Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i found 20 different coil over kits

which to buy

http://www.hopupracing.com/coilovers1.html
Old 12-12-2006, 10:20 AM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't necessarily need all of the above just to lower the car. It depends on your budget and what you're going for (height, adjustability, ride, etc).

You can just lower the car with springs... but what else are you looking for?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by bofa
You don't necessarily need all of the above just to lower the car. It depends on your budget and what you're going for (height, adjustability, ride, etc).

You can just lower the car with springs... but what else are you looking for?
i want coil overs

don't really need adjustability

money not an object

maybe 1" to 1.5" front drop
and .75" to 1.25" rear drop

i want sway bars with poly bush and like the hotchkis sways in red

so i was gonna do the hotchkis sways unless there is a better choice for less
i like the sway bars thick not thin like stock

but coil overs i can't decide

eibach performance pro street
tanabe sustec pro s-oc
tokico d spec

not sure on coil overs

don't need a $2000 set of coil overs cause i won't adjust them

want a lowered stance
good ride

19x8.5 volk gt7 245/30/19 front
19x9.5 volk gt7 265/30/19 rear
Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
b.d.racing

You don't need coilovers if you don't want to adjust. I'm new to this car so I haven't looked much but with my BMW the mixture of Bilstein or Koni shocks with H&R or Eibach springs proved to be a nice ride. Just make sure you find a softer spring so you don't get a stiff ride. Can't go wrong with Hotchkis sways
Old 12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
stein

Originally Posted by 350zspl
...money not an object...
Must be nice! Care to share

Seriously, if you're not needing the adjustably of coilovers then go with just springs. If you find the ride is too stiff/soft then get struts later, look at single adjustable (SA) struts to tune in your ride preference. You can also get spring/strut sets that are adjustable if you're concerned about ride stiffness/bounce. Coilovers imo are more for a race setup, someone who's unsure about ride height, or wanting to slam their ride...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, the common theme across most car enthusiast forums is that aftermarket springs + stock shocks = premature shock failure, so it should be avoided. If money is no object maybe a set of adjustable coilovers would be appropriate. That way you can adjust the dampening to get the ride closer to your liking, but you won't need to adjust the ride height if you prefer not to.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
350zspl
Banned

[QUOTE=b.d.racing]You don't need coilovers if you don't want to adjust. I'm new to this car so I haven't looked much but with my BMW the mixture of Bilstein or Koni shocks with H&R or Eibach springs proved to be a nice ride. Just make sure you find a softer spring so you don't get a stiff ride. Can't go wrong with Hotchkis sways[/QUOTE

i want coilovers so i don't have to seperate my factory shocks and load them in to new springs

would rather just remove old put in new
Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by stein
Must be nice! Care to share

Seriously, if you're not needing the adjustably of coilovers then go with just springs. If you find the ride is too stiff/soft then get struts later, look at single adjustable (SA) struts to tune in your ride preference. You can also get spring/strut sets that are adjustable if you're concerned about ride stiffness/bounce. Coilovers imo are more for a race setup, someone who's unsure about ride height, or wanting to slam their ride...

i work 40 hours a week in sales hourly plus commision
i work Saturday's doing stereo work

i sell crack 24 /7

when i said money no object , i am not rich , but i will spend for what i want , within my needs

so i see coilovers for $700 and $ 2300

i do not want to spend $2300 for coilovers if $700 will do it

i do not race car, or drift, or autocross, or drag

so if the coil overs are adjustable i would probably adjust them on intial install thats it

so i want a lowered stance , good ride

i guess maybe the eibachs will do ??
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by sry110
Also, the common theme across most car enthusiast forums is that aftermarket springs + stock shocks = premature shock failure, so it should be avoided. If money is no object maybe a set of adjustable coilovers would be appropriate. That way you can adjust the dampening to get the ride closer to your liking, but you won't need to adjust the ride height if you prefer not to.

i had 2 civic si , 2000 year

i put eibachs springs on factory struts

i don't want to do that again

i want to pop out old and replace with new coilovers already assembled

thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM
playa6tnine

thanks
i had the same exact thing... civic with eibach's... mistake! poor ride quality, squeaks, problems.

my girl dropped her scion tc with Tein S tech springs about 3 months ago. it gave her a 2.4 inch drop in the front and a 2.0 inch drop in the back. ride quality is excellent, no squeaks, no camber kit, no problems.

i guess it just depends on the srpings and the car. i'm dropping my car with tein S tech springs only, just because its cheap enough to do and the drop is not major. if i run into any major problems i will get coilovers.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

thanks
Yeah I definitely hear you on that one...I put H&R springs on the stock shocks in my previous car (Mazda6) and that installation is a pain in the ***, unless you have a nice spring compressor and don't have to crank them down by hand. It's much nicer to just swap out the entire spring+shock assembly and not have to mess with compressing and decompressing the springs.

