Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

NEW Stance SUS Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:38 AM
drumma022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Stance SUS Coilover Review

Getting the first shipment of Stance coilovers made us all excited to see what all the 240sx guys are raving about. So excited that we had to test out a set for ourselves on my 350Z.

Stance SUS - www.stancesus.com - a new Japanese company with great customer support. All of their coilovers that we have seen so far are monotube shock with a threaded lower perch for dual height adjustment. 15-way adjustment with initial settings set to 6/6. I have been told that if there are any issues with their monotube, they will simply send out a new cartridge air from Japan. After talking with one of the co-designers of the suspension and valving, I feel confident that this is not a cheap knock-off. They are rumored to release a 15x15 way external reservoir setup later this year.

The Z coilovers come in a 14k/11k spring rates. Stance offers a true coilover design for the rear like the BuddyClub and other higher end coilovers. They also offer a more comfortable setup where it is a 11k front and a progressive 5k for the rear with an OEM spring perch design for the rear. We opted to test out the single type rear. Especially since the MSRP is $1295 and we're running a special on our website www.enjukuracing.com.

The test car had JIC FLT-A2 so we can compare the install and ride quality. I have been driving on the JIC for about 6 months now and have been pleased with the fact that the daily driving comfort level was very similar to what stock was like, just the fact that the car was much more responsive in the turns. With the car running 235/35 and 265/30 General UHP, the car tends to understeer slightly and was hard to break loose the rear predictably.

Under initial comparison, the quality of the coilover is on par with the JIC. I will let the pictures do the explaining:

The install was straight forward. One note to those who are doing their own install: Disconnect the sway bars for easier install AND make sure both wheels are off of the ground when unbolting the sway bar! Like other coilovers, the ABS line and brake line need to be securly fastened and is easily accomplished with a creative fastener. Somebody mentioned about zipties in another thread, but we found a useful clamp at Fastenal (store near our shop.) After talking to Stance, I set the upper spring perch to an equal amount of preload all around (about 2-3 turns after snug). Then measuring from the Pillowball mount to the lower bolt hole, the fronts seem to be about 24.5" and the rears are 18.25". This is a good starting point for an aggressive, but not slammed ride height. We will be getting corner scales to see how much more adjustment the car needs. Rear ride quality adjustment issue will be addressed later, but this is not too big of a concern since it is an easy fix.

First imprssions: The car is not set as low as I had with the JIC's. This is due to the possibility of the springs settling after time. At the dampening set to 6/6, the car is much more fun to drive. Even on my 19's that were prone to understeering. The car rides MUCH more flat and stable. Turn-in is more responsive and the car has considerably less roll to it. The first long sweeping turn out of shop, the rear-end came around sooner than I had expected (when enticed) but is VERY predictable now --- and made for a fun ride!

I had expected to have a very rough ride when going from a 10k/10k to a 14k/11k (linear) but with the initial settings it is surprisingly comfortable. Larger bumps react similar to before, but with a little more definition to it. Small bumps are more precise but the car is NOT teeth rattling jittery nor bone jarring at all! The rebound is very quick reacting but rides very solid. Highway and crappy city street are tolerable, but wrong turn + cobblestone = worst experience in my life. Even in my wife's stock xB, she refuses to drive down that road.

After a weekend of driving and the regular morning drive to work, I like these coilovers much more than the previous. There is no more mysterious suspension rattle. Confidence in driving is much better now that it is more predictable to drive. Ride quality is still awesome. The price is VERY affordable.

Hopefully this didn’t come across as the blatant advertisement that it looks like. I will take my coworkers, boss, and wife for a ride later this week and post their comments or complaints.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 AM
maximumsportZ

Awesome review ray! I might have to get some from you later on now after hearing your impressions.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the price on them?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
drumma022

Especially since the MSRP is $1295 and we're running a special on our website www.enjukuracing.com.
Its posted up there.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

found it. $1,195.00
Old 02-13-2006, 11:48 AM
maximumsportZ

I personally recommend drumma022, I know him personally and have done business with him, great customer service!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How come the spring rates are listed as 10/8 on the website?

http://www.enjukuracing.com/
Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM
drumma022

After driving on these for about a month now, I couldn't be happier! The rear coilover doesn't go as low as some of the other brands, but I have worked with Stance and are sending me a new rear shock body to test out. Should be ready in about 1-2 weeks! I can't wait.

I recently turned up the front dampening to 10 out of 15, and now it turns in incredibly nice. It feels as if the whole front end is much lighter and responds much quicker! High Speed rebound is not harsh at all where it seems it places more emphasis on Low Speed rebound. The wife loves the way the car handles as well as my co-workers. I hope to get a new set of track tires so I can really test them out at the next event very soon.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
JDMFairlady21

nice review! got me interested now...
Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Vamos_Rafael

so you chose these over the JICs?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
konspec

very interested to know this answer being that I have JICs and have been looking for something new
Old 03-09-2006, 04:26 PM
636Racer

JIC FLA2 arent exactly the best coilovers on the market either. A good friend of mines had them on his FD3S for about a year and a half before they started to crap out, the valving became lofty and because of the spring rates, the car became really bouncy. A better comparison would be against the Tein Flex (Although I dont think the Flex is any better or worse than the FLA2), KW, SilkRoad or S·w·i·f·t
Old 03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Vamos_Rafael

not saying JIC FLTA2 is best but they are definately tier one in terms of performance
and tier 1 i consider HKS Hypermax II, ZEAL, JIC etc ($2000+ range)
Old 03-12-2006, 08:46 PM
konspec

any updates?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:52 AM
drumma022

I actually choose the Stance SUS over the JIC FLT-A2 for this application as well as the 240sx application.

Update: I have recently had to make a few trips to Miami for family reasons and had to miss the last track event. However, I must admit that the highway trips were fairly comfortable. Even with the dampening set to 10 of 15.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 AM
SCRoadster

Originally Posted by drumma022
I actually choose the Stance SUS over the JIC FLT-A2 for this application as well as the 240sx application.

Update: I have recently had to make a few trips to Miami for family reasons and had to miss the last track event. However, I must admit that the highway trips were fairly comfortable. Even with the dampening set to 10 of 15.

How is the noise level from the upper mounts ?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:00 PM
drumma022

Update: Stance just sent me a new prototype set of coilovers that allow me to go lower in the rear. With the new set, lowered to 24 1/4" F and 24 5/8" R, the car is incredibly low! I will see if I can get a few pictures of the new coils.

I had a few rattles from the rear, however I had found that the rear locking collar was not tight andwas rattling around a bit. The one-piece upper mounts were designed for less noise!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

compare this to Megan, which one is better?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

How long will you be running the special? Is the shock body made of steel or aluminum?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:03 AM
drumma022

Megans are very unstable compared to the stance. It seems like the Megans are under-dampened compared to the Stance. These have a monotube design where as the Megans are a twintube design. Here is an interesting article on monotube vs. twintube. They are a beefy coilover and the construction is very well made and the lower mount should be steel.

The sale should be running for a couple more weeks.

Quick Reply: NEW Stance SUS Coilover Review