Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Emergency suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:51 AM
JonathanG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency suspension help

I just sheader off a bolt that runs through the bottom of my tein shock. I am inclined to cut out the shock if i can get another one from somewhere/a vendor. I have attached pics let me know if you have any other ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Emergency suspension help-dsc00002.jpg   Emergency suspension help-dsc00003.jpg   Emergency suspension help-dsc00004.jpg  
Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Ztalker

have you tried drilling out the broken bolt first.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 AM
JonathanG35

no, the shock is still in the car. I though about cutting the bolt and pulling out the shock and using a drill press to extract the remaining bolt and then a tap and die to clean up the threads but all my tools are in storages since i just moved and it may be cheaper in terms of time saved to just cut the shock at the bracket and replace it.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Sleepy79

Try drilling a hole for a small ez-out (1/2 dia of bolt) and see if you can get away with that, just make sure there is nothing to bind the bolt as you try to remove it.
It should come out fairly easy because there is no force on the treads with the head being broken off.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you are in a jam, but the fastest and best way to do this is to extract this broken bolt, rather than cutting the shock up. Goto Sears and buy a few different bolt extractors...hammer it in there, and impact the sucker out. Also apply a liberal amount of rust buster as well.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:57 PM
ClaytonC01

+1 on what Sharif said.. dont go cuttin up the shock... thats just throwin money away, throw money my way and ill come do it for you... lol
Old 03-12-2006, 07:20 PM
JonathanG35

Thanks guys. I ordered an extraction kit from snap on which hopefully will get the job done. It has a bunch of cobalt bits and a couple of ez out style extractors. I will get to work on it next weekend when go back to c burg. I had to borrow a car from my girls parents to get back to nova for work this week. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:26 AM
JonathanG35

update.

I drilled through the bolt and put the extractor in and got nowhere. so I cut through the bushing to get the shock out. SO i got the shock out and drilled a new hole and i still cant get the bolt out with the extractor. Aside from not having the bolt out of the shock yet I now need to know how to get the ould bushing out which still has bolt stuck in it so i can put the new bushing i ordered in and possibly put my factory shock in if i cant get the bolt out of the flex shock.

Thanks guys
Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Gary King

Have you tried heat and penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench, which is not flammable? If you can get a butane torch to it, with out damaging other components, bolts will usually break free. Also if the bolt is under load, try to take any tension off of it.

Last edited by Gary King; 03-18-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:52 AM
JonathanG35

yeah, i have been juicing it with liguid wrench and torching it between trips to the hardware store. I just rounded the edges of one of my extractors so i am gonna get another.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:42 PM
JonathanG35

ok, this is the second extractor i have rounded off. That bolt aint coming out. to make matters worse, the remnants of the bolt are stuck in the bushing and DEFINITELY not coming out. I have another bushing. I googled about how to replace bushings and apparently there is a bushing press tool but i cant find it anywhere. As far as the shock, i think i may cut the bolt that is welded onto the side off if i can find one with matching threads and weld the new bolt on????

Any thoughts would be gretly appreciated esp as they apply to the bushing. I really dont want to buy a spindle.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since nothing is working, IMO call Tein, explain the situation and ask them if a rear dampner get's shipped to their so cal shop can they weld a tab back on. If they can, I would use a dremel and grind away the threaded tab with the bolt inside it. Once ground off use a floor jack and releave the springs downward pressure on the bolt and use whatever is at hand to hammer out what's left of the bolt. IIRC the dremel grinding wheel you'll want is part number 503.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:16 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Just curious, but that looks like a simple thru bolt that has a nut at the end, right? One end of the bolt has sheared off. Can't you just use a small steel dowel or similar object and a hammer to knock the bolt out through the shock?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
MoodDude

I am wondering how you sheared off the bolt?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vo7848
Just curious, but that looks like a simple thru bolt that has a nut at the end, right? One end of the bolt has sheared off. Can't you just use a small steel dowel or similar object and a hammer to knock the bolt out through the shock?
No, the collar is threaded on the other end.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
No, the collar is threaded on the other end.
ewwww, that sucks. I've never seen that type of bolt design. I guess they wanna make sure it never comes off. For future use, after he removes it, I'd be inclined to drill out the threaded part of the stut/shock to a smooth suface then use a regular bolt to fasten it down. When ever I refasten highly torqued bolts like that, I always put a coat of synthetic axel grease on em'. I keeps the rust film from forming, which is usually what freezes them up in the 1st place.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
HokieZ

Ouch man, that sucks. Good luck with it however you get it solved.

Oh, and BTW. Go HOKIES! I loved blacksburg, but can't believe how much it's changed in the 8 years since I left.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:22 AM
BeyJer

EDIT:Originally Posted by vo7848
Just curious, but that looks like a simple thru bolt that has a nut at the end, right? One end of the bolt has sheared off. Can't you just use a small steel dowel or similar object and a hammer to knock the bolt out through the shock?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<didn't see that, so +1

have you tried lifting the arm with a jack to load the suspension, there by reducing the tension on the bolt? same thing happened to me (i didn't go as far as to break the bolt thank God!) and loading suspension to remove load from bolt helped a lot.

get something tuff and that fits between there to hammer out the old bolt once you have the suspension loaded and the bolt unloaded.

btw, you need to pump jack, hammer, pump jack until you feel it coming loose little by little.

hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Tokyo Mike

Originally Posted by BeyJer

have you tried lifting the arm with a jack to load the suspension, there by reducing the tension on the bolt? same thing happened to me (i didn't go as far as to break the bolt thank God!) and loading suspension to remove load from bolt helped a lot.

get something tuff and that fits between there to hammer out the old bolt once you have the suspension loaded and the bolt unloaded.

btw, you need to pump jack, hammer, pump jack until you feel it coming loose little by little.

hope that helps.
+1, yup make sure you load it up. Similar incident happened to me this past week. I ended up die grinding the other side of the bolt (the nut side for your case) and then slid a screw driver and hammered it out. You may have to remove that upper arm to give you some more room.

Oh as far as the bushing is concerned, you need to take it to a place that has a hydraulic press. Thats all it really takes. My local tire shop pushes bushings in.