Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Big Brake Kits - Why get anything besides Stoptech?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
tekk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Kits - Why get anything besides Stoptech?

Forgive my ignorance, but besides name and cost, why would anyone go for any BBK brands other than stoptech?

Is the support on Brembo, AP, and other BBK brands as good as Stoptechs? Could someone point out the pros of the other brands? It seems that Stoptech is an enthusiest oriented company and that (for now at least) they are really trying to perfect their products (and seem to be releasing parts as good as anyone elses if not better). Other brands such as Brembo for example, dont even make parts such as 2pc rotors readily available (or am i wrong?) Nor are they around the forums, nor do they release much information,tips,contacts etc.

While I'm talking about Brembo, the most confusing part about them imo is that they wont release their best product- the Carbon Ceramic Brake. Not even my boss could get them and he owns a car company(!) Beyond that, they don't even provide upgrades to their own OEM products. What sense does that make?

Anyway, this leads me to wonder if brands such as Brembo are like Ferrari- unbeatable image, name, and looks but really less than stellar rate real world performance and reliability, at best.

Am I looking at everything the wrong way? Have I been suckered by advertising and marketing? I hope this question isn't inappropriate.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and your point is?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have personal experience with any BBK, so feel free to interrupt me here, but it seems a lot of people have picked up Wilwoods for much cheaper, and they perform probably as well or better.

I agree, Stoptech seems to put a lot of research into their brakes. And anything on Cheston's car is an instant "OK" in my book. But is Stoptech the only answer? No.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:29 PM
ActionJackson

Endless Brakes for example? Mmmmmm
Old 02-02-2006, 01:28 AM
r26

i think your question should be "why get brembos"? that's what it sounds like to me
Old 02-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brembo is an OEM supplier based in Italy, focusing on the European market.

StopTech is an American aftermarket manufacturer.

It just makes sense that we hear more from StopTech around here. They do offer great support and are particularly active in the tuner scene. Plus, their products are top quality.

It doesn’t mean other options are not good. AP, Willwood and many other brands are also good value.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 AM
tekk

Originally Posted by r26
i think your question should be "why get brembos"? that's what it sounds like to me
not necessarily, I use them as a prime example, but as far as I know the same could be said of AP and Wilwood. I've heard good things about Zeal coilovers. Endless is the same company, correct?

Do all of these BBKs perform similarly?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
r26

Originally Posted by tekk
not necessarily, I use them as a prime example, but as far as I know the same could be said of AP and Wilwood. I've heard good things about Zeal coilovers. Endless is the same company, correct?

Do all of these BBKs perform similarly?
i don't think the same could be said about wilwood. wilwood doesn't market themselve very strongly. fron what i hear, they are a great product at a great price. but i do see your point on the brembo name. they do come stock on many cars such as the track models, g35, stis, evos, and much more. they have built a great name and when you tell most people "I have brembos" their face lights up.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Default brake systems

if brembo is good for a ferrari is good engouh for your car, not saying that brembo is the best out there, all those brake systems are great. Brembo doesnt have to advertise because its all ready a world known, proven product. I guess it would be up to the owner of the car and which systems he/she used before. I have cust that change out there stock brembos for stop techs. I have cust say the there Project Mu system is the best so I dont know
Old 02-02-2006, 09:58 AM
tekk

Originally Posted by VividRacing
if brembo is good for a ferrari is good engouh for your car, not saying that brembo is the best out there, all those brake systems are great. Brembo doesnt have to advertise because its all ready a world known, proven product. I guess it would be up to the owner of the car and which systems he/she used before. I have cust that change out there stock brembos for stop techs. I have cust say the there Project Mu system is the best so I dont know
ferraris in 04 used timing belts and thats not good enough for my car... but i get your point
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by tekk
ferraris in 04 used timing belts and thats not good enough for my car... but i get your point
You didn’t base that saying solely on the salesman pitch did you? tsk tsk tsk ;-)

Belts are lighter than chains and are reliable enough… The “not good enough for you” engine of a 360 SC engine outputs 118hp per liters… Compare that to the 85hp per liter of the VQ35…

I’ll take the belts anytime!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:21 AM
anotheraznguy

brakes..
stoptech is not the end all be all
there are other companies like
endless/rotora/stoptech/alcon/ap
Every manufacturer has their pro's and con's

but because stoptech is in the usa.
they primarily do most of their marketing in the us
where as greddy/alcon and endless mainly have more advertising in japan.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
brakes..
stoptech is not the end all be all
there are other companies like
endless/rotora/stoptech/alcon/ap
Every manufacturer has their pro's and con's

but because stoptech is in the usa.
they primarily do most of their marketing in the us
where as greddy/alcon and endless mainly have more advertising in japan.
hell ya I am with this guy alcon, endless, AP, project mu all great japanese product stop tech and bear great american products
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Zexy

Because some of us love the JDM bling factor along with the performance.

