Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

OK, decision time... Big Brakes or lighter wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 03:53 AM
TampaBayNSX-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me, I'd have to go with the big brake upgrade over lighter wheels. There's alot to be said for having the confidence in knowing your middle peddle will be there for you whenever you need it. The worst feeling in the world is heading down to the safety pin turn at Sebring at 125+ and then realizing that you have a soft brake pedal...yikes! Also, if you get big brakes first, you'll know exactly what backspacing requirements you'll have when you do buy some track wheels. Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can really cut down on fade by installing a new set of pads, rotors, lines and fluid. It won't be zero, but there'll be a decent difference. Then I would invest in maybe SSR Comp's in an 18" format. The uber-brakes can come later. Good luck-
Old 04-18-2003, 10:37 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by droidekaus
Good points, Steve. I'm SEVERAL events away from even beginning to think about R compounds, but it doesn't hurt to get all of this **** figured out now instead of wasting money. I could easily go with 17s now that could fit Yoko A032Rs or ECSTA V700s, but I like the look of 18s for a daily driver.

Also, I'm not thinking lap times with regards to the lighter wheels. I was thinking less weight for the stock brakes to contend with if you use a 4x factor for unsprung weight. That'd be ~48 pounds in the front and ~32 in the rear. Even more if I go with 17s. I don't see myself on R compounds until next year. I'd like to own the car on street rubber before I notch it up.
remember that most 17's will not fit around the stoptech's (if you plan to get them eventually). The 17's would then become useless.

(I may be wrong!)
Old 05-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Blue Liquid

Brake fade mostly comes from inadequate pads, and OEM fluid. Put track dedicated pads in stock calipers, and run some good high boiling-point fluid and you'll eliminate 90% of your brake fade issues. Larger rotors are useful for full-on races, those people are skilled and go fast enough to need a larger heat-dissipating rotor to help them get through the race. Big 4 or 6 pot calipers help with initial bite, brake torque, etc., i.e. less pedal effort...