If your plan is to buy, for example, tockico shocks and eibach springs to creat your own 'coilover' setup, would you be assembling the springs onto the shocks yourself, or would you find a vendor who marries the two together before shipping? I'm curious about that because if you can find a place who does that for you, I would also consider giving them my business.

I'm in the same boat...I want a lower stance for aesthetic purposes primarily, and I don't need all the adjustability that you pay thousands for in a true coilover kit....aftermarket shocks and springs will probably cut it for me.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
mavtais

How about Swift? I got pics and review written here:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/231140-swift-sport-mach-springs-just-installed.html
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tein Basics---> $800, ride height adjustable. Not preload adjustable but thats likely good for you and you can adjust the dampening....
Old 12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1...get some tein basics & spc camber kit and call it a day. if you want later get some nismo or hotchkis sways. Me personally I don't know if I want TEIN Comfort Sports, JIC FLTA-2, or KW coilovers...decisions decisions. Thats the fun part about this hobby. GL
Old 12-13-2006, 05:22 AM
350zspl
Banned

Default lowering an 06

Originally Posted by playa6tnine
i had the same exact thing... civic with eibach's... mistake! poor ride quality, squeaks, problems.

my girl dropped her scion tc with Tein S tech springs about 3 months ago. it gave her a 2.4 inch drop in the front and a 2.0 inch drop in the back. ride quality is excellent, no squeaks, no camber kit, no problems.

i guess it just depends on the srpings and the car. i'm dropping my car with tein S tech springs only, just because its cheap enough to do and the drop is not major. if i run into any major problems i will get coilovers.

i just think that the factory struts are made to work properly at the factory height

i think by useing a lowering spring on factory struts you will not get the best results from that strut

better to use a coilover , were spring and strut are designed to work together at lowered stance

Last edited by 350zspl; 12-13-2006 at 05:23 AM. Reason: o
Old 12-13-2006, 05:25 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by sry110
Yeah I definitely hear you on that one...I put H&R springs on the stock shocks in my previous car (Mazda6) and that installation is a pain in the ***, unless you have a nice spring compressor and don't have to crank them down by hand. It's much nicer to just swap out the entire spring+shock assembly and not have to mess with compressing and decompressing the springs.

If your plan is to buy, for example, tockico shocks and eibach springs to creat your own 'coilover' setup, would you be assembling the springs onto the shocks yourself, or would you find a vendor who marries the two together before shipping? I'm curious about that because if you can find a place who does that for you, I would also consider giving them my business.

I'm in the same boat...I want a lower stance for aesthetic purposes primarily, and I don't need all the adjustability that you pay thousands for in a true coilover kit....aftermarket shocks and springs will probably cut it for me.

i got a place up the road that does it , and has the machine to compress

but i do all this work myself in my garage and i would rather swap parts not manipulate things to fit
Old 12-13-2006, 05:28 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by mavtais
How about Swift? I got pics and review written here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231140

appreciated

trying to get a coil over set up

not springs

and a basic coil over set up not to crazy
Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
Tein Basics---> $800, ride height adjustable. Not preload adjustable but thats likely good for you and you can adjust the dampening....

that sounds good

i am now seeing that the less expensive coil over set ups can be had for $750 to $1000

so setting $1000 shipped to my door as the figure i feel is good for my needs this Tein basic coil over kit is a consideration

your feelings comparing

Tein Basics $800
Megan Racing Coil overs $900
tanabe sustec pro s-oc type 2 $889
tokico d spec coil overs $799
eibach performance coil over kit pro street s high performance tuned $ 999

i think i will be using hotchkis front and rear red sway bars with poly bush and the 3 or 4 mounting positions to adjust for sway bar stiffness

just need to make final coil over decision cause i want to place order and have installed before my volks come

thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Citrus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tein Basics DO NOT come with top mounts in the front and you will need to take apart your factory spring/shocks to reuse the top mount. If you want to swap only, make sure you get a set of coilovers that have top mounts included. Megan and Tanabe's coilovers have the top mounts included, can't say for sure on Tokico or Eibach as I've never seen 'em unassembled. Most spring/shock combos cannot be preassembled because they do not include the front top mounts. What you could do, however, is pick up a set of used front shocks and take the top mounts off them.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck

Quick Reply: 06 lowering