Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

StopTech's 6piston Beauuuuttyyyy... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few months ago on the Speed channel, they had the Vette running with other exotic cars, ie AstonMartin in the 24hrs of LeMans. All the brakes were glowing orange/red! They showed a bit of the night racing and the glowing rotors looked awesome as the cars passed! Made me want to go out and get a set... but then I realized the cost of these brakes, LOL! So I opted for a 6/4 pot 14" Rotora set instead.

Zquicksilver
Old 02-28-2006, 11:30 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw them at the meet and they were sweet! Congrats StopTech!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

what is the price for the 6/4 combo? with 380mm rotor?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:18 AM
DZeckhausen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
what is the price for the 6/4 combo? with 380mm rotor?
The 6/4 combo uses 355mm rotors front and back. There is no 380mm kit for the 350Z.

See: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Nissan/350Z.htm for the detailed kit descriptions, photos and pricing. StopTech (as of today) doesn't yet have the pricing for the 6-piston kits on their website.

The 350Z has three different front kits that can be combined with either the 2-piston or the 4-piston rear kits. (Exception: the 13" front kit can not be combined with the 14" rear kit.) There's a $100 savings by ordering a front and a rear kit at the same time. But since there are five possible 4-wheel combinations, I only list the front and rear kits separately to avoid confusion.

332 x 32mm 4-piston front ($1995)
355 x 32mm 4-piston front ($2595)
355 x 32mm 6-piston front ($3195)

328 x 28mm 2-piston rear ($2295)
355 x 32mm 4-piston rear ($2495)

Last edited by DZeckhausen; 03-04-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

we have the 6-Piston kits up on our site as well now:
http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...=stop+6-piston

You can always contact us for more info on the kits as well as any quesitons regarding pricing.

We will be installing this kit on my car as soon as it is done with being in the body shop, so I'll let you all know first hand how everything is!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 AM
mchapman

Originally Posted by J Ritt
DZeckhausen hit the nail on the head on the technical side of things, so I don't really have too much to add to what he said...pad wear and wheel fitment are the two big benefits of our new kit.

Our competitors always claim, "more stopping power," with regards to 6, 8, or more pistons in a caliper. "Stopping power" is a meaningless phrase. On this application, our ST-60 caliper will be putting out the same amount of torque as our ST-40. The torque will be distributed over a greater surface area however...that's it. Essentially, instead of four larger pistons, you'll have six smaller pistons that have an equal total piston area.

The main reason we released this system is because everyone asked for it! Over the last year I've received numerous PM's about it, and many customers have asked, "when are you going to come out with a six piston for the 350Z." Many of the car show attendees have begged for it, and we have lost sales to competitors for the simple fact that they have more pistons in their calipers (which is ridiculous). Additionally, we have a number of 350Z customers that have been running our 355mm four piston kits for roughly 3 years at this point. Many of these individuals track their cars and may be considering a caliper rebuild, etc. We will be selling the ST-60 caliper and bracket upgrade separately for these customers. They can get a fresh set of calipers, a new look, and a performance upgrade in one shot.
You asked for it, we built it. Now there is a superior six piston caliper kit on the market, with all of the other good things that StopTech brings to the table...proper brake balance, reasonable replacement part costs, technical support, racing heritage, etc.
I'm not sure if any of you know this, but just like our four piston has won races and championships in World Challenge and Grand Am Cup, the ST-60 caliper is identical to those found on the LG Motorsports Corvettes in Speed World Challenge GT. They won two races last year, got a couple of poles, etc. Lou's been running this caliper on his car for 1 1/2 years now, and he will be running three cars with this system this season. I'm editing photo size...will post shortly:
Hey Jeff,

**** they look awesome.

PM Sent.

Can we get some more photos posted please.

So the actual braking force is not increased, but the pad should last longer during track use?

Is the logo in the 6 piston a bit too big for the space? Doesnt seem to have the same spacing around it as the others?

Last edited by mchapman; 03-04-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Gary King

Great to see these released! Question, what is the weight difference?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by Gary King
Great to see these released! Question, what is the weight difference?
The difference is less than one pound. The ST-40 weighs 8 pounds (without pads) and the ST-60 weighs slightly less than 9 pounds. If you include the larger pads used by the ST-60, the weight difference is probably just over one pound.

Here are the pad diagrams (not to scale):

Old 03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by mchapman
I don't have any shots on a 350Z yet, but here's a couple on our project car that was on display in Chrysler's booth at last year's SEMA show:

And here's a shot behind the stock wheels on my (non-supercharged) SRT8:

That should give you a sense of scale of the logo.

So the actual braking force is not increased, but the pad should last longer during track use?
That's correct. If the braking force was increased, then the brakes would be out of balance with too much front bias. If you want to understand more about StopTech's philosophy and testing for balance, check out my 350Z track testing article: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

Is the logo in the 6 piston a bit too big for the space? Doesnt seem to have the same spacing around it as the others?
I think it looks great on the SRT8. On the car, it doesn't seem out of proportion. But I'll give your feedback to StopTech and see what they think. Logo size is not carved in stone (or aluminum!)
Old 03-04-2006, 12:43 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by mchapman
Here's a shot of an entire ST-60 front big brake kit:

Old 03-04-2006, 12:54 PM
g35twinturbo

Would the caliper actually be in that position, mounted on a g35 or 350z?
I am wondering if the bracket would allow for the position?

