Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Fastbrakes.com Wilwood kit fits under stock 03 18" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:36 AM
hyperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is this just a kit put together by fastbreaks? It looks as though the calipers were intended for a thicker rotor and just kitted with these for the money savings aspect. I think I would just rather do the stoptech stage 2 upgrade for the same price, but no worrys. I doubt that these 4 pot wilwood cals bite that much harder than stock anyways and it only does the front. Just my .02.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 PM
kennyl5123

Can the new pad cover most of the area on the disc? Can you post the picture? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Fastbrakes.com Wilwood kit fits under stock 03 18" rims?-dscf0013.jpg  
Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by S12 driver
Not trying to flame or anything, but wouldn't it be better to order some brake pads with thicker backing plates and thinner pad materiaals? Thenn you won't need to add spacers later on when they wear down.
Well, Brian of Fastbrakes shipped the new thicker pads to me free of charge Brian did tell me that all kits of this type are now shipped with the thicker pads. But if you're ordering the kit, do double-check with him anyways. He's a great guy.

Originally Posted by hyperz
so is this just a kit put together by fastbreaks? It looks as though the calipers were intended for a thicker rotor and just kitted with these for the money savings aspect. I think I would just rather do the stoptech stage 2 upgrade for the same price, but no worrys. I doubt that these 4 pot wilwood cals bite that much harder than stock anyways and it only does the front. Just my .02.
Yep, kit put together by fastbrakes. The caliper is intended for 1.25" thick rotors (the OEM Brembo-sized rotors are 1.18" in thickness, thus necessitating thicker pads and later on some spacers). The whole point of this kit is the budget saving aspect while keeping OEM brake performance, if not better, and have a 4-pot caliper for aesthetic reason.

After the bedding I did today, WHICH REMOVED ALL THE NOISE , I can say for certain that the braking performance has been increased remarkedly from the OEM one, in both initial braking attempts and much better fade resistance.

Not sure how it would stack up with the StopTech Stage 2 upgrade (which is quite worth the money I suppose). But the Stoptech Stage 2 upgrade still retains the original caliper, which was one of the reasons that I bought this kit. And Stoptech Stage 2 is more expensive I believe (front AND rear upgrades).

And of course, I used the bed-in techniques from Stoptech's site I concentrated especially on the COOLING down part of the routine, and this time everything worked out.

There are no brake lockups from the rear, so the front bias is tolerable to me. ABS works, so that's good. Works as advertised, with no noise. Good enough for guys like me who want big caliper looks but never will actually use the big caliper's true potential

I drive like a grandma on the road anyways, no need to drive fast, gotta drive slow so people can see my Wilwood showin

Originally Posted by kennyl5123
Can the new pad cover most of the area on the disc?
The new thicker pads still cover the same area. Todd said it's all good, and it's all good to me also.

Last edited by archspeed; 07-15-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
jadaniya
Banned

isnt the stoptech stage 2 upgrade only pads, ss brake lines, and rotors? lol, I'd rather get the wilwood bling and performance.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by jadaniya
isnt the stoptech stage 2 upgrade only pads, ss brake lines, and rotors? lol, I'd rather get the wilwood bling and performance.
Shhhh.....alot of people here has the stoptech stage 2 kit, you better watch what you say Just playing haha!

Some people want the comfort of the original calipers' safety and wanted improved braking performance also, so they went Stoptech Stage 2. Me and some others wanted the big-caliper look in the front only.

As a reminder, the stock caliper is NO SLOUCH in first or second hard brake attempts, only fading extremely if you do repeated hard stops. So the Stoptech stage 2 upgrade definitely makes sense...

Different strokes for different folks, all's good in the hood

Ahh, another note: Please dont take this thread as saying that FastBrakes.com is a cheapo kit assembler that only makes budget kits like mine. Fastbrakes also fashion alot of other heavy-hitting kits for our Z based on Wilwood components as well. They also make kits for front and rear that costs quite a good bit out of my money range

Last edited by archspeed; 07-15-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Cause you get the larger rotors , something that some of use can use for autocross and track events. The early models 05 and older have some small *** rotors and no matter what pads they will fade.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 AM
hyperz

so, the 06 Z's have larger rotors up front? I thought that the wilwood cals were the same size as the oem ones? Nice kit anyways, I just dont like how the pistons come out that far and you shouldnt need spacers. Not flaming anyone, just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
archspeed

so, the 06 Z's have larger rotors up front? I thought that the wilwood cals were the same size as the oem ones? Nice kit anyways, I just dont like how the pistons come out that far and you shouldnt need spacers. Not flaming anyone, just my opinion.
I believe the 06 non-Brembo brakes have larger rotors up front, along with 2-piston calipers.

The Wilwood calipers are alot bigger than the OEM ones. No point in even comparing them.

The pistons being exposed will have to be something I got to live with. More checking will be done, but I think it should be OK.

Fastbrakes.com also make the same kit, except with 13"+ rotors. These rotors are thicker than the OEM-Brembo-sized rotors I have and they fit the calipers nicely.

Of course, the kit is also more money

Last edited by archspeed; 07-16-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM
hyperz

ok, thanks. Maybe I will just give them a call and ask about the 13" setup.