Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

NEW - Stance 3-way Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
drumma022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW - Stance 3-way Coilovers

Stance finally released the new 3-way adjustable coilovers with external reservoir! A set just arrived at our shop so hopefully I can install them within the next week with a review and full comparison to the KW Variant 3 that I currently have on the car.

The new Stance features quick dry break disconnect fittings to make installation a breeze. (There will be a very small amount of gas that will be released when disconnecting it, so I will make sure I find a mounting spot before connecting it together.)

I just need to find some time to do the install and find the right place to mount the reservoirs. The High Speed Rebound is 4-way adj with the black **** on the reservoir and the low speed rebound is 15-way adj using the small ****.

More info to come during install!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 PM
skidmarq

Do you know what the MSRP will be on those?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
drumma022

Currently set to $1995, but I am sure there will be decent discounts as an introductory price.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM
twenzel

Can existing Stance owners buy just the external resevoirs? Would there be any benefit?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
skidmarq

+1, I guess I need to stay tuned because I'm uncertain about how these will work...

I'm also an existing Stance user...
Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Auto RnD

Nope you can't add the ext res. Props on getting them so quick. you guys are 2 fast. lolz.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
daytona350z

spring rates?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
drumma022

Correct - the spring rates remain the same, but I may order a set of 616 and 336 rates to test out. It all depends on how the ADJ compression changes the way the car will handle. I expect to be very pleased with the rates they provide and the ADJ compression so I have not ordered the other rates.

I have actually managed to mix-up which reservoir goes to which. Provided that they MAY have different internals from front to rear, I am going to contact them and find out at the end of the week.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
sen_jen

fawk. someone buy my current Stance. i want to upgrade to these. kthx!

wait, nevermind. i'm gonna sell this "civic" of mine, lol.

btw, i'd like to add......i love these coilovers.

Last edited by sen_jen; 01-11-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 AM
spratocaster

These look like they just might fit the bill for me. Though I am a bit nervous about changing the rear from the stock spring location to an outboard location. I guess I am mainly concerned about strength, I autox and track the car, so I really abuse the suspension. Are people tracking this configuration without incident? Also, you mentioned you can adjust high and low speed rebound from the resevoir, can you also adjust compression from the resevoir as well?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 AM
drumma022

*high-/low-speed compression plus rebound*

The rebound adjustment is still mounted on the top of the stock. I am still trying to get Stance to make the EDFC work with this design or even have the flexible shaft to reach in to adjust the rebound.

I have done some practice at an autocross track with the STance coilovers, and even think that some of the huge highway transitions and potholes are just as abusive as most tracks would pose.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribing for pics and results.......
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in for the review as well... keep us posted drumma
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Interesting...

Question is...have they resolved the annoying noise coming from the rear that everyones been having w/ the previous version?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM
drumma022

The odd part is that I have never heard the noise when I had the set in my car but when Steve installed the same set into his car, he had the noise. Even in the very first prototype set I had, I did not hear anything out of the ordinary.

I have never personally heard it so I cannot really diagnose it well.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by drumma022
The odd part is that I have never heard the noise when I had the set in my car but when Steve installed the same set into his car, he had the noise. Even in the very first prototype set I had, I did not hear anything out of the ordinary.

I have never personally heard it so I cannot really diagnose it well.
Yeah, it's a strange thing. I know a few people that don't have noise & others that do. Mine is on and off but it does get really loud at time where I'd need to retighten everything. Sometimes it resolves it & sometimes it doesn't. That's my only issue with these coilovers. Other than that, I love how they feel on the road.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
sen_jen

have you tried applying grease/lube where the spring meets the pillow mount? that may help.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by sen_jen
have you tried applying grease/lube where the spring meets the pillow mount? that may help.
Yes, it does help a bit but it doesn't actually fix the problem which is what I'm looking for. Plus the noise (at its worse) sounds like the entire coilover is falling apart even though everything is nice and tight. First time I heard it, sounded like the top mount came loose but it wasn't. Hence why I'm looking for a fix/replacement.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
myG35zx

Did you check the sway bar brackets (the ones securing the bar to the chassis)? Ihad a similar "thunk" and the brackets had loosened enough to cuae the noise. The noise was not always present, but once I tighted up the brackets the noise disappeared.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:13 PM
twenzel

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Yes, it does help a bit but it doesn't actually fix the problem which is what I'm looking for. Plus the noise (at its worse) sounds like the entire coilover is falling apart even though everything is nice and tight. First time I heard it, sounded like the top mount came loose but it wasn't. Hence why I'm looking for a fix/replacement.
It actually has nothing to do with the coilover but actually its the lower mount of the coilover on the spindle. Since all the weight is on that tiny little bushing it wears very quickly. Once its worn the center bolt is hitting the housing of the bushing on the spindle under compression. That is what makes this noise that everyone hears.

I've confirmed this with a few other members including Alex Pfeifer at BattleVersion who developed the replacement LCAs that delete the stock spring cup.

I tried Buddy club coilovers which are also single type in the rear and they also made the same noise. I tried the factory suspension again and the noise went away. Then I put the Stance on and the noise was back. Any single type coilover is going to make this noise eventually. I just think we see more complaints on the Stance because its the most commonly used true coilover setup available.

The only solution to it is to replace that weak rubber bushing with something like a metal bushing or poly-urethane. Someone else on the forum (SPL parts i think) mentioned doing that might put more stress on the spindle itself and recommended reinforcing that.

PS. Side by side Stance and Buddy Club look to be the exact same thing down to brake line mounting brackets.

Quick Reply: NEW - Stance 3-way Coilovers