Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Fairlady22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stance Issue

Hello Everyone,

I know there have been several threads about the STANCE but I would like to address this issue maybe someone can help.

I purchased my STANCE setup about a year ago and just recently when I put my stock wheels back on and lowered the suspension a bit, on the rear right side everytime I hit a bump or go over a sligt bump I hear a loud thumping sound.

I called STANCE about this problem and they said thad either a rubber bushing came loose or I was bottoming out my coilovers due to incorrect setup. I took the wheels off checked the bushings seemed ok and lifted the car to the highest point. The noise improved but I still here the sound over small or large bumps.

Question: Is it possible that this coilover is broken if thats even possible? Seems like every side is ok except this one.

Thanks,
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM
ED 718'S DADDY
Banned

I think Tein has better product than stance.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 PM
twenzel

Originally Posted by ED 718'S DADDY
Your mother has a better vagina than your sister.

OP, It is most likely the same thing that a lot of true rear coilover users experience and that is the upper spindle bushing is fully compressing when the suspension compresses causing the noise. Your not alone here. I am still trying to find someone to make a spherical bushing for this oem rubber bushing.

Tighten everything down again and see if that helps. Also make sure there isn't too much preload on the spring, this can cause noise sometimes too.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Fairlady22

Thanks its just frustrating to pay 1200 for a coilover set and have this happen. I shoulda just stuck with my stock suspension with the eibach lowering springs. Handled just fine.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always ditch the rear spring from Stance and go with a properly rated spring that fits in the oem bucket location. Then you probably wouldn't have to worry about the noise issue.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
SiR_NisMo

Thumbs down stance

im planning to get a set from stance so you saying stance is not good.....and that i shonldn't get it....
Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
rkd350z

similar problem but
I can take it..
Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
ED 718'S DADDY
Banned

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
Your mother has a better vagina than your sister.

OP, It is most likely the same thing that a lot of true rear coilover users experience and that is the upper spindle bushing is fully compressing when the suspension compresses causing the noise. Your not alone here. I am still trying to find someone to make a spherical bushing for this oem rubber bushing.

Tighten everything down again and see if that helps. Also make sure there isn't too much preload on the spring, this can cause noise sometimes too.
your sister has tighter ***** than your grandma.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Checkmate58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks its just frustrating to pay 1200 for a coilover set and have this happen. I shoulda just stuck with my stock suspension with the eibach lowering springs. Handled just fine.
Yeah you can special order the rear springs that sit in the spring bucket. They were offering this setup for a while but then stopped. As for Eibachs, I had them before and it's day and nite compared to the Stances. I totally love these coilovers over the Eibach springs.

The biggest difference is that at higher speeds, the Eibach with stock springs bounced everywhere. It felt totally floaty. Of course you should use aftermarket shocks but still, its a huge difference at least for me in handling.

--Sam
Old 06-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairlady22
Hello Everyone,

I know there have been several threads about the STANCE but I would like to address this issue maybe someone can help.

I purchased my STANCE setup about a year ago and just recently when I put my stock wheels back on and lowered the suspension a bit, on the rear right side everytime I hit a bump or go over a sligt bump I hear a loud thumping sound.

I called STANCE about this problem and they said thad either a rubber bushing came loose or I was bottoming out my coilovers due to incorrect setup. I took the wheels off checked the bushings seemed ok and lifted the car to the highest point. The noise improved but I still here the sound over small or large bumps.

Question: Is it possible that this coilover is broken if thats even possible? Seems like every side is ok except this one.

Thanks,
Typically the problem is related to the lower shock mount bushing on the rear hub assembly not being able to handle the load being asked of it since it was never designed to have the entire weight of the rear suspension on those bushings. To test if that's the source of your noise, you can pull the rear Stance coilover assemblies and swap in your old rear setup and drive it around, making the effort to drive over the same area's that the Stance setup has been sounding off at. Thing is, if those bushings are fried, you may still get the noise. IIRC, Nismo does offer a stiffer lower shock mount bushing, though we don't really no just how much stiffer any of those bushings are vs oem, they are not polyurathane.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate58
Yeah you can special order the rear springs that sit in the spring bucket. They were offering this setup for a while but then stopped. As for Eibachs, I had them before and it's day and nite compared to the Stances. I totally love these coilovers over the Eibach springs.

The biggest difference is that at higher speeds, the Eibach with stock springs bounced everywhere. It felt totally floaty. Of course you should use aftermarket shocks but still, its a huge difference at least for me in handling.

--Sam
Sam, did you ever get as far as to ask them what the cost of buying the rear springs and the height adjustment system would cost?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Mechee

I'm running the Stance OEM setup with no noise issues (not surprisingly) here.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Havok_RLS2

You should stop doing that....Thinking I mean.

Tein isn't better dumba$$. It's different. You'd know that if you didn't believe everything you read in Super Street.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Havok_RLS2

your sister has tighter ***** than your grandma.
You'd know huh? Grandma ******.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Checkmate58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Sam, did you ever get as far as to ask them what the cost of buying the rear springs and the height adjustment system would cost?
Best people to contact would be at this website http://www.tougefactory.com/main.htm regarding the rear bucket style spring.

--Sam
Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
z2nv

It's nice to know there are other people with this problem! Mine really comes from the front...i always assumed it was the shock bottoming out! It can get pretty annoying on bumpy roads.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 AM
three_fitty

Originally Posted by z2nv
It's nice to know there are other people with this problem! Mine really comes from the front...i always assumed it was the shock bottoming out! It can get pretty annoying on bumpy roads.
i got noises coming from all directions. My endlinks are making knocking sounds in the front, and my stance's are squeaking in the rear.

I've dealt with it... by turning up my system, or rolling down my windows and listenin to the VQ.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
eez

i have a similar problem, a squeaking, thumping noise at low seeds on the passenger side. I just realized that it's the tire/rim just barely touching the lower collar. I'm getting a 5mm spacer to fix the issue (my rears are 10.5 with +35). Check to see you have enough clearance because I seem to remember the same problem when I had my stock wheels on for a couple weeks. Everybody said they made noise so I just accepted it, but found out what the real problem was when I was messing around with the height. Hope that helps.

l8r