Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

I-forged AERO's WON'T FIT STOPTECHS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:34 PM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I-forged AERO's WON'T FIT STOPTECHS!

Why will my 19" I-Forged Aero's not fit my Stoptech 13.1" big brake kit????

The caliper sticks out too far, thats why!!! And they hit the face of the caliper because the wheels were built with the spokes too close to the hub!!!!!!

When I look at the closeup's on the other members 350z with Aero's and Stoptechs, I can see his centers were built differently, there is more clearance for the brakes.

I have the performance model so before I switched, this wasn't an issue at all.

Why would I-forged not build the wheels to accomidate larger brakes?

I told Vince when I ordered that I was going to be tracking the car often and I was going to be doing extensive mods, so, why would a wheel company build a high performance wheel with no clearance for brakes?

I guess we will find out what kind of customer service they truley have now that there is a serious issue of fitment. I've had the wheels for 9-10 onths so i can see this isn't going to be pretty. I was the one that introduced Vince to this website as well so I guess we'll see how well I-forged appreciated my referal.

Who knows, maybe I-forged will come through with flying colors!! I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited by zoasis; 07-15-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:23 AM
jran76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check out my reply in another thread, but the issue is the size of the lip (not exactly sure how it relates).

I am sure when you ordered you got the standard lip for the front which is 2.5" and this size will not fit over the Stoptech's.

Unless you specify a brake upgrade they will not go with a 2" lip which is required for the BBK.

I would contact Iforged and see what they can do, their customer service seems to be improving (I am going to test it out because the clear coat on my wheels is peeling).... Good luck
Old 07-16-2003, 11:58 AM
zoasis

Well, Vince's reply was to just "sell mine and buy a new set" but, it takes 4 freakin weeks, if I'm lucky to get a new set.

Oh well, thats what I get for dealing with a small compay with marginal customer service!

I can't say its I-forged's fault, I can only say that they didn't help my situation in any way whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:41 PM
mcduck

Not sure how you're order process went, but when I ordered my iForged, I was specifically asked
A) If I had the factory Brembos?
and
B) Did I plan to upgrade my brakes?

I'm sure those questions play a factor into what they know they can do with spacing.

On the flip side, I recently asked if (now that I have committed to wheel and tire sizes) I can upgrade to Stoptechs with no problems and the answer was "yes". Of course, I'm running Senekas, not Aeros
Old 07-16-2003, 03:58 PM
zoasis

My only question is, if there are two ways of doing something, wouldn't you opt for the way that allows for performance upgrades when building a performance wheel?

Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:17 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Keep in mind most of their buyers would most likely rather have the larger lip size.

JD
Old 07-16-2003, 04:31 PM
AZTEZZA

Granted I don't have a Z like you guys...but didn't you check to see the Stoptech website? When I bought my Stoptech kit for my IS300 I made sure that the offset I had matched the recommendations by the people at Stoptech. Why can't you just get spacers for your wheels...maybe give a little extra room. Guess it depends on how deep that lip is. Best of luck to you and your current predicament.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 PM
zoasis

I was only worried about the 17's not fitting. I had no idea a set of 19" 3 piece "performance" wheels wouldn't be made to accomidate 13" brakes, especially since I explained to them I'd be doing extensive mods to the car for racing. Keep in mind, when I ordered the wheels, the brakes were not manufactured yet so I couldn't do any online measurements at the time. I just figured they would be made with a little foresight since I explained my plans.

Oh well, I don't run a wheel company so I won't tell them how to do business, it just seems like common sense to me.

The 17's should fit.

As far as I'm concerned, I-Forged is all show and no performance. 60lbs is too heavy for a 3 piece perfromance wheel/tire. Especially since I was told 22 lbs before I bought them. Just be warned boys, these hunks of metal don't weight 22 lbs, I assure you of that.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:55 PM
rodH

I saved 9 pounds from stock Touring wheels to my 19" iForged, BUT mine are 2 piece and NOT 3 piece, taht is why I went with 2 piece withOUT bolts=Lighter.

did you specifially tell Vince that you would be getting a Brake kit (it says it on the FAX Order form). If so you have a gripe, "extensive mods" doesn't mean "brakekit". The reason he can't just be safe and make sure tehy ALL fit, is b/c you can't get certain lip sizes or offsets and still clear it (this is why Vince no longer offers 4" lip for Brembo cars).
Old 07-16-2003, 09:55 PM
zoasis

Rod
They didn't have brake kits when i purchased mine so no, I didn't tell him I was getting a big brake kit and no, I didn't check the big brake kit box because there were no big brakes available at the time.

Either way, thats not the point. I never said I-forged was at fault.

They just need to be a bit more helpful with an issue that should have never happened if the wheels were designed with performance and future mods in mind IMO.

However, thats just my opinion. Probably 50% will disagree and thats their right to just as it is my right to think the wheels should have been made to accomidate more than just a big fat freakin lip in the front with no room for brakes.

After thinking about this the last day or so, this really isn't that big of a deal, I'll just sell the rims and get another brand. maybe some Volks or HRE's. At this point, cost is no issue, I just want a wheel company that makes high performance wheels thats willing to back their product if there is a problem down the road, whatever it may be.

I can't wait for 3-4 months for I-forged to deliver a new set of wheels, that just isn't possible and I can't take the risk for delays like the first time I ordered.

Last edited by zoasis; 07-16-2003 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 AM
rodH

Originally posted by zoasis
Rod
They didn't have brake kits when i purchased mine so no, I didn't tell him I was getting a big brake kit and no, I didn't check the big brake kit box because there were no big brakes available at the time.

Either way, thats not the point. I never said I-forged was at fault.

They just need to be a bit more helpful with an issue that should have never happened if the wheels were designed with performance and future mods in mind IMO.

However, thats just my opinion. Probably 50% will disagree and thats their right to just as it is my right to think the wheels should have been made to accomidate more than just a big fat freakin lip in the front with no room for brakes.

After thinking about this the last day or so, this really isn't that big of a deal, I'll just sell the rims and get another brand. maybe some Volks or HRE's. At this point, cost is no issue, I just want a wheel company that makes high performance wheels thats willing to back their product if there is a problem down the road, whatever it may be.

I can't wait for 3-4 months for I-forged to deliver a new set of wheels, that just isn't possible and I can't take the risk for delays like the first time I ordered.
good points, I must admit that I did think for a while If I thought I would ever get a brake kit before I filled that outm but I don't track my car and never will so I said that I don't plan on a brake kit. I am still fine with that decision, but I see your point.