Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Finally installed- Tokico D-spec.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Ztalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally installed- Tokico D-spec.

Well...paid too much for my Tokico shocks.....should have checked with ebay first.
i started with the rears first...no problems at all, very straight forward ......took less than two hours in my garage. The fronts i had to take the Z to my buddy's shop where i borrowed a tool to undo the springs on both the front struts (not recommended for first timers). In order to remove the front stock struts from the Z, you'll have to unbolt both lower control arm with a19mm socket (after loosening the torsion bar). Power tools are a must for this install. The tower strut bar also must be removed first before you can remove the struts. Took me approx. 3 full hours for do the fronts. No complications.
The RESULT.....
the famous Z's suspension bounce definitely disappeared, i adjusted all four shocks 4 complete turns (counterclockwise) from Full hard. Instructions suggested 5-full turns for normal driving.The ride is now firm but not harsh....exactly what Nissan should have provided from day one. I highly recommend this mod.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:23 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i put my tokicos in last week. i also had to take my fronts to a shop to get those damn bolts off. I have a question about the adjustments since i bought them used and didn't get the adjustment tool. I just used an allen key instead. When you adjust the screw does it click, or just turn, and after about two full turns does it get really easy to turn? Also, does the allen screw turn all the way out or is it supposed to stop at a certain point?

thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by hndumafia
i put my tokicos in last week. i also had to take my fronts to a shop to get those damn bolts off. I have a question about the adjustments since i bought them used and didn't get the adjustment tool. I just used an allen key instead. When you adjust the screw does it click, or just turn, and after about two full turns does it get really easy to turn? Also, does the allen screw turn all the way out or is it supposed to stop at a certain point?

thanks!

i suggest you use the original Tokico adjustment tool.......but anyways, the instructions suggest that you turn clockwise all the way to full hard (STOP)and turn 5 full 360 degree turn counterclockwise to the daily driving mode. Only the tool can tell you when you have made one complete turn. There are no clicks or any frictions when you turn the ***... ......yes its easy to turn once you've started turning......... caution! if you use the wrong allen wrench you might strip the screw. BTW.....the hole on the top of the strut where you insert the adjustment tool should be packed with grease. Good luck
Old 11-19-2005, 07:28 AM
jjellyneck

I'm new with the Tokicos, so...can you make adjustments to the front and rear while the dampers are on the car?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by jjellyneck
I'm new with the Tokicos, so...can you make adjustments to the front and rear while the dampers are on the car?
my friend, the deal with these D-spec Tokicos is that the rears must be removed from the wheelwell in order to be adjusted unless you enlarge the access hole from behind your rear trunk area and use a 30$ tool that Performance nissan will sell you. i'd just set it at 4 turns from full hard and leave it there. AS for the fronts, you can access from under the hood of your car.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:59 AM
hndumafia

Originally Posted by Ztalker
i suggest you use the original Tokico adjustment tool.......but anyways, the instructions suggest that you turn clockwise all the way to full hard (STOP)and turn 5 full 360 degree turn counterclockwise to the daily driving mode. Only the tool can tell you when you have made one complete turn. There are no clicks or any frictions when you turn the ***... ......yes its easy to turn once you've started turning......... caution! if you use the wrong allen wrench you might strip the screw. BTW.....the hole on the top of the strut where you insert the adjustment tool should be packed with grease. Good luck
thank you very much! that is what i was hoping to hear. I am going to call up tokico to see if i can buy the adjustment tool from them. I assumed with the allen key that one full turn is just when the key made one full rotation.

As for making the adjustments to the rear, it is very easy to remove the rears and adjust them, though not something I would want to do everyday. It just requires you to jack up the rear and remove two bolts.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:29 PM
350ZREDLINE

I originally put my tokico shocks at 4 turns from full stiff. I felt this was way to soft. Then i went and made it 3 turns from full stiff. This is better but i would prefer just a tad stiffer. thinking of trying 2 turns from full stiff. But i do agree. This is so far the best mod i have done to my car (STEREO close 2nd! :P)... i am using RS-R springs as well.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:36 PM
jjellyneck

Originally Posted by 350ZREDLINE
I originally put my tokico shocks at 4 turns from full stiff. I felt this was way to soft. Then i went and made it 3 turns from full stiff. This is better but i would prefer just a tad stiffer. thinking of trying 2 turns from full stiff. But i do agree. This is so far the best mod i have done to my car (STEREO close 2nd! :P)... i am using RS-R springs as well.
A great mod even with the stock springs? I think that my G coupe could definitely use some better dampers--most noticeable under hard cornering.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:31 PM
CrazyMike

I've got D Specs on my OEM coupe springs. They do make a nice difference. I usually keep them on 5 turns from full stiff for daily driving and crank them down to 3.5 or 4 for autox.

