Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What Brake Pads are good for Track w/ StopTech BBKs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question What Brake Pads are good for Track w/ StopTech BBKs?

Hello-

i'd thought i'd ask those with the StopTech BBKs which pads they were using on the track. I have the ST40s upfront currently with the Axxis Metal Master street pads and i'll be doing some light/medium tracking this weekend.

just wanted to see which pads are decent without breaking the bank...

i was looking at the Hawk HT-10s , Pagid RS 4-4 (Orange), and the StopTech Club Race..

any suggestions?

thanks!

--Cheston
Old 12-14-2005, 08:24 PM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porterfield R4 or R4S. Cobalt GT-Sport. Of course I have no idea if these makers offer pads to fit the Stoptechs.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...&Submit=Search
Old 12-14-2005, 11:15 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
You work late...

Cheston,

Here is a complete list of brake pads that we carry for the ST-40
http://www.stoptech.com/products/BBK/st-40.htm

Here is my suggestion for picking out pads. Start out with a club race pad such as the Pagid Orange. A lot of people like that pad. See how you like it. If you overstep the bounds of the club race pads, step up to a full race pad.

Race pads are very much a "try it out and see what you like" deal. There will be a lot of personal preference to which ones people like.

Originally Posted by jimster716
Porterfield R4 or R4S. Cobalt GT-Sport. Of course I have no idea if these makers offer pads to fit the Stoptechs.
Here is some info that might help you out with that.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#20

Hope that helps you guys out.

Last edited by StopTech; 12-15-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

always working late.. :-/
Old 12-15-2005, 04:31 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been impressed with the Cobalt Friction Spec-VR. This is a full race pad, and is somewhat on the pricey side, but it held up with no fade over several sessions on a very brake-heavy track (the now-defunct Second Creek Raceway), and allowed me to brake quite a bit later than I had been able to with my previous track pad (Carbotech XP-8).

Rotor wear with this pad appears to be minimal, although I change it out before and after each track day, so I'm not driving on it cold.

All of the pads that have been mentioned in this thread have good reputations. And like a previous poster said, a lot of this decision comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

WOOT WOOT.

i picked up the Pagid Orange as suggested by Howard @ Stoptech.... My friend Kevin just installed his Oranges yesterday too in his 4wheel BBK for his 05 G35.. after the bed in it was freakin awesome... grabbed very nicely.. i used that street off lomita that Stoptech always uses.. thats a good street long straight and NO cross traffic.

i did notice that my new Oranges prevented the bridge from going down so i had to shave a little off the top of the metal section of the pad but other than that it was all good. QUICK install (relatively) after i got the bridge to fit in correctly...

i'm off to buttonwillow tomorrow so i'll post a review... i was running on my Axxis Metal Masters street pads prior... (fyi: i only changed the front pads)

we'll see
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

update.

wow. the Pagid Oranges bite VERY nicely @ the track!!! torque is very predictable...

the relative track conditions @ buttonwillow (config 1, CW) this past saturday was decent for driving.. ambient temps were 45-55 degrees.

after the pads warmed up (along with everything else on the car) i had superb grabs on the long straights!!

the Drag strip -> Star Mazda Turn, Esses ->Sunset, and main straight ->sunrise.. 110mph+ down to ??? all i know was it was freaking sweet.
WOW!

i had alot of dust and strangely, there's these distinct heat patch on the pads after i swapped them out back to my street pads (???) ... i noticed this too on my friend Kevin's G35 (4wheel 13" BBK) that was running the same pads up front. well.

i didnt notice any fade throughout the day, i'm quite happy with these pads.. definately recommended.