Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

any company make coilover perches in the 12kg/mm rate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default any company make coilover perches in the 12kg/mm rate?

need stand alone coilovers (not attached to shock tube) in the 12kg/mm or higher rate.

anyone know what company? i know ground control / eibach can get custom spring rates done, but anyone with coilover perches?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just replace the shocks with solid metal cylinders? probably be cheaper
Old 02-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Auto RnD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you talking about wanting custom spring rate coilovers?
if you are looking for full custom then you can go with zeal function x. You can spec that out to any spring rate. and not only will they just plop new springs for you they will also revalve them =)
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

no i have dampeners... just need springs and perches ...
Old 02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You cannot run 12Kg rates on the Tokico's listed in your sig as they have a 8Kg max as per Tokico.

If you have other shocks, what are they? Be very affraid of any mainstream company that have luled you into thinking that they everyday regular shock can deliver decent behavior on 12Kg rates. Now if they are JRZ's, Penske's, or Tc Kline shocks forget I said that.

Koni has front coilover parts that mount on any front shock they make that uses a 50mm diameter shock body, which the Tc Kline shock is based on. But this leaves you to figure out how seat 2.5" springs using the oem upper mounts. Or you can do what I did and make a 6061 adaptor ring to utilize Tein Tapered springs so you can utilize the oem upper mounts. For the rear, I'd use the Tom Motorsports sleave coilovers listed on ebay, though I have no idea what spring diameter they use for the rear (or for the front's either for that matter). Really, when it's all said and done, I can't stress enough to make certain that you really need that much spring, JDM tuner's love stuff that stiff, doesn't mean it will net you the lowest net times.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Gsedan35

Ok, looking at the Tom Motorsport coilovers here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COIL-...40387888QQrdZ1
looks to me like they use a 5" rear spring diameter and a 2.5" front diameter (plus it looks like the front sleaves sized to the oem shocks bodies or to D-specs.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Will Pwr

Chesto....hit me up on aim tomorrow at work..ill check to see what the highest that we have...
Old 02-22-2006, 08:41 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Ok, looking at the Tom Motorsport coilovers here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COIL-...40387888QQrdZ1
looks to me like they use a 5" rear spring diameter and a 2.5" front diameter (plus it looks like the front sleaves sized to the oem shocks bodies or to D-specs.
In conversation with knight_white99 who has the D-Specs and the Tom Motorsport coilovers here's what he had to say. Just wanted to put that out there.

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Yes, I am using them on my Tokcio D-Specs. HOWEVER, I had to modify the D-specs somewhat to get the collars to fit. (I haven't tried them on the stock shocks.) I had to grind away the top metal part of the shock where the shaft goes into the shock body just above the seal, since the collar wouldn't fit over it. The seal is still intact, and I did the grinding in steps and let the shock body cool so that I didn't overheat anything. No leaks so far...
Old 02-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

i'll have to ask the Tokico engineers, they said the current TEIN flex spring rates i have on the car right now will hold up fine. i told him it was 12kg/mm and he said that was ok.. (?? is he trying to mislead me ? i doubt it. maybe he didnt know the kg/mm conversion to ft/lb)

i'll double check. be basically wanted me to see what its gonna take to trash the shocks on the track and drifting since i told him my Flex's arent dampening enough @ buttonwillow..
Old 02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
dklau33

Chebosto: What springs are you running with your Tokico Dspecs right now? Did you get some kind of custom 12kg springs made?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused as to what you need. Coilover perches really don't have anything to do with the spring rate. Your Tein adjustable perches will work just fine - just make sure that you find a set of 12kg/mm springs from Hypercoil or Eibach in the 2.5" wind diameter. I also assume you've had a set of custom Tokicos done?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Swift springs makes a WIDE variaty of springs in both diameter and rates. I think the shop is called Drfit Tech in Vista, CA. He helped a member here named protocav replace the springs on his HKS LS+ coilovers with some Swift ones that were the same exact diameter but a different rate. I think so that he could run 8kg/8kg or maybe it was 7kg/7kg. Either way he swapped his front HKS coils with Swift ones of the same size but the rate he wanted. PM him for more info.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
John