Plus it's GT Japanese cars that use Endless, Alcon, Project Mu and so fourth.

When it all comes down some of us are more than willing to rock the Rolex but not the Movado sort of thing....

Last edited by Zexy; 02-02-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I tend to think all the BBK's are the same really in the end so long as they're the same size disc and same size caliper and # pistons with SS lines

what will make a big difference is what type of brake pad you use for the way you're driving the car.

So for anyone to get in a stoptech car and say it stops WAY better than brembo or rotora or whatever, it's just not true unless they're all running the same or similar pads and exact same tires. I'm sure there's minute differences though such as F/R bias etc, but in the end it's only going to matter on the track. And chances are, if you can start fading some stoptech brakes, you can fade all the other brands and visa-versa

The track model brembos are kinda the poor man brembos though btw. They have the brembo name and are better than stock, but unless you upgrade the rotors, lines, and pads, you can fade them if you push the car really hard. Any of the aftermarket BBK's (including the higher end brembo kits) will have less fading. The only way you'll fade the stock track model brembos is if you drive really really fast/hard on a track for a good amount of time and have a few mods to make you go faster so that the brakes are stopping you at a higher mph than stock

for the street, it makes no real difference. Just get some good pads and tires and even the stock brakes will feel almost as good as the aftermarket BBK's. BBK's only shorten your 60-0 by 2-3 feet. Tires will make the biggest difference in stopping distances

Last edited by sentry65; 02-02-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
anotheraznguy

Also lets not forget this..
some pads for calipers use independent pads for each piston. Where as some are 1 pad per side. Others use non stepped pison sizing and some use a trailing design. Also not all calipers are the same
there are Cast aluminum, forged aluminum, etc. Also rotors there is 1 piece, 2 piece floating, 2 piece non floating.
Also rotors can have different compounds in terms of lead and other vital components. I know endless rotors have higher lead content for better heat disappation as well as less likely to crack.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
sentry65
the burninator

why doesn't anyone ever talk about that stuff?

all anyone here ever does is buy BBK for the look

there should be some sort of in depth comparison chart that shows what the real differences are. Weights, benchmark tests. I've seen a lot of benchmarks, but they're really not complete
Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by sentry65
why doesn't anyone ever talk about that stuff?

all anyone here ever does is buy BBK for the look

there should be some sort of in depth comparison chart that shows what the real differences are. Weights, benchmark tests. I've seen a lot of benchmarks, but they're really not complete
Although any comparison can be tweaked to make one brand or another “win”. It would be interesting to have a general idea of the pros and cons. Even better would be the knowledge of what’s out there. It’s a good idea.

IMHO, the simple reason why people here buy BBK for the look is that those who buy a BBK for actual track use are too busy driving their cars around said track/autoX circuit to bother. Pretty much any BBK is overbuilt for street use and eventually falls short when misused on the track.

As far as in depth discussion on car dynamics, driving techniques and such, the web is pretty frustrating. It’s hard to find people knowledgeable enough to go beyond Fast’n’Furious misconceptions…

A couple guys here have that knowledge. Find them and PM them. You won’t get pollutions from wise guys…
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
anotheraznguy

Yeah believe me.. its sooo easy to taint results.. or negate certain manufacturers that excel vs the primary kit in question. Also its really hard to gather proper information. Pretty much take a look at true race cars in the USA/JAPAN/EUROPE.. Mainly look at professional level cars and not grassroots.
What primarily do you see. Endless/Brembo/Alcon/Project Mu/AP Racing/Stoptech...

We are talking about track now not drifting.

They work its proven. Where as Some companies which shall remain nameless. Have really bad pedal feel which leads to hard time to achieve at the limit braking. And it all comes down to personal Preference. Some drivers like their pedal to have very minimal travel and be super stiff the first 10%. While others like more travel and pedal feel to become more agressive.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been watching this thread and can address each topic hit on, but I would like to make a few points.

There are other companies out there that make quality products, and also participate in racing. (on a side note:Racing really does prove that the products work. When it comes to brakes, I wouldn't trust a company that doesn't road race.)

Here is my main suggestion. Do your homework. I know it's easier to just believe someone else's experiences, but learn how the brake system works and what each component does from the pedal, to the booster, to the MC, hoses, to calipers, pads and rotors. Then make your educated decision. There is a lot to learn about brakes and they are often mis-understood.

Physics can't be bent or cheated, so there is a truth out there.

There aren't many companies out there that put their employees through classes like this one http://www.sae.org/servlets/pdEvent?...EVT_NAME=C0315