Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best brake pads for low noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 AM
BluZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brake pads for low noise?

I know that higher performance brakes will tend to be more noisy. I just cant take the constant squealing anymore. Ive searched but didnt really find what the best pads would be for low noise. I dont do any autoX or anything like that. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 AM
SungNamZ

I am currently using Axxis "Ultimate" Pads. Extremely happy! No noise and less brake dust than Hawks.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Auto RnD

try some endless vita nuova brake pads. Low dust and low noise. Great pad.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
I am currently using Axxis "Ultimate" Pads. Extremely happy! No noise and less brake dust than Hawks.
Sung - You must have a set of those "magical" no-dust Ultimates - ha! Just kidding...... I run the Ultimates on my StopTech BBK when I get radical & they dust like CrAzY!! Expected for a more "grippy" pad, though - good stopping power! For the street I run the Axxis "Deluxe Plus" (merely a "street" performance pad) and they're really low-dust!! (This is all on the fronts - I run the Hawk HPS on the rear StopTech's - hardly any dust). All Axxis "Ultimates" I've seen on other Z's with StopTech's blow big dust as well. I guess the idea of "low-dust" is pretty subjective to the individual speaking, huh?

On stock brakes, I ran Hawk HPS - performed about like stock pads, but WAY less dust.

Ride on...........
Old 02-21-2006, 06:25 AM
BluZee

Originally Posted by Z CRUZN
For the street I run the Axxis "Deluxe Plus" (merely a "street" performance pad) and they're really low-dust!!
Are the Axxis Deluxe quiet?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:19 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The OEM pads are quite aren't they?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by BluZee
Are the Axxis Deluxe quiet?
BluZee - Actually, every set of Axxis Ultimates, Axxis Deluxe Plus & Hawk HPS I've used has been quiet - not a squeek one. On these types of "street" pads, noise usually depends on the install & bedding. I use Lithium grease (outta the tub - not the spray-type) and lightly coat the backing plate & edges of the backing plate of the pads, smooth the rotors with a light-grit pad on an air gun (or turn if needed), then bed them to manufacturer's recommendation (ex: usually 2-3 medium stops from 50 mph to 0, followed by 2-3 harder stops from 30 mph - 0) - this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer & type of pad. For the street I love the Axxis Deluxe Plus for my StopTechs.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Vamos_Rafael

try nismo pads... quiet if you dont use slotted or drilled rotors...
and for normal street/spirited driving use you'll never fade them...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 AM
BluZee

Originally Posted by Z CRUZN
BluZee - Actually, every set of Axxis Ultimates, Axxis Deluxe Plus & Hawk HPS I've used has been quiet - not a squeek one. On these types of "street" pads, noise usually depends on the install & bedding. I use Lithium grease (outta the tub - not the spray-type) and lightly coat the backing plate & edges of the backing plate of the pads, smooth the rotors with a light-grit pad on an air gun (or turn if needed), then bed them to manufacturer's recommendation.
Since I work at my service department I would turn the rotors with an on-car brake lathe and use the grease out of the tub like you said. It sounds like the Axxix Deluxe Plus might be the way to go for me. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by BluZee
Since I work at my service department I would turn the rotors with an on-car brake lathe and use the grease out of the tub like you said. It sounds like the Axxix Deluxe Plus might be the way to go for me. Thanks.
Let us know how they work out - I love 'em for street pads!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
The OEM pads are quite aren't they?
Shhh… It’s OEM stuff so it can’t be good for anything… After market pars are always better…
Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
venommaxr33

I just put the Axxis Ultimates on my G. my brakes are squeeling under low pressure braking. the noise was there before i changed the pads so i knw its not the pads. the noise is not there if i apply more pressure during braking. the pads themselves are great so far. not trying to thread jack just hoped i could get some help with an annoying problem
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by venommaxr33
I just put the Axxis Ultimates on my G. my brakes are squeeling under low pressure braking. the noise was there before i changed the pads so i knw its not the pads. the noise is not there if i apply more pressure during braking. the pads themselves are great so far. not trying to thread jack just hoped i could get some help with an annoying problem
Worn/overheated pads will squeel (like your old pads)

Aggressive pads will squeel under partial load (like your new pads)

It's an expected behavior :/

My race pads will make more noise than a city bus when they are cold...
Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Z CRUZN

The Axxis Ultimates I've installed (several sets - multiple Z's) did not & have not developed any squeel. Some things to check/do:
1) Always when changing pads, at the least, sand the rotors smooth...or even surface rotors if needed. Uneven or non-smooth rotors can cause the pads to vibrate excessively when the brakes are applied, especially with light pressure. Will also cause the pads to wear uneven & more quickly.
2) This vibration mentioned above will cause the pads to vibrate against the caliper piston (pad backing plate againt piston) - causing noise. As mentioned before, I've always used white Lithium grease to coat the backing plates (to smooth the vibration between the backing plate and the piston) and the edges of the backing plate (any edge that comes in contact with any metal in the caliper).
3) Also, after you have installed the pads on a smooth rotor, bed them in accordingly. If I remember correctly, on the Ultimates I made about 3 medium slowdowns from 50 - 2 mph followed by 3-4 hard slowdowns from 35 - 2 mph...one immediately following the other. Be sure to allow about 10-15 minutes of "Cool-down" after bedding - no excessive use of brakes and NO FULL STOPS with the brake pedal held down - will imprint the pad on the rotor and make it feel as if it's warped.

This, by all means, is not the ONLY way to do brakes - just the way I've done it for a while. Hope it helps.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
venommaxr33

i hav already installed the pads but the have been on for less than a thousand miles. i'll remove the rotors and have them resurfaced and while they are off apply the lithium grease to the pads and reinstall. ill let you know what the outcome is. thanks for the insite!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
venommaxr33

i was also told that the axxis ultimates didn't need the metal backing plate. i dont believe this is the cause just because it was doing this before i changed the pads but im just curious.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Z CRUZN

i was also told that the axxis ultimates didn't need the metal backing plate. i dont believe this is the cause just because it was doing this before i changed the pads but im just curious.
Whenever I've used the term "backing plate" I'm referring to the backside of the pad, not an additional shim plate like on our OEM pads. The backing plate of the pad is the metal side of the pad. Be sure to re-bed the pads after install if you're going to turn or smooth-sand the rotors.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:13 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
Shhh… It’s OEM stuff so it can’t be good for anything… After market pars are always better…
Dang I forgot. If you repackage the OEM pads with a different brand name, then they would be better.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:27 PM
MR.OKKKK

mine squeeks alot.. my oem was much more quieter?.. i switched to Hawks HPS about a month ago, after 2 days it started squeeking... Much more louder then my stock brake pads.... its probably my back yard is pretty dusty? dirt until i go up to my parking space.... getting really annoyed and i only have 8k miles on it... T.T
Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
venommaxr33

i re-did the fronts, had the rotors resurfaced and bedded the pads and not a peep out of them and they feel better when braking. i'll do the rears after i get off work to day.

Z CRUZN i owe you one bigtime, you saved me a trip to the stealership, thanks a bunch. Z CRUZN for prez!!!

Quick Reply: Best brake pads for low noise?