Old 03-04-2006, 01:09 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by g35twinturbo
Would the caliper actually be in that position, mounted on a g35 or 350z?
I am wondering if the bracket would allow for the position?

No - that was just a demo stand to display the ST-60 caliper and rotor together. It shows a left front trailing caliper (behind the axle) in the 3:00 position. On a 350Z, the caliper would actually be in a leading position (in front of the axle) at about the 10:00 position. The orientation about the hub will be exactly the same as the ST-40 caliper kits.

Here's a shot of a left front ST-40 on a 350Z. The ST-60 will be in the same orientation, only much bigger.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:19 PM
nizmoz

Dave, you sound like you know what you are talking about. What setup would you recommend for an upgrade to a base Z assuming I don't track the car? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:33 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by nizmoz
Dave, you sound like you know what you are talking about. What setup would you recommend for an upgrade to a base Z assuming I don't track the car? Thanks.
What are your goals and constraints? Are you looking for aesthetics and will only consider a 4-wheel kit? Or are you just looking for the biggest bang for the buck improvement in pedal feel at the lowest possible cost? If it's the latter, then I would suggest the 13" front only kit. That gets you 90 percent of the improvement in brake feel and pedal firmness at a lower cost. But I would avoid red calipers, since it will drive you crazy seeing the car with flashy front calipers and nothing in the back. Black or silver is a better choice here. Of course, you can always add the 2-piston rear kit later as budget allows. (The 13" front kit rules out upgrading the 14" rear kit.)

If budget is not as big of an issue and you have plenty of wheel clearance, then my favorite choice is the ST-40 14" front and ST-45 14" rear. The ST-40 and ST-45 calipers look the same from the outside and this combination has the best, most balanced appearance. You are limited in pad selection for the ST-45 caliper to just a few compounds, all of them street-only. But since you said you were not tracking the car, that works out fine for you.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:45 AM
John

Any possibility of a different bracket that would move the caliper to a position low and backside of the axis like the WC cars?

I'm trying to visualize what the backside of the knuckle looks like, but I just can't do it from memory right now...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Gary King

Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
The difference is less than one pound. The ST-40 weighs 8 pounds (without pads) and the ST-60 weighs slightly less than 9 pounds. If you include the larger pads used by the ST-60, the weight difference is probably just over one pound.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:48 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by John
Any possibility of a different bracket that would move the caliper to a position low and backside of the axis like the WC cars?
Not a chance. The orientation of the caliper is usually dictated by the position of suspension components. Once the knuckle has been designed by Nissan with the caliper mounting ears positioned where they are, the BBK manufacturers can only reorient the caliper by a few degrees. It's physicaly impossible to make a bracket that will move the caliper 160 degrees to a trailing position.

By the way, Nissan and Porsche share a leading caliper design, with the Nissan calipers clocked about 15 degrees closer to the top of the rotor than Porsche:

There is no performance advantage of a leading caliper design over a trailing caliper design. However, there is an advantage in having the caliper as close to the 3:00 or the 9:00 position as possible in order to minimize pad knockback due to wheel bearing deflection under race conditions. See: http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml for more details on knockback. The 350Z (and G35) is more prone to knockback than some platforms because the caliper is significantly above the 3:00 position. This is not something that will affect the average driver, even the novice or intermediate who goes to the track. But the advanced or pro level driver with race tires may run into this issue. Also, the position of the caliper on the 350Z makes initial bleeding a bit harder, since air can remain trapped behind the caliper piston. For this reason, the installer must tip the caliper forward to bleed a newly installed Brembo or StopTech caliper for the first time. Not a problem with most other platforms, where the caliper is closer to the 3:00 (or 9:00) position.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 PM
pdjafari

maaaaaan, i wish i had some $$$ for a BBK setup!!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

That's a great answer Dave, to Johns question! BUT.....then why did Stoptech re-clock their 14" rear caliper AWAY from 3:00?

Looking at caliper positions over the years, there seems to be many differing opinions on what is best. I need to find a pic of Gordon's F1......OK, just did that....he mounted the front caliper BEHIND the axel in front, and in front of the rear axel. I would think mounting in the rear in front would help weight distribution, but I'm sure there are many other factors involved.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:58 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
That's a great answer Dave, to Johns question! BUT.....then why did Stoptech re-clock their 14" rear caliper AWAY from 3:00?
They clocked it about 10 degrees up because there's a suspension piece that would have interfered with the big StopTech caliper, had it been bolted directly above the stock mounting ears. That's the most significant reclocking of a caliper I've ever run across.

Looking at caliper positions over the years, there seems to be many differing opinions on what is best. I need to find a pic of Gordon's F1......OK, just did that....he mounted the front caliper BEHIND the axel in front, and in front of the rear axel. I would think mounting in the rear in front would help weight distribution, but I'm sure there are many other factors involved.
Typically, the caliper location is dictated by where all the other stuff is in the way. While it might make a difference on weight distribution on an F1 car and is probably an integral part of the design process, on "normal" cars it's more of an afterthought and they squeeze it in whereever they can.

Quick Reply: StopTech's 6piston Beauuuuttyyyy... ;)