATS carbon brake kit from the R34 Skyline and find a way to retrofit it
Old 09-22-2005, 05:14 PM
King Tut

Originally Posted by John
4) Since you said money wasn't an issue, then I'll take the ATS carbon brake kit from the R34 Skyline and find a way to retrofit it
No fair thats not one of the "poll" options.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:37 PM
love_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by John
This is a retarded thread for several reasons.

1) This isn't actually a poll, rather a "post what you would rather have"
2) The test isn't accurate since all the "kits" come with different pads; a more aggressive pad is going to have a little better initial bite at top speeds
3) While I haven't seen the article, I always question the methodology of testing
They all use same brake pads.....Testing using computer technique to calculate stopping distance.....get a new Sport Com Pac Mag to find out more.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Tires make the most difference in single stop distances.

BBK's will allow you to maintain those distances when the brakes are hot.

Hopefully one day SOMEONE will do a meaningful test with the same tires & same brake bads. So far all prior tests are pure BS with all the variables.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

StopTech, even if only for the excellent product support (not to mention the proven results on the racetrack using the EXACT SAME components that they sell in their BBK.)

Like others have posted, a single stop from 60 is a very poor comparison test of brake kits, especially if the pads and tires are different.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:48 AM
King Tut

They all use same brake pads.....
I plan to pick up the mag but what pad was used?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 AM

They all use same brake pads.....Testing using computer technique to calculate stopping distance.....get a new Sport Com Pac Mag to find out more.

What....testing using computer technique to calc stopping distance?

Was this a computer simulation or a real life test??? If it was a simulation...we all know how good that is.

And what if I don't wanna buy the mag...can't you just give us more details or scan it in??
Old 09-23-2005, 05:44 AM
G35audioman

I find it funny that people are stating one brand or another without really reading the article or seeing exactly what was stated.

I'll reserve my vote until i read the article...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:18 AM
love_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by GaryM05
StopTech, even if only for the excellent product support (not to mention the proven results on the racetrack using the EXACT SAME components that they sell in their BBK.)

Like others have posted, a single stop from 60 is a very poor comparison test of brake kits, especially if the pads and tires are different.
You vote dont count.... you are biased...you own a pair of 13.1 inch Stoptech....LOL....by the way people, if you go for big brake kit...please go for 355 mm(14 inch) ones, not 338 mm (13 inch) which is .24 inch bigger than Stock Brembo Stock (12.76). What's the point? Mind as well get the stock brembo for cheaper price.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 AM
AznIceRckt

my humble opinion on stoptech...

is that they are significantly overpriced for what you get. it is a great product... see them at shows, forums, and at the track. they work great.

stoptech was founded in 1999... brembo has been around for over 60 years... brembo is named after the brembo river... , stoptech means (i think)... stopping-technology? creative, not for me though. (at the price).

i came really close to springing for a nice 14" 4/4 piston stoptech. then i went to a few shows that month, and saw over 10 cars sponsored by stoptech... among them stupid vehicles with scissor doors, neon... things like that. if you pay stoptech's price... your money goes to the sponsorship of the cars. i hate that. it is called business. it is promotion of your product. everyone does it, some more obviously then others. newer companies need to advertise to make their name. now there is this incredible saturation in the market of new companies making things that aren't reliable. take kinetix racing.. I recall lots of people having problems with their plenums.. at minimum they were trying to target a lower price point.

lots of forumites will stand up for their stoptechs because they shelled out a few grand... when they could have an ap racing for the same cost... or a brembo for slightly more. it is called-- being biased.

Now... brembo and ap racing wouldn't sponsor you if you begged them... they are too busy winning f1 nascar wrc and other races. When was the last time you saw a brembo sponsored car that WASN'T built by a large company/tuner.

To me, it is a process of valuation. It I pay 4k for a stoptech kit, I sure as hell better not see some extravagent show car who got the same brakes for free, and sees no track time. I'd surely rather pay more for a brembo kit... and crack a large smile every time a race car goes by (that has brembos)..
Old 09-23-2005, 09:27 AM
love_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by AznIceRckt
my humble opinion on stoptech...

is that they are significantly overpriced for what you get. it is a great product... see them at shows, forums, and at the track. they work great.

stoptech was founded in 1999... brembo has been around for over 60 years... brembo is named after the brembo river... , stoptech means (i think)... stopping-technology? creative, not for me though. (at the price).

i came really close to springing for a nice 14" 4/4 piston stoptech. then i went to a few shows that month, and saw over 10 cars sponsored by stoptech... among them stupid vehicles with scissor doors, neon... things like that. if you pay stoptech's price... your money goes to the sponsorship of the cars. i hate that. it is called business. it is promotion of your product. everyone does it, some more obviously then others. newer companies need to advertise to make their name. now there is this incredible saturation in the market of new companies making things that aren't reliable. take kinetix racing.. I recall lots of people having problems with their plenums.. at minimum they were trying to target a lower price point.

lots of forumites will stand up for their stoptechs because they shelled out a few grand... when they could have an ap racing for the same cost... or a brembo for slightly more. it is called-- being biased.

Now... brembo and ap racing wouldn't sponsor you if you begged them... they are too busy winning f1 nascar wrc and other races. When was the last time you saw a brembo sponsored car that WASN'T built by a large company/tuner.

To me, it is a process of valuation. It I pay 4k for a stoptech kit, I sure as hell better not see some extravagent show car who got the same brakes for free, and sees no track time. I'd surely rather pay more for a brembo kit... and crack a large smile every time a race car goes by (that has brembos)..
I TOTALLY AGREE W/ YOU
Old 09-23-2005, 09:36 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I just want to caution consumers regarding selecting a brake kit. A large brake kit does not significantly improve a 60-0 stopping distance the first time you stop. The larger brake does significantly improve stopping distances when you do repeated hard braking. You can do a search on braking test on google and find sites that have done repeated panic braking. You will find stock brakes begin to fade (take longer to stop) dramatically after 3 - 4 stops thus if you are tracking or aggressively driving windy roads, the large brake kit works much better than stock. A single stop 60-0 test does not truly measure the ability of a brake system (Large brakes vs. smaller).

Last edited by zland; 09-23-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 355 mm Brembo vs 355 mm Stoptech vs Brembo Stock