Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What is the proper way to remove and install the stock strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Beeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the proper way to remove and install the stock strut bar?

I ran a search and read every post that contained "strut bar". I didn't find a conclusive answer.

When I tried to reinstall the strut bar after installing a grounding kit it didn't line up. I had to loosen the left nut on the strut bar about one turn and basically make the strut bar shorter so the holes would line up. The car was on the ground when I was doing this. When I installed headers the car was on a lift and I didn't have this problem.

When installing the strut bar should the car be lifted off the ground to remove the pressure on the suspension? What is the proper procedure to adjust it? I assume it should be on a lift and the bar should be adjusted so the holes line up properly. That way when the car is on the ground the weight should put just enough stress on the strut bar.

I'm sorry if this has be answered before. I tried to find the answer but struck out.

I am installing a Motordyne plenum spacer this week and I will be removing the strut bar again. When I am done installing the plenum spacer I am going to have to install shims under the strut bar so it clears the higher plenum. The instructions that came with the plenum spacer mention how to adjust the strut bar but I don't fully understand what to do. The instructions don't mention to raise the car when installling the strut bar but I have a feeling I should.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM
need Z

Yes, lift the front end.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Lifting isn't necessary, the strut bar only stiffens the front end, it doesn't provide any adjustment to the suspension.

The easiest way to do it is this - loosen the two lock nuts. The center nut has a black dot on it and it should be facing the back of the car. Turn it toward the back to loosen it, keep track of the dot position and turn it around about 1-3/4 turns until the dot is facing up. Now remove the bolts and nut from each of the mounts and disconnect the wire looms from the mounts and remove it.

When you reinstall it, you just tighten the center nut the same 1-3/4 turns to place the proper pressure back on the strutbar. You may need to tweak the center nut to force the strutbar up to clear the plenum or down to avoid rubbing on the hood.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Beeker

DavesZ#3, thank you for the info. I already adjusted it before I knew the correct way. So I don't have the correct starting point. I am thinking that if I put it on a lift and adjust it so the holes line up that should be the proper tension???
Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I follow what you're trying to do but I'm not sure it's necessary. The service manual doesn't include any specs on tension and doesn't say anything about unloading the suspension.

The only parameters they give other than bolt torque for the 4 mounting bolts is a clearance range above the upper plenum. They state that you must have between 10 and 17 mm of clearance. Before you put on the spacer, try to get it adjusted so that you have the proper clearance, especially if you can end with the dot to the back of the car. Then count the number of turns when you remove it to do the spacer install and re-tighten it by the same amount.