Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover Recommendation (Recent Tein Flex Owners?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
they do not include pillowball mounts, nor do they offer them - they reuse the stocker rubber upper mounts.

I've had both pillows and non in my own car (had Cusco with pillow and without and the HKS have them) - since camber is not adjustable at the pillow on this car in the first place, its by no means an essential must have thing IMHO, especially for a more street oriented car
What type of drop are you getting out of your RS's?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 AM
636Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

silkroad rm/a8

It isnt so hyped up like Tein or JIC, and IMO and experiences...the rm/a8 performs way better.

I was afraid of how they springs would affect street driving. Come to find, they're pretty street friendly at 10kg in front and 8kg in the rear, both rates are linear rates. All I have to do is bump up the preload some mm and tighten up the damping a couple clicks when I hit the track.

KW on the other hand, I've had experience with them in Porsches. They're very tight, and predictable. I drove 3 - 911, only two of them had KW and the other had H&R. The KW equiped cars were awsome, we noticed more fatigue in the H&R equipped car after long heats.

I hear stance is pretty good too. But I have yet to drive a car equipped with them. I hear even with their agressive spring rates, they're pretty good on the street. But for the track enthusiast...that doesnt really matter, does it?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:41 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by 636Racer
silkroad rm/a8

It isnt so hyped up like Tein or JIC, and IMO and experiences...the rm/a8 performs way better.

I was afraid of how they springs would affect street driving. Come to find, they're pretty street friendly at 10kg in front and 8kg in the rear, both rates are linear rates. All I have to do is bump up the preload some mm and tighten up the damping a couple clicks when I hit the track.

KW on the other hand, I've had experience with them in Porsches. They're very tight, and predictable. I drove 3 - 911, only two of them had KW and the other had H&R. The KW equiped cars were awsome, we noticed more fatigue in the H&R equipped car after long heats.

I hear stance is pretty good too. But I have yet to drive a car equipped with them. I hear even with their agressive spring rates, they're pretty good on the street. But for the track enthusiast...that doesnt really matter, does it?
Ive done some research on this coilover and I have found that it has the exacty same spring rates and overall basic design as the Zeal function V6. This makes me wounder how similiar they really are. Could be a VERY good option for a fraction of the price of the Zeal's.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 AM
636Racer

Originally Posted by thawk408
Ive done some research on this coilover and I have found that it has the exacty same spring rates and overall basic design as the Zeal function V6. This makes me wounder how similiar they really are. Could be a VERY good option for a fraction of the price of the Zeal's.
Which coilover are you refering to?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

I believe yours? The silkroads.. Btw they are true coilovers in the rear correct? eliminating the need for the lower spring bucket (stock spring location, similar to the Stance setup)?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 AM
636Racer

no, they're similar to stock. where height adjustment is still on the shock body and preload adjustment is above the spring in the stock location.

You can convert them to the conventional coilover as well. just specify the spring rate, and order extra locking collars and spring seats.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Flex adjustment range is so-so - not the greatest span IMHO

I am at 25.5 inches center line of fender well to pavement both front and rear on my RS

Have not tried the SilkRoads - sort of a west coast thing it seems with the 240 crowd
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM
636Racer

yah...there are a handful of drifters w/240s here that have them.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by 636Racer
Which coilover are you refering to?
Yours
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

As of right now, i contacted a couple of local vendors and vendors on the site whether or not they can order a set of KW's or RS's. In all honesty i'm close to just saying F*** it and buy a set of tein basics...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
As of right now, i contacted a couple of local vendors and vendors on the site whether or not they can order a set of KW's or RS's. In all honesty i'm close to just saying F*** it and buy a set of tein basics...
Call that vender in the link i posted. Very nice people and gave me the best price around on the Variant 3.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

sounds like you're talking to the wrong people then

The HKS are not in stock with us at the moment - I'd have to see if HKS had any.

KW for the Z ship direct from Germany or KW's west coast office to the customer, depending where they are in stock - I doubt anyone sells them lower than we do, as we sell a large amount for Subaru and Evo's, and as such, our discount structure is more favorable than most. From Cali takes about a week, from Germany, between 3-10 days depending on inventory levels, etc.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Hey Z1, could i get a price quote then for the KW's shipped to 08648? I got a couple of price quotes from other vendors that's pretty cheap..

Also will i be able to order them from you with Linear springs? Will they have a price differance? Better off with Swift springs?

Tein Flex with custom springs a better idea?

