Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM
twinship

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
I hate to be a skeptic, but somehow I doubt that my 2006 on Hotchkis is going to look as low and aggressive as the pre-2006 in that photo. I feel as though I am setting myself up for disappointment and money wasted, but I guess that all remains to be seen.
The Hotchkis setup isn't intended for maximum drop... don't believe you'll get the effect in that photo. But don't think of it as wasted $$$.

I'm having mine installed on Thursday. My goal is less bounce in the rear, flatter cornering, and a slight drop. It'll be money well spent if I get that result.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by twinship
The Hotchkis setup isn't intended for maximum drop... don't believe you'll get the effect in that photo. But don't think of it as wasted $$$.

I'm having mine installed on Thursday. My goal is less bounce in the rear, flatter cornering, and a slight drop. It'll be money well spent if I get that result.
Yeah I understand that Hotchkis is a mild drop relative to other available lowering springs, but I guess I'm not sure how Hotchkis can post that picture on their site next to the description of their Sport Coil Springs when their springs definitely don't lower the car to that degree. I'm not expecting to get that much of a drop, but my primary goal for getting these springs is so that my new 19" wheels don't look stupid when I put them on the car due to excessive wheel gap in the rear. Some wheel gap is ok, but the stock height just won't do. Performance improvements are secondary for me (I'll admit it )
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ dude, you are relying on that one picture way too much. Just judging by the exposed rim width on those GT-7s, they are probably 10.5s with some very aggressive offsets which are contributing to the look of the wheel well being filled more. If you zoom in it looks like they even had to roll the fenders to accomodate the width/offset. If I took a picture of my car right now, you'd see a comparatively huge gap b/c I've got the stock 17s on still.

Twinship, you will be happy. Zero bounce in the rear. I really think Hotchkis got it right going against the grain with a lower spring rate in the rear. The stock shocks are able to control the motion very well, even though they are probably being a bit overworked.

I drove over a familiar bump while accelerating and the rear never lost traction. On my stock springs the TCS would always kick-on going over that same bump.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
^ dude, you are relying on that one picture way too much. Just judging by the exposed rim width on those GT-7s, they are probably 10.5s with some very aggressive offsets which are contributing to the look of the wheel well being filled more. If you zoom in it looks like they even had to roll the fenders to accomodate the width/offset. If I took a picture of my car right now, you'd see a comparatively huge gap b/c I've got the stock 17s on still.

Twinship, you will be happy. Zero bounce in the rear. I really think Hotchkis got it right going against the grain with a lower spring rate in the rear. The stock shocks are able to control the motion very well, even though they are probably being a bit overworked.

I drove over a familiar bump while accelerating and the rear never lost traction. On my stock springs the TCS would always kick-on going over that same bump.

LOL yeah I know I know. I will be running 19x10" +25 with 275/35 tires so hopefully it will fill in nicely. We shall see!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM
sry110

Alright guys, had my Hotchkis springs installed today. I saw an instant difference and so far I am very happy! I am on winter wheels/tires so that throws it off a bit aesthetically, but here are before and after pictures:

Before:

After (only a few hours and a short drive after installation):

The passenger side sits slightly lower than the driver side, but I also noticed this was the case when the stock springs were on. I don't think I'll worry about it too much...I doubt most people would unless they were looking for it:

Also these tires are slightly smaller in diameter than what I will be putting on there, so my summer setup should have equal fender gap or less. Also the summer setup is wider and lower offset so the wheel wells should fill in nicely. I guess my skepticism regarding the springs was for nought : )

Anyway, happy to report that it looks like Hotchkis did a great job correcting the problem!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Steve!!!

Hellzyes! Man, I know how much concern you had considering that I had to ask the mods here for more PM space!!! Lol, j/j! Good news.

Darren(wonders what the white stuff is surrounding the parking lot )
Old 02-28-2007, 05:00 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Steve!!!

Hellzyes! Man, I know how much concern you had considering that I had to ask the mods here for more PM space!!! Lol, j/j! Good news.

Darren(wonders what the white stuff is surrounding the parking lot )
Yep gotta give props to Darren @ Intense, he put up with all my worrying right up until the day I got them installed Thanks again mang.

Steve (crosses his fingers for a freak snow storm in Arizona....)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:40 PM
ANXIOUZ

FWIW, here are well used Hotchkis springs on an 03 in case anyone wants a look at how they've settled after many miles. It's kinda tough to see with a black car and crappy camera, but here goes.

