Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension help for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension help for a daily driver

Pardon my possibly noobish questions, but I am not well versed in the world of suspension. I have a 2003 Performance model with about 45k miles. I was going to pick up some lowering springs, but then figured my stock struts would probably need replacing soon if I did that (I may be up around 60k miles by this time next year). So why not think of replacing the struts now and be proactive.

So then I figured I would look at either dampers/springs or coilovers. I have set my budget in my head at $1000. I don't track the car and I don't street race. I guess I do 'spirited daily driving', so comfort is important. I would like an improvement over stock cornering ability. And lastly I would like a drop of around 1" front/rear. If it matters, I will be riding on 18x9.5 +20 all around 245/40 F, 275/40 R.

Looking at the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-0C type 1. Not sure of ride quality, but the description says they are designed to be comfortable on the street. Any input on this from experience? The specs on the drop are misleading based on several websites.
The spec reads on one site:
Front +1/4~-1 3/4 in / Rear ±0~-1 1/2 in (~ to me means continuously adjustable)
The spec reads on another site:
Front +1/4, -1 3/4 in / Rear ±0, -1 1/2 in (, to me means one or the other)
Is it continuously adjustable on the ride height, or is it one or the other?
http://www.intensepower.com/tasuprosso35.html

Tokico DSpec kit looks nice, but have heard that this is an inferior kit. There is also no height adjustability, so if I ever wanted to drop a little more or raise it a bit, I couldn't.
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC01B/23-3998

The TEIN Basics I have read in a couple posts that the ride is very stiff and I may not like that for daily driving.
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ing&prodid=303

The KSports I have read have quality issues, so this may not be for me either.
http://www.intensepower.com/kskoprocokit.html

I may be willing to spend the little extra for the BC Racing shown here, but again, not sure of ride quality/reliability. This would be extending the budget though. http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=2778

Any help and/or suggestions you guys can provide would be fantastic!!!

Last edited by StreetOC192; 09-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is height adjustment important to you? is dampening adjustment? or do you want a set it and forget it type of system?

The Tein's ride is stiffer than stock but not obnoxious - alot of how any setup feels is in the tires.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM
plumpzz

My suggestion for a DD: RSR springs + koni's. Its a good drop for NJ and the koni's have nice dampening and arent too expensive. This setup can run to around 1000 bucks but you get good quality comfortable ride.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
is height adjustment important to you? is dampening adjustment? or do you want a set it and forget it type of system?

The Tein's ride is stiffer than stock but not obnoxious - alot of how any setup feels is in the tires.
height adjustment would be nice, but not a must as long as the drop isn't more than an inch.....I may not even get in my driveway if I drop an inch, but I'm willing to take that chance. Dampening adjustment isn't very important. I do 1 type of driving and that is semi-aggressive daily driving.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by plumpzz
My suggestion for a DD: RSR springs + koni's. Its a good drop for NJ and the koni's have nice dampening and arent too expensive. This setup can run to around 1000 bucks but you get good quality comfortable ride.
My focus was on coilovers but that was only because I don't think I could successfully pair dampers and springs, but this is a great suggestion. I'll look into this, Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

again, taking comfort as your primary focus, the Bilstein PSS are my choice - abit more money, but its well spent vs some of the lower priced counterparts IMHO
Old 09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

RSR springs are far too soft, IMHO, for proper use on Koni's - they would be better paired with the D Spec, at which point you mind as well just buy the D Spec spring/shock combo

Koni's handle great don't get me wrong but they beg for increased rate which is something the RSR simply don't have

As for the Tanabe, they are continuously variable on their heights, from the max to mins shown- also a nice choice and well priced too (recently used a set)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
StreetOC192

Yeah, the Bilstiens would be probably my first choice if I were to extend my budget to that level.

So narrowed down recommendations would include:

Tien basics (I'm assuming Adam was saying that I heard wrong about stiff ride and that these would be good for my situation)

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-0C

Koni dampers with some type of spring that pairs well with them(?)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

well don't get me wrong...it is stiffer than stock - but it's by no means punishing, or annoying. The SOC were overall a bit nicer valved, at least on the 19 inch Potenza's I used them on. YMMV as tires really play such a big role.

What tires are you running on those pretty new wheels
Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
well don't get me wrong...it is stiffer than stock - but it's by no means punishing, or annoying. The SOC were overall a bit nicer valved, at least on the 19 inch Potenza's I used them on. YMMV as tires really play such a big role.

What tires are you running on those pretty new wheels
I got a set of Falken FK452 on the way. My next set I can splurge a bit more on a better tire if needed, but buying new wheels, tires, and dropping the Z at the same time puts a pinch on the bank account.

Now I'll be honest, I am leaning towards the Tanabe, but this is only due to how impressed I was with the quality of the exhaust I got. But the price of the Tein's is very attractive. I can't remember EVER riding/driving a car with performance coilovers so I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Those tires should be fine - I've only heard good things so I don't think they will be too punishing. I understand what you mean about not knowing what to expect - thankfully you've got several people here who get a chance to try alot of stuff to hopefully make the decision easier for ya!