Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

StopTech's 6piston Beauuuuttyyyy... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:28 AM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure buddy, i believe you
VN_350z,
I'm not sure if you wrote that comment because Dan only has 6 posts on this board and you thought he was kidding/spamming...he's not. Dan did what he said in his post, and joined StopTech as our Marketing Mgr. this past Winter.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 AM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by J Ritt
VN_350z,
I'm not sure if you wrote that comment because Dan only has 6 posts on this board and you thought he was kidding/spamming...he's not. Dan did what he said in his post, and joined StopTech as our Marketing Mgr. this past Winter.
All the comments I've seen from Stoptech guys so far are to promote Stoptech and degrade all its competitors. Dont get me wrong, I think Stoptech has some really good products. But I dont see other brake manufactures bash their competitors like Stoptech. Just a thought. I wonder if that's really a good marketing strategy.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Gary King

I'm not attacking you but, the way I see StopTech's posts is that they come on here to help people and offer accurate technical information on their products. If a competitive comparison comes up, what is wrong with that? It's not bashing, it's comparing to help explain competitive advantages. Really, most all manufactures when doing a sales presentation will discuss the pros and cons of themselves and their respective competitors. Ford vs. Chevy, Pepsi vs. Coke are good examples of product comparisons which should not be confused with bashing, mudslinging or slanderous statements.

Everyone has a right to the own opinion and will perceive things in their own way. I’m here to say that StopTech has my support and I feel the fact that they do so much research and development at the track and in the lab and offer so many excellent products for the Z/G platform while making themselves available to consumers as much as they do here is exemplary. If you don’t like them, that is your prerogative, but attacking them is pretty sad if you really looked at how much StopTech has and continues to contribute to this community of enthusiasts.

Gary

Originally Posted by VN_350z
All the comments I've seen from Stoptech guys so far are to promote Stoptech and degrade all its competitors. Dont get me wrong, I think Stoptech has some really good products. But I dont see other brake manufactures bash their competitors like Stoptech. Just a thought. I wonder if that's really a good marketing strategy.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:26 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
how many miles are on your Z? how many TRACK miles are on your Z?

It may be time to change out your front wheel hubs... It MAY help reduce some of the knock back..

Either way... it was a habit for me on my Z33 to tap the brake pedal out of a hard corner on the straight before the next corner before down shifting...

Plus, the Larger the rotor, the more knock back you may experience... smaller rotors w/ fixed calipers like the OE brembo do not get the same knockback as a 14.1" rotor
I've got 39,500 miles; of which only 2500 miles are track miles. Of the 2500, only 600 of them were on r-comps. I've had the same amount of pad knockback since day 1 (1.5 years ago). Even with the r-comps, the knockback isn't noticeably worse than when shod w/ street tires.

I don't get it on the street, and the brakes are reliable on the track. In fact, I've never experienced brake fade before on these 355mm brakes + Cobalt Spec VR.

Although I'm very tempted to replace my bearings and get new hub assemblies, I'm also afraid it would eat into half a years track fee budget. I check the hubs regularly, and they look clean, and feel smooth and solid. I'd just hate to spend a small fortune, and get no results. I certainly don't find it to be a safety issue, but more or less just a little annoying and a bit embarrassing when letting someone drive my car.

As for the rotors; are there rotors that allow some lateral float?

I couldn't be happier with Stoptech's product and service. I'm just trying to learn something here about rotor design and what a floating rotor is.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 AM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary King
I'm not attacking you but, the way I see StopTech's posts is that they come on here to help people and offer accurate technical information on their products. If a competitive comparison comes up, what is wrong with that? It's not bashing, it's comparing to help explain competitive advantages. Really, most all manufactures when doing a sales presentation will discuss the pros and cons of themselves and their respective competitors. Ford vs. Chevy, Pepsi vs. Coke are good examples of product comparisons which should not be confused with bashing, mudslinging or slanderous statements.

Everyone has a right to the own opinion and will perceive things in their own way. I’m here to say that StopTech has my support and I feel the fact that they do so much research and development at the track and in the lab and offer so many excellent products for the Z/G platform while making themselves available to consumers as much as they do here is exemplary. If you don’t like them, that is your prerogative, but attacking them is pretty sad if you really looked at how much StopTech has and continues to contribute to this community of enthusiasts.

