Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help: Both "VDC OFF" and "SLIP" lights coming on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:39 AM
Sk8fe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Both "VDC OFF" and "SLIP" lights coming on?

For the past week or so I have been experiencing a problem where both my "VDC OFF" and "SLIP" lights are coming on after 5 to 10 minutes of driving and will not shut off. What does it mean? Has anybody had this problem? Is there anything I can check, clean (sensors) or do to fix this or do I have to take it in for service? I posted a similar thread in the track forum because I run my Z out on the track for Driver Ed. events, but I also drive it on the street as well and those cats simply said to turn off the VDC. So I wanted to post here as well to get more suspension guru eyes to see it and to hopefully get your input.

I have a 2003 Track Ed. My alignment settings are below. Ironically, this problem seemed to occur around the same time as when I set my Hotchkis 3-way adjustable sway bars to their stiffest setting and when I had dremel work done and SPC toe bolts installed (before this alignment was done as my alignment was all out of whack from getting my Z corner balanced). Since my alignment was so out of whack before would disconnecting the battery "reboot" or "reset" the VDC (would that work)? Is the VDC *that* sensitive to sway bar settings and/or camber settings?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's common - at least on the Xterras.

I've got both an X and a Z and with my daily driver Xterra those two lights are always going off together for seeming no reason. They'll light up when I start the truck and stay on for a few hours. I bought a code reader and the thing doesn't throw codes while the lights are on. The first time it happened I was really concerned as I was on my way to an off-road event where I'd be far far away from the nearest dealer. I've had the truck for seven months now and the light pair combination have gone off about 10 times.

I've seen four or five other guys with the same symptoms on an Xterra forum and their dealers have been clueless changing out all sorts of sensors without success.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What it means is the VDC system is detecting some kind of fault and shutting down completely (indicated by both lights on and won't go off until car is restarted). Alignment and sway settings should have no effect at all. I'd check your brake fluid; sometimes when it gets low this happens (and if that's the case, it may mean your pads are about due for replacement). Only other thing I can think of is maybe a sensor was messed up when the work was done?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Sk8fe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I figured it shut itself down completely. Since this started happening I made two changes to my Z's suspension & alignment setup.

1. Was putting the sway bars on their stiffest setting (not likely the cause)
2. Add toe in the rear (0.15).

I took my Z back to STS and told them to set the rear toe as close to zero as they can and then do any fine adjustment to the front toe as needed to get the steering wheel pointing straight, etc. They reset the rear toe to 0.08 for me and that did the trick!

For my year 350Z (2003), appearently the VDC does not like any toe in the rear. Just want to provide an update in case anyone stumbles across this problem.