Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How do you tighten up the ebrake? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 PM
NA350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tighten up the ebrake? ? ?

And yes I did use the search function. I let my best friend drive the car a couple of times and each time he yanked the ebrake with all his might when parking like it was some 1977 Cadillac or something. It was tight before, now it doesnt even hold on a hill. How do you tighten the damn thing? Im expecting to hear something about removing the center console but damn I dont want to do that.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 PM
CFaddict350z
Banned

let me know mine is loose as hell too!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Mathys

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails How do you tighten up the ebrake? ? ?-parking-brake.jpg  
Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i actually heard recently that if you drive in reverse and pull and release the hand brake it will tighten... don't really know if that'd work but it could be fun to try.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a cut and paste of what I wrote the other day in another thread

The E-Brakes should be self adjustable, It is a shoe brake that is no differant than what was on a 57 Chevy as a standard drum brake, There has been no refinment. Its design is over 60 yrs old.
BUT--- as we all know, they do get out of adjustment. If u dont drive with ur E brake on or use it for race purposes the shoe will last a VERY long time. Possibly for the life of ur car, all it does is lock the rear wheels at a dead stop.
But **** happens---U get cable stetch, u get freeze up on the star adjuster and if u seldomly use ur E Brake, because of crap that gets in the cable, when u do use it, it will lock in a engaged state.
Pull off ur rotors,Spray everything with Brake Cleaner,disassemble the E-Brake components keeping in mind which spring goes where,and whats up and down on the shoes. Lay everything in order next to u, there is the adjuster on top called the star adjuster,make sure u make a mental note of which end faces front and rear, Spray again including shoes. At pivot points and wear points on the backing plate apply a small amoint of Hi temp Brake assy grease, unscrew the adjuster making sure the threads are cleaned and lube them.
Re assemble with the adjuster all the way screwed in. Measure the distance across the shoes and the rotor drum, run ur adjuster out til u get within slightly less than rotor drum DIA. Making sure every thing is centered and the drum is tite against the hub, spin the rotor and readjust til it barely rubs, apply the E-Brake and chk again. That will compress and center everything. Repeat til u get that slight rubbing.
Disassemble one side at a time so u can reference it on reassy.

I went A-Z here just to explain all. Simple adjustment can be done by manually turning the star adjuster to tighten the gap between shoes and drum but disassembly helps in the very important clean and relube
Old 09-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathys
Hope this helps...
And thats interesting read---I hadnt bothered to even look in the manual. Lube points are VERY important though and just keeping things clean "back there"