Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

rotors cant be turned?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:21 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rotors cant be turned?

i took the front rotors off my z yesterday to get them turned, but the place said they couldnt do it. Apparently the rotors are too thin to be turned and i would have to buy new ones. I ended up having to put everything back together, pretty much wasting my whole afternoon. Can you not turn the oem rotors? Or was the place i took them to full of ****.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:10 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by mc350z
it depends on how bad they are worn. under normal circumstances they can be turned at least once before they get too thin and have to be replaced.

but its quite possible they are too thin. im not sure what the minimum standard is for being able to still turn them. hopefully someone else oh here can help you out with that

but you can uprgade to stoptech OEM replacement rotors slotted or drilled for around $100 a rotor. that might be something to consider
link to rotors?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:12 AM
EdgeOfSanity

nevermind, i found them. Would slotted or drilled be better?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:13 AM
roark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The minimum widths are cast into the hub (hat) If the micrometer shows about .25mm over min, they should be able to be turned.

I had to show the Pep Boys guys the numbers before they'd agree to turn them. If the guys just looks at the inboard and outboard plate, and see that the inboard is thinner, they make the snap judgement that the inboard plate is too far worn.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:25 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by roark
The minimum widths are cast into the hub (hat) If the micrometer shows about .25mm over min, they should be able to be turned.

I had to show the Pep Boys guys the numbers before they'd agree to turn them. If the guys just looks at the inboard and outboard plate, and see that the inboard is thinner, they make the snap judgement that the inboard plate is too far worn.
they used the micrometer on the contact surface and said it was far too thin to turn.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdgeOfSanity
i took the front rotors off my z yesterday to get them turned, but the place said they couldnt do it. Apparently the rotors are too thin to be turned and i would have to buy new ones. I ended up having to put everything back together, pretty much wasting my whole afternoon. Can you not turn the oem rotors? Or was the place i took them to full of ****.
How many miles do you have on your Z?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:04 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by BlueDragonZ
How many miles do you have on your Z?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 PM
showstoppertk

yeah I just did my brakes at 23k miles and they said the front rotors were too worn to turn so I had to buy new ones, but the rear were still good enough to turn. if I'd know how far out of spec they were I would've just bought the brake upgrade kit from jason at performance nissan. I think it runs about $450 and it comes with slotted stoptech rotors, hawk hps pads, motul fluid and braided steel lines, that'll def be what I go with the next time around. you should PM jason for more info.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:31 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh snap!!! I'm at 26k miles now and i haven't even had anything done to the car. I've been doing my own oil changes every 3k miles and about two months ago replaced all pads to Hawks. I didn't even think of looking at my rotors. Okay how can I visually inspect them myself to see if they need turned or repalced, what am I looking for??? So the brake upgrade will run about $450, is that on all fours??? hmm need to research this now.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:39 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
yeah I just did my brakes at 23k miles and they said the front rotors were too worn to turn so I had to buy new ones, but the rear were still good enough to turn. if I'd know how far out of spec they were I would've just bought the brake upgrade kit from jason at performance nissan. I think it runs about $450 and it comes with slotted stoptech rotors, hawk hps pads, motul fluid and braided steel lines, that'll def be what I go with the next time around. you should PM jason for more info.
i'd go for that but i dont feel like replacing the rear rotors since they're just fine. I also have the hawk brake pads front and rear. I think what i'll probably do is just buy the front rotors for now along with the brake lines and brake fluid.