Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

I installed my StopTechs yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:14 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I installed my StopTechs yesterday.

For a guy who's never even changed his own oil, it was an adventure to say the least. If you don't have a big-*** breaker bar, prepare for some serious pain the next day. I love how every factory bolt on the Z seems to be torqued to 250 ft. lbs. I did the entire install myself and had Michael-Dallas over later to help bleed the system. I did NOT unbolt the caliper and hold it vertical to bleed which WAS a mistake as I still have a small pocket of air trapped in the caliper.

If you don't already know, I picked up the 13.1" set with black calipers. Although I did not actually weigh the components, I could tell that the stock rotors and new rotors were virtually identical in weight. The iron centers in the 11.7" stock rotors contribute A LOT to their weight. Hooray for aluminum hats! The StopTech calipers were considerably lighter on the order of 4-6 lbs. by my guesstimate.

We bedded in the pads last night and Michael commented on the fact that I now need a 5-point harness for passengers. I'll be re-bleeding the system once more tonight and then it should be at 100%. They look great behind the Track wheels I picked up last weekend too. A guy in a Boxster S was eyeing the StopTechs HARD this A.M. trying not to look obvious. I'll shoot pics later this week for those interested.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:29 AM
john350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the new brakes.

hope you like them as much as i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john
Old 05-05-2003, 11:37 AM
failsafe
....for your health

droidekaus- Congrats- I can't wait. I purchased the last pair from Gruppe-S last week and having them do the install tomorrow. What kind of fluid are you using? (you to John) Thx. -Jason
Old 05-05-2003, 11:47 AM
john350Z

thanx for helping me out with the reply victor.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Traffic

Many congratulations. I'm seriously considering the StopTech or the AP's as well. I hope you intend to post a review
Old 05-05-2003, 05:18 PM
all_bark

Great upgrade!

5 point harness? I have to agree!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:21 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

"Although I did not actually weigh the components, I could tell that the stock rotors and new rotors were virtually identical in weight. The iron centers in the 11.7" stock rotors contribute A LOT to their weight. Hooray for aluminum hats! The StopTech calipers were considerably lighter on the order of 4-6 lbs. by my guesstimate."

I did weigh mine........calipers are about 2 lbs lighter, rotors about 4 lbs heavier. I only had a bathroom scale at my disposal.

Enjoy the new WOHHH!

I just have to learn how to remove the Axis pads to install my CarboTech RACE pads The StopTech calipers seem to BITE into the pads. Any pointers?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:31 PM
droideka

UPDATE!

I unbolted the calipers this evening and held them vertically as illustrated in the StopTech instructions. We re-bled and a CONSIDERABLE amount of air was trapped in the caliper, especially on the inboard side. HOLY SH*T!!! It's a night and day difference now. THIS is what brakes should feel like. I've driven three Track models and none felt as immediate and serious as these StopTechs. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:38 PM
droideka

Originally posted by EnthuZ
I did weigh mine........calipers are about 2 lbs lighter, rotors about 4 lbs heavier. I only had a bathroom scale at my disposal.
Well, I am a fisherman, so I am prone to making up weights!

Originally posted by EnthuZ
I just have to learn how to remove the Axis pads to install my CarboTech RACE pads The StopTech calipers seem to BITE into the pads. Any pointers?
No ****! I couldn't believe how hard it was to intially seat those pads. I'm thinking that those holes are in the top of the backing plates for a reason. You slip thin, metal bars through there and pull up, putting equal leverage on both sides at once. I bet they pop out a lot easier then. I haven't actually tried that, it's just an idea at this point.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:14 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

droid... congratulations and look forward to pictures and hearing your impressions...
Old 05-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Jason Bourne

Cool, nice write-up. I'm getting my black caliper 13" kit installed tomorrow. They should be sitting in my apartment as we speak. I'm very excited - especially since I will be at the track all weekend. Can't wait to see this car and these brakes in action. Now if only the forecast of rain could be wrong!

Jason