Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Special Edition StopTech's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
how about the new special edition...buy 1 get 3 free =)
LOL, now THAT's a great idea for a special edition. Pure genius.

Will
Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
350Z84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So buy 1 caliper and get 3 free, hahaha FTW!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Anymore updates? My StopTech Stage II OEM kit is done! LOL Need to invest the money now into a BBK!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for updates! The Stoptech guys got quiet on this thread and on the thread about their carbon ceramic rotors. What's the 411?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
J Ritt

Not too quiet! We have been working on some things...I should have some additional info within the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Not too quiet! We have been working on some things...I should have some additional info within the next couple of weeks.
Please keep me informed as I'm ready to purchase a BBK. Waiting on the info/specs of this kit though.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Resolute

Bump. Because I'm holding off on buying a used Brembo set until I get some info on the special edition kit.

J Ritt, any info you can give us? Is this going to go more for performance or asthetics? Tell Steve Ruiz to get off his USCC winning *** (I'm just guessing) as design us some lightweight monoblock calipers already!

Will
Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
J Ritt

We just had another internal discussion on this...hang in there guys. It's coming closer to reality.

I'm really leaning towards both performance and aesthetic differences. I'm evaluating some new suppliers, processes, etc. right now. It's a tough balance between cost and content. I want to do something special, but I don't want it to be so expensive that nobody can actually afford it!

I will say that carbon ceramic rotors will certainly be an option with this kit.

Tell Steve Ruiz to get off his USCC winning *** (I'm just guessing) as design us some lightweight monoblock calipers already!
No comment...I know something you don't know.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Resolute

We just had another internal discussion on this...hang in there guys. It's coming closer to reality.

I'm really leaning towards both performance and aesthetic differences. I'm evaluating some new suppliers, processes, etc. right now. It's a tough balance between cost and content. I want to do something special, but I don't want it to be so expensive that nobody can actually afford it!

I will say that carbon ceramic rotors will certainly be an option with this kit.
Thanks for another update. This does sound promising. I don't mind waiting a long time for a good product. But, it would be nice to know if the direction you guys decide to take this is worth waiting for. If there is no actual performance benefit over your current 355mm kits, which also have the carbon ceramic rotor option, and just asthetic differences, then it's a bit dissapointing for me. But I understand you will make whatever appeases the strongest market force, and rightly so. If you guys determine the market would more likely spend the extra cash for a special edition kit that saved some weight or offered other performance-minded benefits, then I will be glad to have waited.

No comment...I know something you don't know.
LOL, I'm sure. He is my pick for the winner of USCC this year. Can't wait until the December issue to find out.
I imagine you're not allowed to divulge anything about the competition prematurely, so maybe you could just tell us how big his 1st place trophy is?

Will
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Thanks! My concern is that the Carbon rotors will make the kit too expensive.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will there be an option to get cross-drilled or slotted carbon ceramic rotors, just like the choices offered for your Aero Rotors?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Thanks! My concern is that the Carbon rotors will make the kit too expensive.
I think he was saying they would just be an option, and not part of the special edition kit itself. If anything, this means the special edition kit will be a 355mm kit, and not the size of the smaller kits offered for the Z. Of course, that could mean a 4 or 6 piston front caliper, who knows. I don't really care, except that the 4 piston might be lighter and have better pad options for track use. I don't know what is available for the ST60 as far as pads go. I would love for the 355mm rear kit to use the ST40 caliper in place of the current ST45, that alone would seal the deal for me- no matter the cost. The ST45 pad selection is a little weak compared to the ST40 and ST22 used on their other kits.

Will
Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

So if you were buying a ST kit today what would you get? I was thinking of getting the 355mm 4-pot front and 328mm 2 pot rear.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Resolute

So if you were buying a ST kit today what would you get? I was thinking of getting the 355mm 4-pot front and 328mm 2 pot rear.
Honestly I was looking at a used Brembo set. I would rebuild it with some light piston springs (maybe 2#) for knock back, and install some Brembo knock-back seals. I could do all that, plus pick up some extra two-piece rotors, and custom paint the calipers, for less than a new ST kit. But, I like where this special edition could be going, so now I'm waiting.

Right now, if I went with ST, I'd look at the smaller of the kits. The 327mm (I think that's what it is) front kit with ST40 calipers, and the ST20 rears. I don't need to fill up some huge wheels or have the largest brake rotors on the planet. I plan on making my car much lighter as time goes by, so a huge kit is not needed, and the less unsprung mass the better. I think the smaller kit would do just fine for my track day needs.

Will

edit: btw, this is what Gary is running and he has nothing but rave reviews for it. And it fits in my little 17" wheels.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Well I need to fill my "hugh" wheels up. LOL I think the 355mm/328mm 4-pot-/2-pot will be fine for my daily/track driving needs. Plus I want something that will stop the Z when I get the JWT TT kit installed.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Resolute

Well I need to fill my "hugh" wheels up. LOL I think the 355mm/328mm 4-pot-/2-pot will be fine for my daily/track driving needs. Plus I want something that will stop the Z when I get the JWT TT kit installed.
Oh, there's no question it will do the job for you. And, yeah, I guess you do have those "huge" wheels to fill up, now. Have you printed a template to make sure the calipers will clear with your offsets? If they won't, I know Spivey would love to take those rims off your hands, LOL.

Will
Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
24v GTI Guy

So whats the status of these things? SEMA is just around the corner and we haven't heard a peep recently. Im still pulling for a kit in matte black with yellow lettering. Hopefully things like zinc plated rotors and gold hats would be included.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Resolute
Oh, there's no question it will do the job for you. And, yeah, I guess you do have those "huge" wheels to fill up, now. Have you printed a template to make sure the calipers will clear with your offsets? If they won't, I know Spivey would love to take those rims off your hands, LOL.

Will
I haven't. Our printer was out of ink and I was too lazy to buy a new ink.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 PM
benderzjamez

I personally would like to see black calipers with orange writing or orange calipers with black lettering. I think it would look good for the Lemans Sunset and sunburnt orange leather seat owners like me.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by benderzjamez
I personally would like to see black calipers with orange writing or orange calipers with black lettering. I think it would look good for the Lemans Sunset and sunburnt orange leather seat owners like me.

... or if you want to celebrate halloween all the time ;P haha. jk.

Quick Reply: Special Edition StopTech's?