Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tokico D-Spec vs Tein Basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Tokico D-Spec vs Tein Basics

I did an extensive search and could only find one who has used the Basics on the track and liked them (zillinois). Similarly, not many have reviewed the Tokico D-spec for track/autoX usage.

I am looking for a spring/shock combo that will give me good streetability, but more importantly one that will have good track DE/AutoX prowess. My criteria are that the system is somewhat civil for daily driving, and I do not want to spend an arm+leg on a full race coilover setup (not planning on getting competitive). I had set myself on the Tokico D-Spec spring/shock combo, but then realized the Tein Basic is in the same price range. The obvious difference is that one is adjustable for compression/rebound (D-Spec, simultaneous adjustment), and the other is adjustable for ride height. Also, I think the Basic has a higher spring rate at ~500 lbs each side.

Please let me know what you think.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
I did an extensive search and could only find one who has used the Basics on the track and liked them (zillinois). Similarly, not many have reviewed the Tokico D-spec for track/autoX usage.

I am looking for a spring/shock combo that will give me good streetability, but more importantly one that will have good track DE/AutoX prowess. My criteria are that the system is somewhat civil for daily driving, and I do not want to spend an arm+leg on a full race coilover setup (not planning on getting competitive). I had set myself on the Tokico D-Spec spring/shock combo, but then realized the Tein Basic is in the same price range. The obvious difference is that one is adjustable for compression/rebound (D-Spec, simultaneous adjustment), and the other is adjustable for ride height. Also, I think the Basic has a higher spring rate at ~500 lbs each side.

Please let me know what you think.
Depending on what springs you get, Tokico D-Spec All the way!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Depending on what springs you get, Tokico D-Spec All the way!!
Any spring recommendations. In the searches, I find so many differing opinions it is hard to come to a solid conclusion. I was planning to go with the Tokico shock/spring combo...any good?

Last edited by guitman32; 11-16-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:30 AM
MarkM

Any spring recommendations. In the searches, I find so many differeing opinions it is hard to come to a solid conclusion. I was planning to go with the Tokico shock/spring combo...any good?

the problem with that is that the drop will be outside the standard adjustment for camber...to correct you'd need adjustable camber arms. I have d specs with hotchkis springs, very comfortable ride and the mid corner bounce which annoyed me has dissapeared. I'm at 3 turns front and rear with the d specs right now and find it's a great compromise of comfort/handling. Drop is quite mild on my 06 though, but still looks great This is it right after install, it had drop slightly more since, but nothing major.....
Old 11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Any spring recommendations. In the searches, I find so many differing opinions it is hard to come to a solid conclusion. I was planning to go with the Tokico shock/spring combo...any good?
I recommend Eibach Pro Kit for a nice mild drop, or for a even more agressive stance, the Eibach Sportline. Both are great.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like my Tein S Techs with the Tokico's
Old 11-16-2006, 12:23 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If those two are your choices and you're going to track the car, I would get the Teins. The springs on the teins a stiffer than and off the shelf spring only kit. Most every spring kit for the Z run rates equal to, or softer than stock. The Tein are about 20% stiffer (more in the front) and the shocks are built to handle those rates.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into the Swift or Espelir Active GT springs as I believe they are 25 or 30% stiffer than factory. Match it up to a nice swaybar set and you're good to go. The stiffer your suspension is, the stickier the tire you will need on track. Just my opinion. Look into the Bilstein PSS9's or Cusco Zero2's if you can crack the $1400 mark. I'll most likely be doing the PSS9's next spring with full intentions of tracking my Z at local time trials.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
guitman32

Hey WA2GOOD, I just noticed you had a set of Tein basics for sale recently...what did you replace them with? How come you got rid of the Basics?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:53 PM
guitman32

Hey thanks for all your replies.

I get the general feeling that most recomment the D-Specs. I think the original reason I started to consider the Tein Basics was becuase of what 350Zteve mentioned, which is that the Teins have a higher spring rate.

Its not really the money that is holding me back from a more comprehensive set, I just dont see the justification if I am not going to be competitive. I would rather spend say $800-$900 and spend the difference on tires you know.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 PM
plumpzz

You can get them for 500 new from most vendors. Do it! I know I am when i have 300 more bucks.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Hey WA2GOOD, I just noticed you had a set of Tein basics for sale recently...what did you replace them with? How come you got rid of the Basics?
These were on a car I aquired that already had them on, they are replaced with a custom coilover set up.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most people who have Basics do not track the car - if they are doing lots of track days, most are stepping up to a higher end spec of coilover, or going with Koni shocks and their choice of springs

Forget comparing the spring rates of the coilver vs the spring and shock combo - the damper is going to largely determine how each rate feels to you in both on and off track performance.

The D Spec spring and shock combo would be a great setup for you given your needs and it won't break the bank
Old 11-17-2006, 11:49 PM
350z4realz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USN HM 350Z ,
I noticed that you mentioned you have tokico d-specs and tien s tech set up. I have s tech tiens and stock shocks(doesn't seem like the stock shocks can handle the springs very well), would like to get tokico d-specs also. How is the ride?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Ztalker

i got tokico D-specs(3 turns counter clockwise from full stiffness) on stock springs and they ride great. i'll sell my stock struts for 50$plus shipping.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Super Avan Z33

D-specs+Tanabe GF210? anyone have this combo on their Z's and how's the handling?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:29 PM
knight_white99

I am looking for a spring/shock combo that will give me good streetability, but more importantly one that will have good track DE/AutoX prowess.
Do another search. I have reviewed these in a few threads. I am using the Tokico D-Specs along with Tom Motorsport springs. These have a threaded collar for coilover-like ride height adjustability. They work very well on the track and are acceptable for the street. I highly recommend this combo.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Do another search. I have reviewed these in a few threads. I am using the Tokico D-Specs along with Tom Motorsport springs. These have a threaded collar for coilover-like ride height adjustability. They work very well on the track and are acceptable for the street. I highly recommend this combo.
Will do. I will also look into these springs.

Judging by the responses, it seems the Tokicos are more aligned with my intended application. Time to look for best prices.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I'd rather have adjustable dampening than ride height, so I went with D-Specs/Hotchkis springs
Old 11-25-2006, 04:33 AM
TiPIACE

im running the d-specs with Tanabe NF210 progressive springs (which i believe are the lowest drop spring on the market) and the ride comfort is perfect for me - i aliken it to a 330ci BMW, its soft in initial compression then firms up in corners

i was contemplating a set of coilovers because my car was a little too low once the Nismo kit went on, but after driving back to back with my mates Tein Super Streets (softest spring rates of any coilover), there were bumps i couldnt even feel in my car (my shocks are set 5 turns from max hard). Needless to say i ditched the coilover idea. These shocks are fantastic

adjustment on the front is really easy, but the rears require removal because the adjustment nut for all 4 are on the top of the shock

Quick Reply: Tokico D-Spec vs Tein Basics