Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

*Tein MONO Flex-Review & Install Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up *Tein MONO Flex-Review & Install Pics*

Little background first-I previously had JIC FLT A2's with 10k/12k spring rates, Ive had them the past 4 years, close to 55K miles. They were starting to get tired, scraping and rubbing in places it wouldnt before, and bounce really bad. I wanted the Teins for the EDFC and the new Mono Flex (14k/14k) looked promising. I decided instead of revalving the JIC's and having downtime Id go for the Teins.

Compared to the JIC's believe it or not they ride better, even compared to when the JIC's were new. I was never a fan of how the JIC's bounced in daily driving, and for some reason I could never run my JIC's stiffer than setting 8, as the steering felt wobbly and loose. The Teins feel flatter cornering, and MUCH more composed driving hard, especially the rear end of the car. Where the JIC's would oversteer at the limit, my Teins feel VERY planted, it feels much better to me as the a$$ feels much more stable and gives away in a much more forgiving manner compared to the JIC's. One weird thing is the Teins have a tendency to understeer at the limit, which is fine with me as Id rather have understeer rather than oversteer on the street and at the limit in most cases. I only have about 220 miles on them so I have yet to fine tune the set-up. Overall, Im very happy with the purchase (thaks Sharif!) and I look forward to getting more seat time.

I took the chance to raise my car about .5-.75" on the new set-up, it used to sit really low and at Z day Z on JIC's Id rub my front fenders BAD-bad enough I chipped both fronts. I used to run -2 degrees camber all around, I now run -1.6 front, -1.1 on both rears which helps with my traction issues, will wear the rear tires better (-2 would wear insides faster) yet still handles good. I also wanted more clearance for my Top Secret CF front diffuser I have and for the soon to be mounted 305's out back.

Install Notes

Thanks to Sharif and Luie (Eagletanggreen) for the tips, I took some shots of the suspension and work below, I did this with the help of 2 friends. Installing the suspension is easy, I wasnt sure how I would run the EDFC wires, this is how we did them...

For the front we ran the wires from the driver's side to the passenger side where the main wiring harness runs into the car. Then from the passenger side under the dash into the center console. For the rear, we drilled the opening in the Z strut brace slightly larger to fit the EDFC cable/connector through, then painted the edge with touch up paint and covered the "sharp" edge before wrapping up (not seen in pic). From there, the wires were run under the back panel to the glove box above the fuel pump, into the center console, up to the EDFC unit mounted under the HVAC controls. Power/grounds were found under center console..pics below of suspension, EDFC motor being installed, EDFC motor installed, my friend drilling the rear holes, me cutting dash, etc etc...Questions, comments feel free to ask...

Last edited by Alberto; 07-19-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 AM
blueper4mancez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good alberto , but is it me or the passenger side seem a little lower ?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I was **** about ride height (set it in my garage after driving around), both sides are within 1/16" inch. If it looks like that was its due to the road, I shot the pics in a construction zone with kinda rough roads, made the rear, certain sides look jacked in some spots/shots...

edit-that rear shot does make it look off though!

edit # 2 lol-I just walked outside to check that rear, its def the road as where its parked now the drivers side looks low, opposite of the pic above, its even

Last edited by Alberto; 07-16-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 AM
blueper4mancez

if you don't mind i ask , how long was the install take , i'm getting these coilover as well but no edfc . little ot i will soon be in va for my greddy insatlled at function tuned . maybe i could get a ride in your beast .
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 AM
tropicalypso

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good man, do you have any shots of the EDFC controller after it was mounted in the dash?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

With no EDFC the install will take a newb maybe 4 hours, we can do it in a little over 1 hour, with 2 of us on it. We really took our time on everything and the whole install took about 7 hours, we ran everything clean, and that includes making 2 ride height adjustments AFTER we had finished.

When will you be in VA? Let me know hopefully I can make it down to see you @ Dave's shop...
Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by tropicalypso
Looking good man, do you have any shots of the EDFC controller after it was mounted in the dash?

