Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Fastbrakes.com Wilwood kit fits under stock 03 18" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM
archspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crimso: Yeah, it only takes up 2/3 of the disc. Some kits are like that. If you look at MaximusZ (a poster on page1) and search up his 6-piston Wilwood kit from Fastbrakes.com, you'll see the same 2/3 like mine, his eats a little more inside.

There's an Endless BBK teaser thread going on right now, you can check it out. The Endless BBK also left a little bit of the inside of the disc without any contact with the pads.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

I'm only offering the info to save you some greif.

If the pads you have are .620 then the easiest corrective measure is to run the wider (proper?) pad for the app. Unless the rotor is over 1.300" wide there is no reason you have to run those thin pads.

Your options are; new .800 pads, pad wear spacers, or leave it and deal with the outcome. Personally I know the down side to option 3 and don't suggest it. And I promise you will end up with stuck pistons within about 3500mi.

As for the pad to rotor surface, that's nothing wrong at all. If you put it on a smaller rotor it would appear to cover more, a larger rotor less. The pad is the same size from 11.00 to 13+" rotor. Consider it an illusion.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
archspeed

Thanks Todd! Been modding cars for the last 8 years or so ever since I was 16, and it's very rare to see a vendor who would take care of customers/non-customers like you . Very informative, thanks very much! It's great for this forum to have you.

I have contacted Brian from Fastbrakes.com and he is sending out the .800 pads for me (free of charge, of course). Thanks to Brian for the great customer service also.

Todd: Do you know where I can possibly purchase some pad wear spacers? Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by archspeed
Thanks Todd! Been modding cars for the last 8 years or so ever since I was 16, and it's very rare to see a vendor who would take care of customers/non-customers like you . Very informative, thanks very much! It's great for this forum to have you.

I have contacted Brian from Fastbrakes.com and he is sending out the .800 pads for me (free of charge, of course). Thanks to Brian for the great customer service also.

Todd: Do you know where I can possibly purchase some pad wear spacers? Thanks again!
Did they ship the wrong pads with the kit? Also, even with a thicker pad aren't you eventually going to have the same problem when the pad wears down?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by teh215
Did they ship the wrong pads with the kit? Also, even with a thicker pad aren't you eventually going to have the same problem when the pad wears down?
I don't think he meant to ship out the wrong pads. The custom kit is rather new and I'm probably like one of the very first people to try it on. So it's kind of trial and error. But he knows of the issue the moment I brought it up, and he said that he has already started to ship these kits with the .800 HPS pads instead of the .62 that were shipped out for me. He has already expedited a shipment of the .800 pads to me so it's all good.

I'm still probably going to try to source out some spacers so I can stick them in there when the pad wears down (I think it's probably going to be this approach for all the BBKs out there, not just mine). I talked to Brian and he said there are spacers that will fit the back of the pads and there are spacers that actually sits inside the hollow pistons. It's up to me. I'll stick the new pads in first and take care of the rest later.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

I stock both .070 and .120" spacers. Contact me when you need them.
No doubt the pads were a simple mistake, I wouldn't get worked up over it. Knew you'd be taken care of.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:02 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the thickness difference just in the pad material or is the backer plate thicker?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:17 PM
TimeAttkZ

So this looks like a great kit for me. I wanted the Rotora front BBK originally, but this could save me alot more money. Im a DD with ocational track day so it seems right on! Is it a 13" caliper? And is it just me or is the rotors with this kit alot smaller than rotora's/stoptech's. Could I buy this willwood kit and swap out the rotors for the rotora's if they are in fact bigger ? Or would this mess up the braking ? Thanks guys.

BTW, can I get these in Red ????

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 07-05-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
DMK

They sell a 14" kit if you want.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM
TimeAttkZ

Originally Posted by DMK
They sell a 14" kit if you want.
I see that thanks... but do they offer these kits in RED ???
Old 07-05-2007, 06:17 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
I stock both .070 and .120" spacers. Contact me when you need them.
No doubt the pads were a simple mistake, I wouldn't get worked up over it. Knew you'd be taken care of.
You're the man!
Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by TimeAttkZ
So this looks like a great kit for me. I wanted the Rotora front BBK originally, but this could save me alot more money. Im a DD with ocational track day so it seems right on! Is it a 13" caliper? And is it just me or is the rotors with this kit alot smaller than rotora's/stoptech's. Could I buy this willwood kit and swap out the rotors for the rotora's if they are in fact bigger ? Or would this mess up the braking ? Thanks guys.

BTW, can I get these in Red ????
It's a 12.76" rotor, Z stock Brembo-sized. If you buy the kit and want to run bigger rotors later, you'll most likely have to get new brackets.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:16 AM
hyperz

subscribing
Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 AM
bsomthin

i think you should have just went with a caliper upgrade. my boy did one on his altima se-r being that the altima didnt have a upraded braking system and the definatly worked out better. and also you should of got the standard sized rotors the caliper would of fit much better imo. cause it definatly look out of place.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:53 PM
archspeed

Well I was on a budget and wanted better-looking and perform the same (and somewhat better as repeated stops are concerned) than the OEM non-Brembo, without having to fork up $2000-$4000. The more expensive kits are more extensively designed and R&D'd, obviously.

But I just wanted something better than stock, and still look OEM-ish. At this point, with great advices from Todd and great customer service from Brian, I'm quite happy.

This kit is mostly for guys like me who most likely would do 3-4 track days a year and is daily driver the rest, who enjoys a bit of spirited driving now and then, but just CAN'T STAND the softball-sized stock brakes , and who are on a budget.

Although, like I have said, the stock brake's stopping capability is no slouch. It's only in repeated stops that my new kit outshines the OEM non-Brembo.

Thanks to all who replied and helped out with advices
Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 786 Posts

is there a replacement caliper for oem non brembo? link?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
DMK

It's a 12.76" rotor, Z stock Brembo-sized. If you buy the kit and want to run bigger rotors later, you'll most likely have to get new brackets.
14" Wilwood FR 6pot/4pot Kit -> http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=712
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 AM
bsomthin

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
is there a replacement caliper for oem non brembo? link?

you could have one made for your z. i dont doubt that that wil be hard at all, the fellas at fatsbrakes are very good at what they do.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 AM
archspeed

Oops, kinda forgotten about this thread.

Latest update: I got the thicker .800 Hawk HPS pads from Brian at FastBrakes on Thursday, slapped them on Friday evening, it's a lot better now. The pistons don't come out as much as before, they come out about .120" now.

The squealing is still there, but tolerable. Depends on how I drive, of course. I haven't gotten the chance to really bed the brakes yet due to not having long empty roads available for bedding (California Bay Area dweller here hehe).

So, in conclusion, pretty good investment! Great tips from Todd of TCE Performance, whom I will be ordering some spacers soon when the pads start wearing down. And thanks to Brian from Fastbrakes for the great customer service he provides.

Here's a pic with the thicker pads (driver side). There are pics of the thinner .650" pads on Page 2 (passenger side). The pistons are now not as exposed as before:

Last edited by archspeed; 07-15-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:12 AM
S12 driver

Not trying to flame or anything, but wouldn't it be better to order some brake pads with thicker backing plates and thinner pad materiaals? Thenn you won't need to add spacers later on when they wear down.

Quick Reply: Fastbrakes.com Wilwood kit fits under stock 03 18" rims?