Again thanks for all the help guys..
-Steve
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes they can be ordered with linear springs - linear springs cost around $100 or $120 per pair (have to double check what they are for the Z). These springs are supplied in addition to the progressive ones, they are not in substitution of. For more customized setups, they offer the race line which start at around the $3k range MSRP and go from there, and are a totally soup to nuts custom set based on your input. We do not offer Swift springs; KW supplies the linear springs directly. Personally, I would not bother upgrading to the linear springs until you spent some time with their out of the box setup, learned to use the various adjustments they provide, etc. At that point, you'll have a first hand knowledge base for what, if any, "wishes" you have, and you'll be in a more directly equipped position to decide what linear rates to get. Doing it before hand is nothing short of a guessing game that can get both expensive and time consuming.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-29-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Good point, ill have to try it out...

Price for a set of the KW's?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Yes they can be ordered with linear springs - linear springs cost around $100 or $120 per pair (have to double check what they are for the Z). These springs are supplied in addition to the progressive ones, they are not in substitution of. For more customized setups, they offer the race line which start at around the $3k range MSRP and go from there, and are a totally soup to nuts custom set based on your input. We do not offer Swift springs; KW supplies the linear springs directly. Personally, I would not bother upgrading to the linear springs until you spent some time with their out of the box setup, learned to use the various adjustments they provide, etc. At that point, you'll have a first hand knowledge base for what, if any, "wishes" you have, and you'll be in a more directly equipped position to decide what linear rates to get. Doing it before hand is nothing short of a guessing game that can get both expensive and time consuming.

Adam, I want to chime in with a few points.

One, the front setup has a very small rate spread, only 35lbs. And that 35lbs, the front springs don't change rate with coil bind, so no sudden rate change. They are progressive because of how they change outside diameter top to bottom. Secondly, in order to have a true linear setup, KW would have to have a upper mount that will accept 65mm ID springs, not sure KW has such a upper mount or if they do that the cost could be justified, but that cost isn't for me to judge I know.

Secondly, looking at the rear springs, they use a wound coil that also changes diameter top to bottom, but vs the fronts the change is much more dramatic, hence the rear much more pronounced rate spread. Looks like 2.5" at the top to 5" at the bottom. Looks like the bottom of the spring is wound to sit in the oem location in the trailing arm the same way as the oem spring does. If that's the case, KW would have to have a lower perch that sit's in the oem location with the ablity to mount a 65mm ID spring. Thing is, in the pictures in the following thread, I cannot see how the rear spring looks or mounts to the lower suspension.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....w%2A+coilovers

In conclusion, I don't see the point in changing the fronts for such a small rate change that can't ever change suddenly by coil bind. Though in the rear, given the large swing in rate, that one I can see changing.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

agreed - and actually, they are not even supplying the V3's with alternate rates anymore. For a more customized setup built to user specs, they have a competition line of coilovers. For other cars, they also offer a Clubsport version as well (which use a linear spring), but not sure if they are doing those for the Z yet.

G35 - have you had a chance to go for a ride in a KW equipped car? Let me know where you're located, maybe I can arrange a ride for you. They have really worked out well for us so far, and if I had to do mine over again, these, Zeal or Ohlins would be on the short list.

Enjoy the New Years !!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Hey Adam, did you get a chance to drive/ride in the Stance equipped Z yet?

Insight in to other possible coilovers? I've seen quite of other choices, and at this point im open to everything. Cusco 1&2's, Ksport Pro, Greddy type-S, Eibach Pro-Street, H&R Street Performance, Tanabe Sustec Pro-Seven, and even Zeals to name a few, on top of my other selections.

Last edited by Vq.turbo.DremZ; 12-31-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Jokestrap

I never hear anyone talk about the Greddy Type S Coilovers. SGP asked me to try them and I have had them for a 8 months and I love them. They are very adjustable and the ride is very close to stock with the right dampening adjustment. Then, with the turn of the ****, they get pretty aggressive. I highly recommend them. That's my $.02.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no I have not had a chance yet - we;re a bit out east on LI and the one customer I know with them is in Queens so it's a matter of catching up at a meet or something. The one thing I do not like about them from a design standpoint is the rear does away with the standard spring location - there is alot involved in making that work correctly, and as such, I prefer to not reinvent the wheel and stick to how Nissan set the geometry up in the first place.

The Greddy's are quite nice, albeit a tad stiff. We've got a set going into Kwame's Z along with a whole host of stuff - look for a full write up once it's all complete, as we've got a large part of the shop with just his mods stacked up, ready to go on

Zeals are awesome, and we are the authorized dealer for the tri state area. Based on your initial posts I did not include them in my recommendations, as they are substantially more expensive than any of the others discussed so far (in the high $2k range)

Quick Reply: Coilover Recommendation (Recent Tein Flex Owners?)