Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
riced05z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering question

hey guys
i would like to know if anyone can help me out here...i wana lower my car about an inch on 19's. i dont know if springs or if coilovers are the best decision...i dont want a gap at all, and i dont want to have camber problems. what do u guys recommend, and do i need a camber kit or upper control arms or that stuff??
Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
changsw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've lowered my previous car before my Z and I used the Eibach Pro-Kit; before that, with Eibach Sportline. Pro-Kit lowers the Z 1" both front and back, Sportline lowers 1.2" front and back. If want no gap without any serious camber/caster problems, I think your best bet would be to go with the Pro-Kit. Otherwise, you'll run into rubbing issues especially when turning.

I also hear that lowering your car up to 1", provided by the Pro-Kit, you can still fix your camber/caster with the stock control arms and suspension components, so no need to buy camber kits, which can be pricey.

So in conclusion, unless you are serious about racing at the track or are a suspension guru, I would stick with the Pro-Kit for everyday driving with good looks. Coilovers are another way to go, but again, unless you know alot about suspension and precise measurements, I would just go with springs. I've had bad experiences with coilovers and extreme lowering springs. Trust me, save yourself the headache.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
riced05z

thanx alot man...i appreciate that alot
Old 02-27-2006, 12:46 PM
eez

Originally Posted by changsw
I also hear that lowering your car up to 1", provided by the Pro-Kit, you can still fix your camber/caster with the stock control arms and suspension components, so no need to buy camber kits, which can be pricey.
Can someone confirm this?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
changsw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riced05z
thanx alot man...i appreciate that alot
No problem man. I'm no suspension genius, but going off of what I've been through, I don't want others to do the same.

Good luck, hopefully someone can confirm my statement on using the stock control arms.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eez
If you lower 1" you will still have quite a bit of negative camber even after getting an alignment. It may be technically within nissan specs, I'm not sure.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM
UCLAzzz

numerous people on this site have stated lowering any more then around 0,8" you can run into camber issues! I'm in the same boat, you should search previous threads re: this same issue, if your researching a specific spring search that sping name! Last night I read someone who lowered 1" all around and he thinks his tires life is decrease by 30-40% compared to factory specs! I think I found that post under a thread re:SPC camber arms! LOL
Old 02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I'm not saying you will have REDICULOUS camber, (i.e. your camber may be within specs) but you *will* have camber.

Obviously any camber relates to decreased tire life unless you do the tire/wheel flip...
Old 02-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eez
Front camber is NOT adjustable on the 350Z. Lowering the car will give you more camber. It's just a question of living with it.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
riced05z

so pretty much if i lower with 19's, my tires will wear sh*tty?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
streetracer

There is a set of TANABE SUSTEC GF210 Lowering Springs that lower the car 1" front and 1.2" back. The specs are:
Spring Rates:

FR: 6.0kg/mm
RR: 6.7kg/mm

Does anyone know if these springs are a good idea? My goal is to use them for Solo 1 track days and daily driving.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by streetracer
There is a set of TANABE SUSTEC GF210 Lowering Springs that lower the car 1" front and 1.2" back. The specs are:
Spring Rates:

FR: 6.0kg/mm
RR: 6.7kg/mm

Does anyone know if these springs are a good idea? My goal is to use them for Solo 1 track days and daily driving.
They are fine for daily driving, but a poor choice for solo2. A better choice with a simular drop would be Tokico D-spec springs which you can buy seperate from the shocks.

Tokico D-spec springs 1.2"/1.2"
FR:6.7Kg (linear rate, not progressive)
RR:6.7Kg (linear rate, not progressive)
Old 02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by eez
How do I put this,..... hmmm

As a member that has been here since 2003 and takes a rather disturbing interest in most things suspension, I once did a mass search awhile back looking at all eibach spring install posts and what happened concerning alignment. This is the result of that search.

1. Most of the owner's that did bother to align the car were not able to bring the car back to within oem front and rear specs, several owners purchased front and rear camber correction arms to bring the car back with oem specs.

2. Some of the owner's in the above group only added aftermarket correction in the rear, feeling that the ($400 or higher) expence of adjustable front upper arms was not worth the cost, basically the car was not out enough to warrant the cost in their minds.

3. A few like to claim that the car was within specs, but I never ever say a post where they talked about actual specs when that was said. And frankly, we have too much data on hand that points to the fact that past a .8" drop you'll be out of oem specs.

4. For the others, they either like the look of a lot of camber or they just don't care.

BTW, you CANNOT adjust the camber in the front of the car without the use of aftermarket upper control arms.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:02 AM
streetracer

Question Gsedan35: The Tokico springs proposed need aftermarket camber plates, or I can go racing Solo2 with the camber they provide?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:19 AM
abstrakt

Originally Posted by Kolia
Front camber is NOT adjustable on the 350Z. Lowering the car will give you more camber. It's just a question of living with it.
It is adjustable if you buy adjustable front control arms which I would recommend if you lower an inch or more
Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 AM
eez

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
How do I put this,..... hmmm

As a member that has been here since 2003 and takes a rather disturbing interest in most things suspension, I once did a mass search awhile back looking at all eibach spring install posts and what happened concerning alignment. This is the result of that search.

1. Most of the owner's that did bother to align the car were not able to bring the car back to within oem front and rear specs, several owners purchased front and rear camber correction arms to bring the car back with oem specs.

2. Some of the owner's in the above group only added aftermarket correction in the rear, feeling that the ($400 or higher) expence of adjustable front upper arms was not worth the cost, basically the car was not out enough to warrant the cost in their minds.

3. A few like to claim that the car was within specs, but I never ever say a post where they talked about actual specs when that was said. And frankly, we have too much data on hand that points to the fact that past a .8" drop you'll be out of oem specs.

4. For the others, they either like the look of a lot of camber or they just don't care.

BTW, you CANNOT adjust the camber in the front of the car without the use of aftermarket upper control arms.

Thanks Gsedan35 - I have searched all threads regarding eibach springs also, and all I ever hear is "i think you can get it back to specs with a 1 inch drop". So my research coensides with yours that there is no hard evidence of being within factory specs with a 1 inch drop.

I am going to play it safe and go with RS*R springs - They have very close rates compared to my 06: 345/417 vs stock 314/427 with a .6 inch drop.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by streetracer
Question Gsedan35: The Tokico springs proposed need aftermarket camber plates, or I can go racing Solo2 with the camber they provide?
Certainly any spring that drops you 1.2" like the Tokico's do will require front and rear alignment parts to get back within oem alignment specs. Now, the specs you get at that drop may or may not be what you wish for to be ideal for solo2. Up to -3 degree's is within the norm for competitive alignment purposes, what to use is up to you, though I doubt such a drop will see the camber that high. Of course these car's can't use camber plates.