Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running out of ideas but I don't know much anyway HA.

Are those Potenzas on the rear the stock 50 series 17's or were they switched to a 45 series at some point?

Reason I ask is that side wall looks close to what my stock 245/45/18's looked like. The sidewall height looks like it could be a 45 series but I can't read the sidewall markings and it's hard to tell from a pic. If they were 45 series that would give you 1/2" more gap than the 50 series and would help explain it.

I agree with you, that it doesn't look much if at all diff than stock ride height.

On second thought those do look kinda like 50 series.

Last edited by Chad68; 01-14-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:52 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car sitting on a flat, level surface when you're taking these measurements? It looks like it is, from the pics, but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Is it possible that the rear springs got installed on the front, and vice versa?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68
I agree with you, that it doesn't look much if at all diff than stock ride height.

On second thought those do look kinda like 50 series.
Thanks Chad, yep they're the stockers in all their 50 series glory.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by GaryM05
Is your car sitting on a flat, level surface when you're taking these measurements? It looks like it is, from the pics, but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Is it possible that the rear springs got installed on the front, and vice versa?
Good thoughts...the floor slopes out toward the door opening, so if anything weight would transfer to the rear. The rear and front springs are different sizes so that isn't possible(thankfully):

I'm going to call Hotchkis today and see if they have any thoughts. Maybe I was shipped the wrong springs?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
350Zenophile

Thumbs up Update:

Looks like Hotchkis produced a bad lot of springs! Confirmed this as they were installing some on a 350Z today when I called and the car didn't sit lower at all when they were done. They will be sending me new springs after they produce a new batch and are tested.

I'm relieved that I'm not going crazy but a little annoyed that I will have to install a second time. Since it's just the rears, I will attempt myself this time to save a dime.

Bottom line: Hotchkis is a stand up company taking care of the problem. If you have purchased Hotchkis recently and haven't installed yet, might want to give them a call first to check to see if yours came from the bad lot. Have the # stamped on the spring ready to give them.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Looks like Hotchkis produced a bad lot of springs! Confirmed this as they were installing some on a 350Z today when I called and the car didn't sit lower at all when they were done. They will be sending me new springs after they produce a new batch and are tested.

I'm relieved that I'm not going crazy but a little annoyed that I will have to install a second time. Since it's just the rears, I will attempt myself this time to save a dime.

Bottom line: Hotchkis is a stand up company taking care of the problem. If you have purchased Hotchkis recently and haven't installed yet, might want to give them a call first to check to see if yours came from the bad lot. Have the # stamped on the spring ready to give them.
Wow... Thats good info.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^What da hell? I've been waiting for my springs to come in, I hope they are not the bad batch! I'm going to contact intense and ask them about it. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
BhashaZ

Yes Hotchkis is a great company. I had some similar issues and I went down to their office. Great people there. John Hotchkis even came out of his office personally to make sure somebody was helping me.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Yes Hotchkis is a great company. I had some similar issues and I went down to their office. Great people there. John Hotchkis even came out of his office personally to make sure somebody was helping me.
When did you go? And where's their office located?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
BhashaZ

I went like August/September 2005. Their office is in Santa Fe Springs I think.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
I went like August/September 2005. Their office is in Santa Fe Springs I think.
Did anyone else order the TVS 1 kit lately? I hope they ship the right springs...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:04 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
^What da hell? I've been waiting for my springs to come in, I hope they are not the bad batch! I'm going to contact intense and ask them about it. Thanks for the info!
Intense won't be able to help b/c Hotchkis doesn't even know the full details yet. All I ask is that anyone who might be affected please be patient with the process and let them resolve it as it will take at least a week or two. I don't want to be known as the "internet guy that caused all the problems" before my own issue gets resolved.

I hesitated making this post for that reason, but figured there could be others that are saved the install trouble/cost I incurred by knowing before hand.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I emailed Mark, the Sales Manager at Hotchkis about this issue this morning. Waiting for a reply. I'll post up when more info is provided to me today.

Darren.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP-wow crazy turn of events, but nice to see them take care of you. Looking forward to Darrens update as I was going to sell the JIC FLTA2's for this set-up...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Hello,

I emailed Mark, the Sales Manager at Hotchkis about this issue this morning. Waiting for a reply. I'll post up when more info is provided to me today.

Darren.
Thanks Darren. Drew has been my contact and very responsive...I'll keep this thread updated as my issue is resolved.

Originally Posted by Alberto
OP-wow crazy turn of events, but nice to see them take care of you. Looking forward to Darrens update as I was going to sell the JIC FLTA2's for this set-up...
I have bad luck when it comes to doing mods for some reason...I can tell you some stories. But I still love it, so I continue undeterred.

Why the switch from coilovers? ride comfort?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hello,

All good. Drew's great, and I'm sure this issue will be resolved quickly. I posted because bugsbbunny (Jason) PM'd me, and also referenced my name in this thread. We have sold, and sell tons of these kits, so it's in our best interest to determine the solution/problem as well. Thanks.

Darren.

Edit: The reply from Mark at Hotchkis:

Darren,
Just yesterday it was brought to my attention that there may be a ride height issue on the rear springs for the 350Z. I have not had sufficient time to address it with engineering to determine, how, why, and how many vehicles would be affected. We have already had a 2006 in our shop for weights and measurements. Of course any customers with pending orders will be ensured that we will do 100% inspection before leaving. I will need to research and determine if there may be any affected cars already in the market place. Please let me know what forum this was being discussed on so we can address it there once the facts have been determined. In addition anyone inquiring about springs they may have that have not yet been installed, can contact us directly for determination of product condition.

Thanks,

Mark Rossetti
Sales Manager

Last edited by INTENSEPOWER; 01-16-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good response, but didnt really help me. I think I'll wait a while. Thanks Darren!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:02 PM
350zjanet

Thumbs up

Hey you guys! So I spent the yesterday day and today at the Hotchkis office in Santa Fe Springs with all the guys. Saw them fix & take details on the new corrections done to the springs. I have to say, that I am VERY pleased with everyone there at Hotchkis. Drew was exceptional with his Customer Service skills and their chief Mechanic Cory help me out with all the questions I had. Even John Hotchkis personally made sure that I was happy with the springs and was very welcoming with everything. I'll make sure to post pix as soon as I save them on here..but One thing is for sure...I will ALWAYS do business with a company like them. They went above and beyond in making sure that i was pleased! Thanks Drew, Cory, and John!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by 350zjanet
Hey you guys! So I spent the yesterday day and today at the Hotchkis office in Santa Fe Springs with all the guys. Saw them fix & take details on the new corrections done to the springs. I have to say, that I am VERY pleased with everyone there at Hotchkis. Drew was exceptional with his Customer Service skills and their chief Mechanic Cory help me out with all the questions I had. Even John Hotchkis personally made sure that I was happy with the springs and was very welcoming with everything. I'll make sure to post pix as soon as I save them on here..but One thing is for sure...I will ALWAYS do business with a company like them. They went above and beyond in making sure that i was pleased! Thanks Drew, Cory, and John!
Who are heck are you? I should have received the first set of new springs since I've been waiting the longest and found the problem for them! Not cool

Quick Reply: Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?