Hehe, only a matter of time before somebody asked. Yes I do, and I kinda dont want to post it. I did the dremeling, then filed the opening down. I overfiled on one edge so there is a small gap that is KILLING me to look at (not visible from anything other than pass seat). Im prideful of the work I do and ashamed to post it lol. I'll be ordering a new piece today. Was my first interior hack job. I'll dig up a pic or at worst snap a pic at lunch and show you later
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Originally Posted by Alberto
I did the dremeling, then filed the opening down. I overfiled on one edge so there is a small gap that is KILLING me to look at (not visible from anything other than pass seat).
don't worry man...stage 1 weight reduction starts in the center console

looking good as always
Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

LOL Thanks man. I actually wrote that wrong, the small overfiling I did is only visible from the drivers seat, the passenger cant see it
Old 07-16-2007, 08:12 AM
THE TECH

Nice choice in suspension.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

1 more, with my GF's Z...

Last edited by Alberto; 07-19-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that set up is really nice. Great job on the car.

question, i have done suspension on fwd cars and it takes me about 4 hours by myself. I haven't messed with or even looked at my z yet. Do you know if our car is easier? Did you mean do the coilover install by itself in 1 hour? Usually the spring compressor is what takes a good amount of time.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Bert, and thanks for the write-up. As Alberto mentioned, the phsyical installation of the coilovers is very straightforward...no spring compressor or special tools needed. Doing a nice clean install of the EDFC takes time, and you guys did a fine job. Also figure another 1/2 hour or so to get the ride height just perfect.

Have fun with it.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
that set up is really nice. Great job on the car.

question, i have done suspension on fwd cars and it takes me about 4 hours by myself. I haven't messed with or even looked at my z yet. Do you know if our car is easier? Did you mean do the coilover install by itself in 1 hour? Usually the spring compressor is what takes a good amount of time.
When adding coilovers remember you wont be switching springs, so no compressor needed as you pull everything out assembled. Front is as simple as one 17mm nut/bolt and three 12mm nuts. Back is cake, as its not a coil over spring set-up. Shock is by itself, spring sits in the control arm. The shock is one 17mm, two 12mm's, and spring is one 17mm. VERY EASY, easier than messing with most FWD cars.

Thanks again Sharif
Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 AM
918 Z

can u post a pic of the engine bay. i would like to see how the onnection wires go around the strut tower brace. is it stock or aftermarket strut tower brace?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

No strut tower brace on my car. Wires went from drivers side shock tower up into brake fluid area (pic above) and up under the plastics, it then went into the battery area (pass side) where the main wiring harness is and into the car, no drilling of the firewall needed. I dont have any good pics showing this, but you look on you rcar (pul loff those plastic covers and lining), its very easy to spot how we did it.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks alberto. I guess i will do my own install later down the road.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review alberto, and very nice choice for coilovers. How do the 14K's feel on the street? I wish they had universal EDFC's for every coilover setup. I'd rock it on my buddyclubs.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 AM
tranceformer95

Wow, nice install. Car looks simple and clean.

And you girlfriend has a Z too? (sounds like you picked a keeper)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I know this makes no sense but the 14k/14k feels stiffer than the JIC's but the car feels much better composed over bumps/rough roads as the shocks feel well suited to the springs, so it doesnt beat you up as much. Whereas the JIC's were stiff and bouncy these are just stiff, first few days felt like I was driving around with 60psi in the tires, then you get used to it. I LOVE the EDFC, its so sweet to ride around on full soft then turn it up to another preset before a turn, makes a huge difference...

And yes my GF has an 06' with bolt-ons and Tanabe NF's. I actually copied her drop but added 1/8" ride height as I love the stance of her car with the rear higher and some wheel back out back for larger tires I was also very happy with the alignment I had done Saturday only running -1 rear camber looks great and helps with 2nd and 3rd gear traction!

Quick Reply: *Tein MONO Flex-Review & Install Pics*