Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question about Dealer's Claim that Brembo Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
My_Tampa_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Dealer's Claim that Brembo Rotors

I have not been having any noticeable problem with the brakes, but during a recent oil change I asked the dealer to replace the pads and turn the rotors regardless of how much life the pads had on them.

The Service Tech calls me an hour later telling me that my rear brakes are fine but the front pads and rotors need to be replaced and they could do the work that day for $1450. He then explains that Brembo Rotors cannot be machined and MUST BE REPLACED! I do know that there is some wear on the rotor as there is a slight lip along the leading edge of the rotors on all four of my wheels.

I have asked around and cannot get a straight answer from anyone. Hoping there is someone here who can confirm. Either way, I'd rather replace with cheese-grator cross drilled replacements than spend $1000 for new rotors.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It's quite simple - it's the Nissan/dealer policy that they won't resurface/turn rotors. Whether or not it can be done or should be done, that's a moot point if they won't do it. Either take it to a shop that will do it or buy a new set for the dealer or somebody else.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:50 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That price is ludicrous.

Nissan dealerships are notorious for trying to screw people on brake jobs.

For some reason they refuse to resurface rotors(although you can find some that will), yet they have no qualms about selling you new ones.

Take it to another dealer.

Or you can take the rotors to a shop with a brake lathe and have them resurfaced. You can get the rotors turned off the car for cheap, but it's much better if you take the car to a place with an on car lathe and fork over the extra cash.

Even better.... replace the rotors and pads yourself. A basic rotor/pad replacement is an easy job. You should be able to replace the front brembo rotors and pads for about $500-600. Save yourself about $800.... if you don't have the tools... think about how many tools you can buy with $800.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by My_Tampa_Z
Either way, I'd rather replace with cheese-grator cross drilled replacements than spend $1000 for new rotors.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
BTW - buy some plain old rotors, you'll gain nothing with drilled or slotted unless it's the looks you care about.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 PM
roast

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
BTW - buy some plain old rotors, you'll gain nothing with drilled or slotted unless it's the looks you care about.
+1
Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 PM
laze1

Hey, I use Centric rotors from Rockauto.com.....I use these front and rear with Carbotech XP-10 pads for once a month track events..they are great

CENTRIC Part # 12042076 Front; Brembo Brakes, Vented $66.99 (plus shipping)

use this coupon and get another 5% off

################################################

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on November 2, 2008; so don't wait!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 AM
My_Tampa_Z

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It's quite simple - it's the Nissan/dealer policy that they won't resurface/turn rotors. Whether or not it can be done or should be done, that's a moot point if they won't do it. Either take it to a shop that will do it or buy a new set for the dealer or somebody else.
Thanks! Called another dealer yesterday and they said they turn the Brembo rotors all the time provided they are not completely worn out. I think I might go with after market Rotors and Pads. Might even try it myself.. ...thanks to all for all the quick replies. Really appreciate it!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had rotors turned in the past and they feel good at first but have always gone down hill fast.

A. Do some more research online here regarding replacement rotors and pads. Lots of options.
B. Contact one of the forum vendors to make a purchase being sure to check the Marketplace first for specials/deals. Consider adding braided lines and fluid as well.
C. Take the parts to Vortex Motorsports off of Hillsborough and have them install the parts and do a complete brake bleed/fluid flush with the install.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 AM
jubes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually thought you can resurface cross drilled rotors, but not slotted ones because resurfacing minimizes the slotted sections there fore defeating the purpose of slotted rotors. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I've been told.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can resurface a slotted, or drilled, or solid rotor - the critical thing to consider though is that each rotor has a minimum thickness. To determine if a disk can be cut, you (or the shop doing the work) must measure the existing thickness of the disk, and then subtract the amount that the lathe will remove. If that measurement still falls within the minimum thickness requirements, then you're good to go. If not, then a new rotor is needed
Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laze1
Hey, I use Centric rotors from Rockauto.com.....I use these front and rear with Carbotech XP-10 pads for once a month track events..they are great

CENTRIC Part # 12042076 Front; Brembo Brakes, Vented $66.99 (plus shipping)

use this coupon and get another 5% off

################################################

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on November 2, 2008; so don't wait!
any pictures of your rotors?

I just got SP rotors any they look funny
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 AM
roast

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I have had rotors turned in the past and they feel good at first but have always gone down hill fast.
I had to have my fronts turned at 19k (on car lathe). The turned rotors lasted over 30k additional miles before I replaced them for a track event. (they lasted longer turned than when new). I had no problems at all with the turned rotors.

At any rate, I usually just buy new rotors.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the best money saving tools for every vehicle.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:50 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Thickness of the rotor is only part of the problem. You also need a dial-indicator to check the runout (warped).
Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't detect hotspots either, which is probably why turning my rotors didn't help since they are to the core.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
ZeroFear

My friend has an STI with brembo's, and the suburu dealer didn't want to turn the rotors either. little FYI for anyone who cares.