Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Took off rear wheel, Rotor moving...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
iknowitsfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took off rear wheel, Rotor moving...

So I took off my rear wheel b/c of the dreaded noise that is a bearing...When I took it off, I am able to move the rotor back and forth. I'm pretty certain that youre not supposed to be able to move the rotor at all. Its not excessive, but I dont like this. Just trying to confirm that it is the bearing. Would I need to replace the entire hub and the bearing? Or just the bearing?
I was looking at this on courtesyparts.com http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...5_800_803.html

im not sure if i need #43202 and #43210 or if can just get away with the bearing which is #43210. Any help would be appreciated. thanx.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
tekk

fyi the rotor is held on by the caliper and wheel. if you took both off the rotor could just be pulled off. so it might not be a problem.

to check bearings iirc you should put on the wheel/tire and then check
Old 02-07-2008, 01:23 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

put your wheel back on and torque down the lug nuts, raise the car and grab each side of your wheel and try to move it forward and back, if it doesnt budge you are fine.

The rotor is only held on by smashing it between the wheel and the hub. taking the wheel off you should be able to move it around if it isnt stuck on by surface rust and the contact grease they use from the factory.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Grommit

Originally Posted by iknowitsfast
So I took off my rear wheel b/c of the dreaded noise that is a bearing...When I took it off, I am able to move the rotor back and forth. I'm pretty certain that youre not supposed to be able to move the rotor at all. Its not excessive, but I dont like this. Just trying to confirm that it is the bearing. Would I need to replace the entire hub and the bearing? Or just the bearing?
I was looking at this on courtesyparts.com http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...5_800_803.html

im not sure if i need #43202 and #43210 or if can just get away with the bearing which is #43210. Any help would be appreciated. thanx.
Hey, can you do me a favor and describe the noise you hear? I'm getting some pretty bad clicking from my rear passenger side wheel. I had the Rear Axle clicking TSB performed on it last weekend but it still makes the noise. The dealer wasn't sure what the cause was but it sounds like it could be my bearings. Curious to know what noise you get.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
bizcotch

Originally Posted by Grommit
Hey, can you do me a favor and describe the noise you hear? I'm getting some pretty bad clicking from my rear passenger side wheel. I had the Rear Axle clicking TSB performed on it last weekend but it still makes the noise. The dealer wasn't sure what the cause was but it sounds like it could be my bearings. Curious to know what noise you get.
take it back and make them fix it AGAIN
Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Grommit

I took it back to the dealer today. Turns out it is my Bearing/Hub.
They don't have any in stock so I'm driving around a rental but as soon as I pick up the car, I'll be sure to listen for the noise.

I think the rear axle clicking, (the one where greasing the splines fixes), is more of a "clank" that you hear once as you accelerate from a stop. My clicking was constant like large BB's clicking around in a can. Kinda like the noise a ten speed bike makes when you're coasting but much louder.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
ev0k1ll3r

it should wobble a bit without the wheel on since the caliper is the only other thing holding on to the rotor. as long as it doenst move with the wheel torqued on then you should be okay. not too sure about the noise though.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Grommit

Originally Posted by ev0k1ll3r
it should wobble a bit without the wheel on since the caliper is the only other thing holding on to the rotor. as long as it doenst move with the wheel torqued on then you should be okay. not too sure about the noise though.
Mine wobbled quite a bit with the wheel on and everything torqued down. My other wheels were solid. I hope this fixes that damn noise I've had for so long!