Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

StopTech's 6piston Beauuuuttyyyy... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default StopTech's 6piston Beauuuuttyyyy... ;)

unveiled @ the Performance nissan meet.. the ST-60 application for 350z!!!

picture from John (speedraver @ G35driver forums)

OMG!!

BLING BLING!!

FYI: Jeff's crotch, not included.

Last edited by Chebosto; 02-26-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:57 AM
michaeljr6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yummy
Old 02-26-2006, 08:58 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

How much?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Taken from their price list they gave out @ the meet,
just front 14" rotor with 6 pot is $3200
the Four wheel, 14" rotor kit including 6 pot front, 4 pot rear, MSRP is $5300
while the 14" rotor front w/ 6 pot, w/ 13" 2 pot rear, MSRP is alsot $5300

i believe StopTech will offer upgrade packages for existing 14" ST40 owners.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:59 PM
jiaimZ

Amazing ! like GT3 brakes

so ..... I won them ???
Old 02-26-2006, 03:28 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by Chebosto
i believe StopTech will offer upgrade packages for existing 14" ST40 owners.
That's correct. All that's needed is a pair of new brackets and the new calipers. Also will need four new crush washers. Pricing of the upgrade hasn't been finalized yet.

The new 6-piston caliper actually has BETTER wheel clearance by a couple millimeters at both the inner barrel of the wheel and to the back of the spokes. So, if the ST40 4-piston kit works on your car, the bigger ST60 6-piston caliper will work too.

For those who track frequently, the bigger pad will last significantly longer and race friction is readily available. (The following pad drawings are not to scale. Note the dimensions in order to compare the actual sizes.)

The price for Performance Friction 01 race pads for the ST60 is scary, at $500 a set. But the Raybestos ST43 will be available soon at about half that price and it is arguably just as good.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:50 PM
adrianko43

It's pretty ironic because stoptech used to say something like, 6 pistons were overkill, and that their 4 piston kits were good enough; or something along those lines.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrianko43
It's pretty ironic because stoptech used to say something like, 6 pistons were overkill, and that their 4 piston kits were good enough; or something along those lines.
i guess nothing is overkill. I'll have 8pistons kit soon and i don't even track at all. The bigger the better it looks? hehehe
Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by adrianko43
That's because some vendors were taking a standard sized caliper and adding 6, 8, or 12 pistons without a technical reason to do so. They were touting it as somehow better than a 4-piston using a pad of the same shape and size, arguing that more pistons somehow equated to better braking. Even worse, most of those calipers had much more total piston area, resulting in an overamplified system that gave you longer pedal travel than stock and heavy front bias. The marketing claim was always something like "more pistons for more stopping power!" This simply preyed on the customer's lack of engineering knowledge about brake torque.

This 6-piston StopTech caliper uses as many pistons as it does to apply even pressure to a huge pad. And the pistons are sized appropriately to each application, just like the ST40. So if you were to transition from a 4-piston to a 6-piston StopTech on the front of your 350Z application, the total piston area would be identical, meaning six smaller pistons would be used and pedal feel, pedal travel, and brake balance would not be compromised. You will never hear StopTech advertise "more stopping power" to sell this caliper.

Why would you go from a StopTech ST40 kit to an ST60 kit? For the track user, it translates into even longer pad life. If you're running endurance events, this may result in fewer (or no) visits to the pit. For the street user, I see no performance advantage. This would either be an upgrade for aesthetic reasons or to allow you to run a wheel that didn't fit over the ST40, but was very very close. (Remember, the ST60 has a couple millimeters better clearance, despite its larger size.)
Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 AM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
yummy

the crotch or the brake?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:23 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by Chebosto
unveiled @ the Performance nissan meet.. the ST-60 application for 350z!!!

picture from John (speedraver @ G35driver forums)

I didn't realize you were holding this event on Lombard Street in San Francisco. Thank God for Velcro or all these parts would have ended up in the bay!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
J Ritt

DZeckhausen hit the nail on the head on the technical side of things, so I don't really have too much to add to what he said...pad wear and wheel fitment are the two big benefits of our new kit.

