Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Flushing Brake Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Case

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing Brake Fluids

Question on flushing brake fluids,

Im moving from DOT 3 to DOT 4. Is there any better way to fdo this transition other than topping off and bleeding out all of the lines? I cant imagine there is, but figured id ask when my search turned nothing up. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Mathys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in some good opinions on this as well!

Sometimes the dot4 is a different color, which makes it easier to bleed all the way till the old color is gone..... But whether this the way to do it, don't know...
Old 09-09-2006, 04:56 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Case
Question on flushing brake fluids,

Im moving from DOT 3 to DOT 4. Is there any better way to fdo this transition other than topping off and bleeding out all of the lines? I cant imagine there is, but figured id ask when my search turned nothing up. Thanks!
I'm going to assume that you are experienced bleeding brakes and just add as advice that if you are going to replace all of it such as doing a DOT3 to DOT4 swap you can get a turkey baster at WalMart and suck the DOT 3 out of the master cylinder then fill it with DOT4 as your first step. Then start your normal bleeding. You will save a lot of time not having to bleed all of that through a wheel cylinder. I would still follow the rule of not going below MIN personally just to avoid any trouble. Also be prepared that the fluid will probably start to come out of the baster on its own when you remove it so be prepared to tip it up fast and put your finger over it. Protect your paint you don't want brake fluid on it. You can also go to auto store and get a small fluid hand pump filler that many use to fill differentials,etc. but cheap would be a turkey baster! Hope it helps
Old 09-09-2006, 05:00 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by Mathys
I'm interested in some good opinions on this as well!

Sometimes the dot4 is a different color, which makes it easier to bleed all the way till the old color is gone..... But whether this the way to do it, don't know...
That's exactly the way to do it. On my last car I switched to Super Blue ATE DOT4 and you will know when the old fluid is all out of each line by watching the color. Then every couple of years I would buy the other color ATE DOT4 (they make a regular amber color too) so when I would try and replace all fluid I would know when I could stop and move to the next wheel cylinder.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If ur running a 6 sp -flush that too. Main reason for flushing fluids is to get the accumulated moisture out that raises havoc with calipers and cylinders.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:37 AM
bjr

Haven't done a Z yet. I was just remembering that the master cylinder has a float swtich all the way up in the filler neck so you might not be able to use the trick I mentioned! At least it sounds like you know how to do it the longest way possible
I have 38000 miles on mine and should need brakes sometime soon. I bought a SpeediBleeder kit for both my clutch and brake master cylinders so hopefully things will be quick and effective when I do have to do it. On my last car I would pump the brakes then place a 1" wooden dowel between the power seat and brake pedal and move the seat up with the button to do the last stroke and hold then go open and close the wheel bleeder. Nothing like an all day job! If you get a helper you shouldn't be out there too long.