Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension or Wheel mod which should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 06:50 PM
koolzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension or Wheel mod which should I choose?

I was originally determined to install some 18" Gunmetal LE37T's but after reading about the feathering problem (and the possiblity that the suspension may be the culprit) and the fact that I, and my passangers, are sick of the bouncing jostling ride on some portions of South I-35 I'm thinking of installing the S-Tune Suspension first.

I was quoted an installation fee of 418 dollars! The shop said it would take full day to install the sway bars and suspension because they wanted to take it slow and make sure they don't break something (Cha-Ching).

Does that sound like an extremely high price to pay for an installion of some Shocks and Sway Bars? The bars and shocks are over 1700 bucks and the installation put it at about the same price as a set of Rays would run (not to mention 250 per tire

If the stock suspension causes the tires to wear out then slapping some expensive Toyo rubber on some Rays every 6,000 miles would become very pricey. I wonder if the risk of trying the suspension to correct the problem would be worth it or the increase in performance? Can someone who has installed the suspension tell me their impressions? Would it be money well spent?

Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by koolzero; 03-24-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:08 PM
3rdpower

That sounds awefully high... You could probably do it yourself Don't be scurred!
Old 03-24-2003, 07:42 PM
koolzero

Wouldn't I need a lift to install the Sway bars?
Old 03-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Rob Nance

Wheel mod, the Z is plenty stiff and low from the factory. I've been thinking about why RodH's car looks lowered, and I've realized why. Getting offsets that put the tires/rims flush with the lip of the wheel well gives an illusion of a smaller gap. When the wheels are tucked under a little, they appear to be further away, and they are, since the wheel well is taller inside. I have decided I'll never be lowering my car or messing with the suspension (short of sway bars) for this reason.