Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New brake install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brake install

I had my OEM rotors machined at the local brake shop, and installed new Hawk HPS pads. Went out and did the 'break in' or bedding of the pads. The car now has much less initial bite, and the pedal seems to get soft a lot faster. Should I just wait for them to break in longer? In the past I have only completely overhauled a brake system with new rotors, pads, lines and fluid, and the benefit was quite immediate. Anyone have this happen to them? TIA
Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 PM
cubu

some have said that hps pads have less initial bite than stock
Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think if you dig through some of the old threads on brake pads you'll find that is a common complaint about the HPS pads. Especially when cold or wet. They are real common replacements for the stock pads because of the low dust levels, but based on what I'd read, I passed on the Hawks.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I think if you dig through some of the old threads on brake pads you'll find that is a common complaint about the HPS pads. Especially when cold or wet. They are real common replacements for the stock pads because of the low dust levels, but based on what I'd read, I passed on the Hawks.
Dave,

What did you end up going with Endless? which ones? I am about ready to change my pads and I am looking at doing pads and rotors together.

Thanks,
John
Old 03-25-2007, 04:38 PM
cubu

im in the market for new pads, no rotors for now cause i have extra pair of front rotors, the endless pads sound nice kinda pricey for atm, ill get them when i upgrade my rotors, ill be getting the project mu NS pads this week and hope they perform at least on par with the stock.... i just want less dust without sacrificing performance
Old 03-25-2007, 06:59 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Dave,

What did you end up going with Endless? which ones? I am about ready to change my pads and I am looking at doing pads and rotors together.

Thanks,
John
John - yes, I went with the Endless Super Street 'S' pads. They have a lot higher temperature range than most street pads. I've used them in several HPDEs and regular autocrosses and they've held up fine.

I did have one problem with them, but after realizing what was happening, it's easy to avoid. If you don't dry the pads/rotors after they get soaked by washing or driving through standing water, a rust and/or powder buildup will occur on the rotors. The stopping power of your brakes will be greatly reduced until you wear off that coating again. Now, after I wash my Z, I drive it around the block and do a couple hard stops to dry and clean the rotors and I don't have any problems with them anymore.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If you don't dry the pads/rotors after they get soaked by washing or driving through standing water, a rust and/or powder buildup will occur on the rotors. The stopping power of your brakes will be greatly reduced until you wear off that coating again. Now, after I wash my Z, I drive it around the block and do a couple hard stops to dry and clean the rotors and I don't have any problems with them anymore.
I have the same issue with my Project Mu B-Force pads. They seem to be great pads for street and track, minimal dusting, very little squealing(only notice it at very slow speeds such as parking) and held up fine at VIR Full.

I'll probably try the Nismo R-Tunes next just to check them out.