Tires
F: 245/40-18
R: 275/40-18
Attached Thumbnails Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-hotchkis-003-sm-2.jpg   Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-hotchkis-004-sm-2.jpg   Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-hotchkis-005-sm.jpg  
Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 AM
6894kevin

Ok. Don't kill me if this is wrong, cause the only car i have ever driven with spring kit was chit.

If i order the full kit with sway-bars and springs will the ride be bouncy and rough, My buddy who is a mechanic for ford said that any aftermarket spring setup would ruin my ride quality? Now i have been in lowered honda's and mustangs and they rode for crap. I don't want to get the hotchkis kit if it's going to make the regular ride worse then normal, but i would like the kit for some spirited driving or maybe even a track day hear and there. This would be my first mod as well and i would like as much advice on the subject as i can get. BTW this kit makes the car sit so sweet i just want it to be done right

Cheers

Kevin
Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6894kevin
I don't want to get the hotchkis kit if it's going to make the regular ride worse then normal, but i would like the kit for some spirited driving or maybe even a track day hear and there.
This is a very mild drop for the Z and the spring rates are not aggressive, so ride quality is good but will be compromised in some cases since suspension travel has been limited. I think you get used it and in some cases, I think it even took the harshness away from small bumps.

Now on to your reasoning...contrary to what many may tell you, you don't need to spend a dime on this car initially to take it on some spirited drives or even the occasional HPDE. As you begin to drive harder at these events you'll find that you'd rather spend that money on brakes or tires first.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 AM
6894kevin

You make a good point.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Kevin
Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 AM
sry110

From my limited experience (1 day) driving with the Hotckis springs installed, the ride does not feel much different to me than it did with the stock springs. I do not have the full TVS1 kit with the front and rear sway bars so I can't comment on that, but I'm very happy with the ride quality!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 AM
ANXIOUZ

The Hotchkis springs barely make a difference on ride quality. It's a tad firmer up front but the springs have been on my car for several months now and my wife hasn't noticed.

What you will notice is that there is much less body roll up front when taking hard turns. It's much improved over stock.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:53 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hello,

Something that hasn't been mentioned:

If these springs resulted in such an awful ride quality, it would be well documented in multiple threads. Forums are a breeding ground for negativity, more so than one of positivity. Anywayz, it's great to see an outcome to this issue that sides on the side of quick and majority held acceptance.

My 2 yen...

D.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
FWIW, here are well used Hotchkis springs on an 03 in case anyone wants a look at how they've settled after many miles. It's kinda tough to see with a black car and crappy camera, but here goes.

Tires
F: 245/40-18
R: 275/40-18

what's your offsets??? i want to get this kit but worried i would have to roll my fenders????
Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
PORTUGEE

Heres pics of mine with the bad batch and then the replacements. Ride has improved with the new springs, less bounce.
Attached Thumbnails Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-rear-right.jpg   Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-springs-010.jpg   Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-springs-023.jpg   Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?-springs-027.jpg  
Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by PORTUGEE
Heres pics of mine with the bad batch and then the replacements. Ride has improved with the new springs, less bounce.
Are you running 30 series tires on your rears?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:22 AM
PORTUGEE

I'm runnin 275 35 19's in the rear and 245 35 19's in the front.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by idwin
what's your offsets??? i want to get this kit but worried i would have to roll my fenders????
I'm afraid I don't know my offsets...the wheel were on the car when I got it and I've never checked. If you have 18" wheels then I don't see how these can springs can be a problem regardless of offset though. They really don't drop the car all that much. It's a safe mild drop.

(I got your PM...forgot to check the rim widths last night. )
Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 AM
2005daytonaZ

Installed mine about two weeks ago, which I got from Intense (thanks again Darren BTW). Everything went smooth and the drop is deff. noticable. Still on stock 17's and ridin dirty since all this snow and salt on the roads melting so no pics yet. Everything is just about settled down and I'm hoping to get an alignment soon.

Overall my impression is great for the TVS1 package. The car is deff. a lot more stiff around corners with HUGE improvements on body roll. And the overall ride quality hasn't changed much at all from stock. I would recomend this kit to anyone interested in a mild drop and sway bars.

Quick Reply: Why is the rear not lower w/Hotchkis springs?