An allen wrench should suffice for making adjustments, just make sure it fits in the adjuster without slop. You should never have to crank it so hard it would strip the adjuster!

If you can jack up the rear, it should only take about 20 minutes to adjust. Just jack it up, remove the nuts from the tops of the shocks and pull down. Then remove the cap and adjust. Definately easier if the wheels are removed, but not a necessity...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:06 PM
hndumafia

i have my shocks 1 turn from stiff on the front and 2 turns from stiff on the rear. doesn't seem bad even for daily driving.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:45 PM
rolling

Hey Let me clear up a couple things here, i have had these these shocks for about 8 mos now i like them well enough to put them on 2 Z's.

for adjustment you need 3mm allen wrench you need the extra length for the rears.
you do not ned to buy the tokico tool. (all it is is a very short allen wrench in a screw types of protector with a keychain.

for rear adjustment you do NOT need to remove them. only drill a small hole under the plastic rear strut cover on the ends ubove where the shocks would be.

the adjustment is smoothe no clicks marks or markings, you have to remember how far you turn them. if you go to far they WILL come out. and have hard time getting them back in (ask me how i know) hehe thats why they say start from full clockwise position.
(hard)

youll enjoy them i sure did !!

its the perfect mod for stock springs (as they were designed) espically for 03's 04's
Old 11-20-2005, 11:01 PM
hndumafia

rolling - can you take a picture of where you drilled the holes please? being able to adjust the shocks without having to jack up the car sure would be nice!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 AM
jjellyneck

Thanks for the info! Seems like a great mod. I'm going to add the Tokicos and probably some Stillen anti sway bars next spring.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:34 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by hndumafia
rolling - can you take a picture of where you drilled the holes please? being able to adjust the shocks without having to jack up the car sure would be nice!
i wish i could but i have traded my Z for a 06 and have not done the shox yet.

or i would gladly show ya.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:37 PM
rolling

ALSO just be sure you DO NOT install the adjustment screw caps in the rear or you WILL have to remove them to make adjustments
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 AM
apharmdb

Have any of you guys tracked the Tokico's? If so what setting are you using? I've gotten some feedback but would like more to help with the initial setup. Please also let me know what springs you are running and sways / settings if applicable. Thanks in advance. BTW - I should be getting my set in tomorrow - woooo hooooo! !
Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 AM
apharmdb

bump - anyone with experience and feedback on tracking the Tokico's?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:51 AM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by apharmdb
Have any of you guys tracked the Tokico's? If so what setting are you using? I've gotten some feedback but would like more to help with the initial setup. Please also let me know what springs you are running and sways / settings if applicable. Thanks in advance. BTW - I should be getting my set in tomorrow - woooo hooooo! !
Yes, I have tracked the Tokicos. I used them to finish 2nd place in the Street RWD class in the Redlime Time Attack at Spring Mountain last month.

I used 1 turn from full stiff in front, 1.5 turns from full stiff in the rear. I was using Espelir springs (slightly stiffer than the RS*R springs) and Hotckis sways, set at full stiff front, middle in the rear.

I should point out that I was also using 257/40-17 Falken RT-615's on 5Zigen 17x9 FN01R-C wheels all around. With this setup, the car turns in nicely, and the suspension is not too stiff, so you still can get the power down out of the corners. The balance was very good, with just a slight oversteer (no more understeer!).

By the way, this track (Spring Mountain) is pretty smooth. You made need to reduce the dampening settings somewhat if the track you run on is more bumpy.

I usually leave the rears set to 1.5 turns from full stiff all the time and turn the fronts to 2.5 to 3 turns from full stiff in the front for street driving.

Hope that helps...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

knight_white99, do you happen to have any pics of your Espelir springs? Not the car on the springs, but the springs themselves?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:53 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
knight_white99, do you happen to have any pics of your Espelir springs? Not the car on the springs, but the springs themselves?
No, I don't have any pictures of them. But I could take a pic or two of them as they are installed on the car tomorrow, if you really want. There are a few places on line that sell them that have pics.

Quick Reply: Finally installed- Tokico D-spec.