Our competitors always claim, "more stopping power," with regards to 6, 8, or more pistons in a caliper. "Stopping power" is a meaningless phrase. On this application, our ST-60 caliper will be putting out the same amount of torque as our ST-40. The torque will be distributed over a greater surface area however...that's it. Essentially, instead of four larger pistons, you'll have six smaller pistons that have an equal total piston area.

The main reason we released this system is because everyone asked for it! Over the last year I've received numerous PM's about it, and many customers have asked, "when are you going to come out with a six piston for the 350Z." Many of the car show attendees have begged for it, and we have lost sales to competitors for the simple fact that they have more pistons in their calipers (which is ridiculous). Additionally, we have a number of 350Z customers that have been running our 355mm four piston kits for roughly 3 years at this point. Many of these individuals track their cars and may be considering a caliper rebuild, etc. We will be selling the ST-60 caliper and bracket upgrade separately for these customers. They can get a fresh set of calipers, a new look, and a performance upgrade in one shot.
You asked for it, we built it. Now there is a superior six piston caliper kit on the market, with all of the other good things that StopTech brings to the table...proper brake balance, reasonable replacement part costs, technical support, racing heritage, etc.
I'm not sure if any of you know this, but just like our four piston has won races and championships in World Challenge and Grand Am Cup, the ST-60 caliper is identical to those found on the LG Motorsports Corvettes in Speed World Challenge GT. They won two races last year, got a couple of poles, etc. Lou's been running this caliper on his car for 1 1/2 years now, and he will be running three cars with this system this season. I'm editing photo size...will post shortly:

Last edited by J Ritt; 02-27-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
VIP-STATUS
Banned

Man you can stop a bus with that.NICE!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:35 AM
J Ritt

Man you can stop a bus with that.NICE!
You probably could, but we would have to use a bigger pistons in those calipers.

Also, that's not my crotch in the photo!

Last edited by J Ritt; 02-27-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by J Ritt
I'm not sure if any of you know this, but just like our four piston has won races and championships in World Challenge and Grand Am Cup, the ST-60 caliper is identical to those found on the LG Motorsports Corvettes in Speed World Challenge GT. They won two races last year, got a couple of poles, etc. Lou's been running this caliper on his car for 1 1/2 years now, and he will be running three cars with this system this season. I'm editing photo size...will post shortly:
Here's a shot from the pits at Laguna Seca last year during the SPEED World Challenge races:

I have another shot of Lou at speed somewhere. I'll look for it and post if I can find it.

{Edited: The original shot I posted was from Lime Rock in 2004. Changed to a more recent shot at Laguna Seca.}

Last edited by DZeckhausen; 03-12-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:45 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
I have another shot of Lou at speed somewhere. I'll look for it and post if I can find it.
I found it! Here's a photo of him at the SPEED World Challenge GT race at Sebring:

Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

wow..is that lighting effect or the rotor get hot and turn red like that?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by Bubble
wow..is that lighting effect or the rotor get hot and turn red like that?
If you go out and follow the bedding instructions on my site: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm, your brake rotors will glow red too. That's normal. Those rotors get really hot when you're slowing the car down from 165 mph or when you do eight threshold braking events from 60 mph.

No funny lighting, filters, or Adobe PhotoShop effects here. That's what racing brakes look like from the spectators' vantage point when sitting at the end of a braking zone.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

It's very common in racing for rotors to get red hot like that. Often times times its hard to see this happen becuase of the bright daylight, but if you watch races run at night its much more visible.

Last edited by StopTech; 02-27-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Alang35

yup, thoes rotors REALLY glow from what i saw at the jgtc event. looks awsome!

Quick Reply: StopTech's 6piston Beauuuuttyyyy... ;)