Most other "springs" on the market are simply rebadged H&Rs, Eibachs, or Hypercoils...
Old 02-23-2006, 04:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by John
Most other "springs" on the market are simply rebadged H&Rs, Eibachs, or Hypercoils...
I'm pretty sure that Swift springs are NOT just rebadges of something else. http://www.swiftsprings.com/
Old 02-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

ok. perhaps i need to clarify.

front shocks. i have no springs.. for the rear, i am just reusing the springs that came with the TEIN FLEX.

so. i would like an adjustable coilover-type sleeve with a linear 12kg/mm or 6xx ft/lb spring rate for my front dampeners. so i can adjust the height but yet keep the Tokico Dspecs.

im waiting for tokico to send me the shocks so i can find the right size.. think ground control type coil with adjustable perch setup...

if i cant find a threaded sleeve sping type setup. then i'll go with a stand alone spring.. my main goal is just to see the dampening maximums..... i believe tok might have a threaded coilover setup coming up and but they havent told me anything yet--
Old 02-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Would have to get ahold of some TEIN rear perches etc...

and then order these...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...z+rear&x=0&y=0
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Gsedan35

Their is simply no way that a double adjustable shock can have the adjustment range to cover a rate range of 5.6Kg to 12Kg. Even covering up to 8Kg is a stretch. You are wasting your time if you try it beyond that point. Even Koni's with rebound only control, minimum preload level's, Koni bump stops, and near peak rebound settings have rebound control issues at mid level piston speeds and I'm only running 8Kg rates in the front.

Here is why I said D-specs have a 450lbs rate cap.

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Well, I guess the decision was made for me. I called Tokico directly (Thanks, John and Daveh - your responses made me check to be sure). They said that the D-Specs are only good for 400-450 lb. springs, max.

I guess I will get the RS*Rs for now while I search for a decent but not too pricey coilover setup (is there such a thing?).

The setup that I had was okay with street tires, but with R-compound tires, the weaknesses are showing.

I looked at the Nismo T2 sway bars... but $875???? (That's a set of new tires!) If I ran the car competitively all the time on the open track, no problem, get the best. But this is just for fun, and I am trying to keep the cost reasonable. Even that is hard enough!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Chebosto
ok. perhaps i need to clarify.

front shocks. i have no springs.. for the rear, i am just reusing the springs that came with the TEIN FLEX.

so. i would like an adjustable coilover-type sleeve with a linear 12kg/mm or 6xx ft/lb spring rate for my front dampeners. so i can adjust the height but yet keep the Tokico Dspecs.

im waiting for tokico to send me the shocks so i can find the right size.. think ground control type coil with adjustable perch setup...

if i cant find a threaded sleeve sping type setup. then i'll go with a stand alone spring.. my main goal is just to see the dampening maximums..... i believe tok might have a threaded coilover setup coming up and but they havent told me anything yet--
For a stand alone spring your best bet would be Tokico D-spec springs, they will give you the highest linear rate (6.7Kg/6.7Kg) you can get without going too far, as in Nismo T2 springs (11.2Kg/12.5Kg). BTW, Tc Kline shocks will work with up to 14.2Kg spring rates. They are not cheap, but doing what you want to do correctly, isn't going to be cheap.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 AM
ALong

Chebosto, reading your post I am confused, are you looking for just adjustable collars for the rear springs or adjustable spring perches for the front shocks?

If you are looking for rear spring collars/perches (also referred to as weight jackers in Nascar circles) then most manufactures of 2.5" race springs offer them, I know H&R has them (I saw them on the shelf in their warehouse when I visited there a couple of years ago). Eibach should have them as well.

If you are looking for spring perches for your front shocks, the first question is are your shocks threaded for an adjustable spring perch? If no, then you will have to go with a threaded sleeve that fits over your shock, the only place that I can think of that offers these are Ground Control.

I would take any advice that G35Sedan is giving you as he is a suspension wiz, he really knows his math/engineering when it comes to shock valving and spring rates.