Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Negative Camber

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 05:37 PM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative Camber

How much negative camber is the 350Z supposed to have? Mine leans in about 3/4" more at the top than the bottom. Is this typical?
Attached Thumbnails Negative Camber-camber-1.jpg  
Old 04-22-2003, 05:38 PM
ZZtopp

Another shot
Attached Thumbnails Negative Camber-camber-2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2003, 05:39 PM
ZZtopp

Final shot
Attached Thumbnails Negative Camber-camber-3.jpg  
Old 04-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Stone Z

Mine has about the same as yours, but only in the rear.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:15 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good to see actually, i was concerned my suspension was bent cause mine is way off too, with the wide tread it now actually doesnt totally contact the road on the outside edge. you can see the dust on the inside, and none on the outer edge.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:25 PM
shaneotool

same here, at least that much.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:31 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by ares
good to see actually, i was concerned my suspension was bent cause mine is way off too, with the wide tread it now actually doesnt totally contact the road on the outside edge. you can see the dust on the inside, and none on the outer edge.
I was going to put wider rims and tires on, but it seems like the negative camber would be much more obvious and may look a little strange once the edges of the rear tires are more visible. I haven't really noticed this in all the photos of tire mods, though.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:39 PM
shaneotool

Originally posted by ZZtopp
I was going to put wider rims and tires on, but it seems like the negative camber would be much more obvious and may look a little strange once the edges of the rear tires are more visible. I haven't really noticed this in all the photos of tire mods, though.
I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if moving the camber back the other way a bit would hurt the car's handling. probably so.

I've started looking at other car's negative camber when I'm behind them in traffic after I noticed how mine looks - other cars don't seem to have it.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:48 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by shaneotool
I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if moving the camber back the other way a bit would hurt the car's handling. probably so.

I've started looking at other car's negative camber when I'm behind them in traffic after I noticed how mine looks - other cars don't seem to have it.
I never noticed it all on my Z06...and that car handled pretty damn well.

Now that I've noticed it, I can't stop looking at it. I'm surpised the suspension couldn't be set up to handle as well without this obvious visual flaw.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

mmmmmm - camber - droooolllll

One of the first things I noticed on my Z was the camber and when going around corners I love having it . I'm glad to see Nissan approves of running higher camber numbers since we're getting it from the factory. This saves me the hassle of bugging my alignment guy if I need to get the car serviced and having to go back to -1 to 0 camber as most cars spec from the factory.

For those of you who want to go straight faster, dial back some of the camber to get better straight line traction. In my several autoxs this year so far I've noticed that straight line traction isn't great and I'm sure for the drag racers out there a .05-.1 can be dropped 60 foot time just by getting the camber back.

With that being said, I'm glad it's there and designed into the vehicle .
Old 04-22-2003, 07:25 PM
lotus

Neg camber is ok. Too much neg camber can be bad for your tire life with everyday driving. If you look at a Posche from behind most have a very noticable neg camber. Neg camber helps the car corner at higher speeds. Most people that track alot run lower camber settings. On the Z I think the camber should be kept around/under -1.5 . The lowest I can drop my rear and keep camber close to that is about 1" . I would like to do another 1/2" so im shopping for camber rods.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:41 PM
2k3silver350z

i don't think 1.5 degrees is optimal as the nominal point for the car is actually .5. that extra 1 degree is going to really kill your tire life. i have the JIC setup as of right now. the car is getting lowered tomorrow but currently is on 275's on the rear with -.5 on camber. the car handles a lot better. it will not break traction if i go full throttle through a corner. it grips so much better this way. IMO this is a design flaw from nissan. after 1200 miles both my rear tires were worn out on the rears. i push my car hard but that was just break in time. i should take pics, you would be suprised as to how bad -1.5 can be for your tires.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:45 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ZZtopp
I never noticed it all on my Z06...and that car handled pretty damn well.

Now that I've noticed it, I can't stop looking at it. I'm surpised the suspension couldn't be set up to handle as well without this obvious visual flaw.
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because one person doesn't like it, does not mean that it is "an obvious visual flaw".

On the otherhand, reducing the camber (the absolute value of the camber) would tend to make the car oversteer a bit more, which might solve a different problem that some have complained about.

BTW, my car has the same "problem"

Another solution (better from a performance standpoint, but worse with respect to tire wear) would be adding more negative camber to the fronts to balance out the look and handling.

-D'oh!
Old 04-23-2003, 12:08 PM
lotus

i don't think 1.5 degrees is optimal as the nominal point for the car is actually .5. that extra 1 degree is going to really kill your tire life
I agree for normal driving max tire wear -.5 is most likely ideal. But to have a max of -1.5 is not unusual on alot of sports cars on the rear.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:56 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by D'oh
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because one person doesn't like it, does not mean that it is "an obvious visual flaw".

On the otherhand, reducing the camber (the absolute value of the camber) would tend to make the car oversteer a bit more, which might solve a different problem that some have complained about.

BTW, my car has the same "problem"

Another solution (better from a performance standpoint, but worse with respect to tire wear) would be adding more negative camber to the fronts to balance out the look and handling.

-D'oh!

If you appreciate the fact the your rear wheels look like something is wrong with them to most people (those who don't know or care what the hell negative camber is), then good luck to you. I appreciate how well my Z handles, and I'm not about to compromise that handling by changing the camber, but as I said, GM designed the Z06 to out handle almost anything without the "obvious visual flaw" that the suspension of the Z has.

By the way, my front wheels have almost as much negative camber as the rear......but thanks anyway for the suggestion.