Gary
check out this thread and you see what i am talking about.
Here's one of the quotes from stoptech guy:
"Okay, if I really need to say it, yes, Brembo makes a high quality brake system....BUT, our brake system is superior to the Brembo and AP systems for the 350Z"

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....light=stoptech
Old 07-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Gary King

I don't imagine that their intention was to offend people. It can some times be difficult to get your point across on the internet or any other means of communication without once and a while coming across as brash while not meaning to appear so. I've been guilty, post enough or talk enough for that matter and not everything will be perceived as you had intended.

"Okay, if I really need to say it, yes, Brembo makes a high quality brake system....BUT, our brake system is superior to the Brembo and AP systems for the 350Z"

Old 07-14-2006, 11:35 AM
spacemn_spiff

I have to agree to this somewhat, I am not trying to be caustic just trying to add a perspective to this thread. I would like to see an objective comparison instead of highlighting what is to their advantage, there has to some drawbacks to StopTech brakes which I feel should also be discussed instead of potraying them as the best that can be.

I love the technical information thats tossed around, I get to learn a lot even though I am the doubting kind. But in all this discussions some of objective comparison between manufacturers and lessons learned as they developed their brakes would be useful because above all we all are car nuts.

There is a reason why Brembo and AP Racing are where they are, and if StopTech is just as good, no doubt it will take them lesser time to be just as accepted.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
DZeckhausen

What's your goal here? Are you looking for technical information or just trying to stir up some debate in this thread? I'm happy to help you out with as much information as you need or want, but not if the effort is going to waste. I see you've already got a front Brembo BBK, so I'm tending to think your goal is the latter and not the former. But I don't want to assume anything. If you're curious about brake testing methodology or comparison test results, let me know and I'll spend as much time as I can with you.

The folks at StopTech set out in 1999 to create a better brake kit than what was available at that time. They believe they have succeeded and their own testing, independent magazine testing, and amateur and professional racing results have backed it up. I see nothing wrong with them making the statement that they have a better brake kit, as long as they can back it up with science and with testing results that can be duplicated by independent 3rd parties. It's not enough to just say it's better, however. They have to back it up.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
What's your goal here? Are you looking for technical information or just trying to stir up some debate in this thread? I'm happy to help you out with as much information as you need or want, but not if the effort is going to waste. I see you've already got a front Brembo BBK, so I'm tending to think your goal is the latter and not the former. But I don't want to assume anything. If you're curious about brake testing methodology or comparison test results, let me know and I'll spend as much time as I can with you.

The folks at StopTech set out in 1999 to create a better brake kit than what was available at that time. They believe they have succeeded and their own testing, independent magazine testing, and amateur and professional racing results have backed it up. I see nothing wrong with them making the statement that they have a better brake kit, as long as they can back it up with science and with testing results that can be duplicated by independent 3rd parties. It's not enough to just say it's better, however. They have to back it up.
I am not trying to stir anything. I just question the marketing strategy from Stoptech. Action means more than words. In stead of telling people their brake systems being more superior than other BBKs (baseless claim anyways), why don't they let the consumers decide for themselves and focusing on developing better BBK.
I am a consumer and honestly I hate saleman with loud mouth.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
DZeckhausen

I am not trying to stir anything. I just question the marketing strategy from Stoptech. Action means more than words. In stead of telling people their brake systems being more superior than other BBKs (baseless claim anyways), why don't they let the consumers decide for themselves and focusing on developing better BBK.
I am a consumer and honestly I hate saleman with loud mouth.
What, specifically, would you like them to do differently? Just build a better product and hope people will discover it for themselves without any help from their marketing or technical folks? Unless they point out the features and benefits of their system, nobody else will do it for them. And the competition will continue to tout the features and benefits of their products. I'm really not sure what your objection is.

Also, you state that all their claims of superiority are "baseless." On what do you base this statement? Have you evaluated all of StopTech's claims and found them to be without merit? What, specifically, do you hear StopTech claiming that you feel is baseless? I'm more than happy (as is StopTech's team) to back up any claims with lab test results, field test results, racing results, engineering reference material, or whatever else would make you happy. They aren't just claiming they are better. They are showing why they are.

If you have a list of claims from StopTech you feel are without basis in fact, let's see it. We'll examine the claim with a critical eye and look for supporting data. If it's not there, then your point is valid.