Brake help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Canadian
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake help?

Here's the story...

Yesterday my friend and I were going to install some new pads on his Z. We went ahead and did everything, and when we first went for a drive we noticed that on the passenger front of the car a sound was coming from the wheel. Sounded sort of like every rotation the wheels were making, the rotor was coming in contact with the pads. It was late at night, and when we got back to my house the pad/rotor of the passenger front was smoking.

Considering it was hot as **** we just decided to call it a night and fix it tomorrow (today). So, toady we went ahead and took everything off, and just tried to do it again. Went out for a drive, and it started doing the same after the brakes got to temp.

We Came back, I called my friend and he said to take out the pins holding the caliper, and then clean the entire caliper and the pins. Also to regrease them using caliper grease.

We went ahead and did this. Once it was all back together we went for another drive. Sound was gone. Guess what? Sound started on the left side of the car now. So, we just tried to fix it again doing the exact same thing to the front left of the car. We just got done taking it for a drive, and the sound didn't disappear.

The sound came back, and he doesn't want to drive on it because he has to drive home to Arizona tomorrow, or whenever the car is good to drive.

It may or may not be a big deal, but any help would be appreciated. My friend Mike said to just tear it down and try again on the left. While we wait for the brakes to cool, anyone have any idea as to what could be the problem?

Thanks...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Interesting story. Only thing I could think of is sometime the brake dust shield gets bent and comes into contact with the backside of the rotor, causing a scraping noise every rotation. But this wouldn't cause smoke. I dunno...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 AM
avandss

how many miles do you have on you car? im thinking partially seized caliper piston?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Canadian
Banned

Actually we got it fixed. Took it to Midas today to see if they could just take a look, and we didn't put the metal retention piece under the loop on the pad. Stupid us! lol
Old 09-29-2008, 04:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian
Actually we got it fixed. Took it to Midas today to see if they could just take a look, and we didn't put the metal retention piece under the loop on the pad. Stupid us! lol
That shouldn't be the problem, some aftermarket pads don't even have the loops to do that.