Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

End Links?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Amiricanmade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dklau33
I just replaced all 4 of my endlinks on my '04 G35 sedan with the supposed oem beefier links for an '05+ model. The old endlinks were definitely shot and the balljoints moved around too freely. Probably a combo of 4 track days, numerous canyon runs and crappy cali roads. After the install I could immediately tell the car felt much more solid and the slop had gone away. But the question is how long will these new oem end links last? Would be nice to go with a solid aftermarket end link that can take abuse.
+1, if i was to replace my endlinks with beefier aftermarket ones, how long would the beefier ones last?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
+1, if i was to replace my endlinks with beefier aftermarket ones, how long would the beefier ones last?
It all depends on what you do with your Z (daily driver only, auto X, track, drag, drift, etc.) . . .
Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 AM
z-u-later

Any updates on availability, anyone?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when ours are available, we'll post
Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 AM
daveh

I was just at TC Design last Friday to pick up some other parts and as of then they were still waiting on some of the end link parts. They're off to SEMA this week and will be at Moton next week. I'll post back as soon as they're ready.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I figured out the issues w/ this thing. When I installed my rear camber arm and toe bolt, my driving somehow made the toe bolt *move* thus causing the rear wheels to point a few degrees inward toward the center of the car causing all the bump steer. Bad bald tires caused slippage in the rain causing the rear end to wobble back and forth in bad weather. I'm getting the toe fixed for free so wasn't a severe problem afterall.

Update on the SPL End Links: Overtime, the adjustability option didn't stay tight and it loosened itself. I went under there and could turn the **** w/ my hand which isn't good. I tightened them back up, but next time around, im going to purchase solid end links, non-adjustable with polyurethane inserts.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
philude

Originally Posted by abui01
Update on the SPL End Links: Overtime, the adjustability option didn't stay tight and it loosened itself. I went under there and could turn the **** w/ my hand which isn't good. I tightened them back up, but next time around, im going to purchase solid end links, non-adjustable with polyurethane inserts.
woord, i can't wait til they come out.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

We had no issues on the 350Z we installed them on, and have been running since Feb this year. Please make sure you tighten them correctly:

When tightening the jam nut you have to hold the buckle with a wrench, and use another wrench to tighten each jam nut. You cannot tighten the jam nut with a single wrench relying on the bearing

You have to make sure the both bearings can pivot as much as possible after tightening. You do not want the bearings to be binding after tightening, the endlink should be able to twist left and right by hand. As long as the jam nuts are tight that means the endlink is fixed, being able to pivot does not mean the endlink is not holding its length setting. The endlink has to be able to pivot to take up suspension movement.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 PM
abui01

Originally Posted by kuah
We had no issues on the 350Z we installed them on, and have been running since Feb this year. Please make sure you tighten them correctly:

When tightening the jam nut you have to hold the buckle with a wrench, and use another wrench to tighten each jam nut. You cannot tighten the jam nut with a single wrench relying on the bearing

You have to make sure the both bearings can pivot as much as possible after tightening. You do not want the bearings to be binding after tightening, the endlink should be able to twist left and right by hand. As long as the jam nuts are tight that means the endlink is fixed, being able to pivot does not mean the endlink is not holding its length setting. The endlink has to be able to pivot to take up suspension movement.
We had the car 6ft in the air on a lift w/ plenty of clearance to tighten the buckle and the jam nut. I went under there with two wrenches, one on the buckle, one on the nut and used all my strength to make sure those suckers were ON THERE and wouldn't be able to shift vertically and lose it's length settings (but it loosened itself and did anyway for some odd reason). The links themselves are able to twist by me using just my hand like you described, everything works perfectly fine, I'm just a little confused at what caused them to loosen themselves.

Perhaps you guys had better luck on your car, but knowing me and my odd history of problems that no one else seems to have, this is just normal
Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Endless Shock

TTT... Any new updates???
Old 11-04-2006, 11:57 AM
MoodDude

THK already makes high quality adjustable end links for the Z:

www.powergridinc.com

And if you replace your end links you want them to be adjustable, especially if you have coilovers! And these are NOT heim joints like the others

For those of you who don't know why you want them adjustable: you can achieve a perfect 50/50 cross weight with adjustable, where as fix links will cause a preload condition which will make it impossible to get you cross weights right!

And as far as you not knowing anyone that had a pre-load issue with their cross weights - I am one. I had perfect 50/50 cross weights w/o the sways attached, once attached it went to a 51/49 condition. As far as adjusting the ride height to conter this - it is too coarse a thread to get it perfect. Thus, once I went to a adjustable end link - my problem was solved.

And I also agree, end link should be bearings - not bushings to prevent it from binding.

Last edited by MoodDude; 11-04-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:51 PM
z-u-later

Man, this is great news!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by MoodDude
THK already makes high quality adjustable end links for the Z:

www.powergridinc.com
So you have these?

Got any reveiws for us?
Old 11-05-2006, 04:06 PM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by 21112
So you have these?

Got any reveiws for us?
I have them. No reviews as I just got them on and haven't been to the track yet, since I don't drive my car on the street anymore.
I will be using them this coming weekend at Sebring and let you know how it goes.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:22 PM
z-u-later

Looking forward to your review of these end links after you've taken your Z to the track. What is your current suspension setup?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by MoodDude
I had perfect 50/50 cross weights w/o the sways attached, once attached it went to a 51/49 condition.
Is that with the driver or without?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
MoodDude

All cross weight should be made with the driver, with the appropriate amount of fuel.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
no problem - we actually have 2 Z's in house as well as several local cars we'll be doing testing on once the prototypes are done
So this should fit for the G35's as well? Any update ETA?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM
DMK

Here are the photos of some before and afters.

1. Buff SPL End Link on left, wimpy OEM on right:

2. Stock OEM End Link:

3. SPL End Link Installed:

Thoughts after driving:
Regular street driving - everything feels firmer again, no more wobble, solid! Lets hope these dont wimp out on me after I install beefier solid sway bars.
Highway cornering @ 80mph+ and hitting bumps while turning - STILL solid! Very well engineered product! I am satisfied... for now!

Next Test: AutoX Course + Corner Balancing using the adjustability function, I will post results when I get a chance to really test these to its limits... hopefully the ball joint doesn't fly off on me
When you installed these, did you adjust the end links to be equal length to the stock ones you took out? I'm asking because I am thinking of doing this install myself. Just to make sure, SPL front links aren't out yet?

EDIT: Sorry, saw you posted your answer a little more down. So, did you just "eyeball" the length? Also, have the loosened up again? What was your mileage when the links started to make sounds? Thanks.

Last edited by DMK; 11-06-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

like I said in previous posts, when we have an update to post, we will - designing these the way we want them and as we've done on previous units takes some time as does testing but once completed, we'll be sure to post

Quick Reply: End Links?