Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo Solid Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009 | 07:31 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I'll do some of the work for you. A simple search of the NISMO sub-forum would have yielded you this thread...

https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z/...s-mystery.html

Read through it and you'll find that the front sway is the same as the regular 350Z, the rear is stiffer.
Same poster also say's, "And it should be mentioned, that '03 Zs are supposed to be stiffer that later years." This is simply not true.

But I did find the post below by starting at the first post in the Nismo section and working my way backwards, took about 7 pages of so to find.

Originally Posted by whitt1
I measured my rear sway bar at 23mm.I couldn't measure the front without a lift.
Oem rear bar is 22mm (22.3mm IIRC). So that would make the Nismo Z's rear bar 1mm to .7mm fatter (still hollow of course).
Old 07-26-2009 | 05:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Same poster also say's, "And it should be mentioned, that '03 Zs are supposed to be stiffer that later years." This is simply not true.
Correct. The suspension change between 03 and 04 was to the springs.
Old 07-26-2009 | 07:32 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
No on knows the answer. BUT, since the S-tune shocks and springs are not the same as the Nismo-Z shocks and springs, why would the sway bars be the same? Especially since oem regular Z's built after 04.5 have oem bar's that are almost identical to S-tune bars.

Problem is, with the limited nature of the Nismo Z, unlike regular Z's where oem bar's are a dime a dozen, no one is going to cut a set of bar's in half to measure the hollow wall thickness so we can math out the torsional regidity. Not unless someone can do the math based on weight and outside diameter alone.
It would require material density and a couple of general assumptions, in particular, assuming the end pieces are just the same as the rest of the bar except pressed flat. Also that the material is uniform throughout and that both bars are made of the same material. The bars would have to be equal total length as well.

Terry

EDIT: The bars don't have to be equal length, but it sure as heck would make the calculation simpler.

Last edited by T_K; 07-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2009 | 07:52 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Correct. The suspension change between 03 and 04 was to the springs.
The changes that occured were running changes midway into 2004 production. Those changes were as follow's.

It was alot more then different rear springs.

New shocks with different valving (rear's have less rebound, but exactly the same compression damping 0ips to 10ips) I can tell you that the fronts almost certainly have less low speed compression though I have not had a chance to dyno 04.5 front shocks vs the 03 shock dyno's I have run.

New rear dustshield/bumpstops, add's foam iinsert with the same type of hard rubber above.

New rear springs that are 25% stiffer. Front springs are unchanged 03-08.

New front sway bar 17% stiffer then before, courtesy of thicker metal in it's hollow wall construction.

2006 saw the final change, though unpublished so we have no details. Shock's changed front and rear with new part numbers.
Old 07-27-2009 | 07:53 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by T_K
It would require material density and a couple of general assumptions, in particular, assuming the end pieces are just the same as the rest of the bar except pressed flat. Also that the material is uniform throughout and that both bars are made of the same material. The bars would have to be equal total length as well.

Terry

EDIT: The bars don't have to be equal length, but it sure as heck would make the calculation simpler.
Kinda thought so, thanks Terry
Old 07-28-2009 | 06:21 PM
T_K

I thought about this some more, and the only way a calculation would mean anything, is if the Nismo bar was nearly a physical clone to the regular bar, except for the thickness. Exact same orientation and lever arm length. However, even with those assumptions, it's possible to get a ballpark figure on the thickness.

If both bars use the same material, it's possible to backwards calculate density with the actual wall thickness of the regular bars. If anyone is up for it, here's a list of numbers I'll need...

OEM bar Diameter.
OEM bar Weight.
OEM bar Wall Thickness.
Nismo bar Diameter.
Nismo bar Weight.

Terry