Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo vs RS-R springs Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 01:53 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nismo vs RS-R springs Any experience?

I wanted to change my suspension but like other do not want to lower the Z too much. Hence I was looking at the RS-R springs that drop .6" all around vs Nismo's .8" F and 1.2" Rear. Both are supposed to be progressive springs. The RS-R have a bit higher spring rate than Nismo.

Everyone that installed Nismo are generally happy with them.
However, searching this forum I have not locate anybody that has installed the RS-R springs.

May be by now someone has install them and can provide feed back.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:30 PM
johnlotusboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the RS*R springs on my 350Z and like them a lot.
They are linear rate springs and they lowered the the rear .5"maybe .6", the front is lowered about .75".
I had the car realigned and the front is at 1.1 degrees negative camber after the install (originally is was at .8 degrees)
The rear is now set at 1.5 degrees negative camber (original setting was 1.3 degrees negative camber) there was adjustment left in the rear to reduce the camber more but I also changed the swaybars to Cuscos and didn't know where i wanted it for the tire size combo/springs/bars and how they work together.
I almost say to run less rear camber maybe down to about were the fronts are to increase traction in a strait line and give up a little cornering since I run a 285/40/17rear and 245/45/17 fronts.
But I could discuss the details of your specific vehicle mods with you and what you want to do with your car on a case by case basis.
I do like them and they seem to work with the stock shocks for now and it is cheaper. It leaves an extra $1000+ dollars for shocks, and Konis or Tokicos should be out this fall for under $600 for the full set and they will be adjustable and better than the Nismo without a doubt.

Last edited by johnlotusboy; 08-08-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:41 PM
johnlotusboy

I have had my springs on for over 3 months and almost 4,000 miles.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:37 AM
fdao

Default Re: Nismo vs RS-R springs Any experience?

Originally posted by spn350z
I wanted to change my suspension but like other do not want to lower the Z too much. Hence I was looking at the RS-R springs that drop .6" all around vs Nismo's .8" F and 1.2" Rear. Both are supposed to be progressive springs. The RS-R have a bit higher spring rate than Nismo.
Actually, the NISMO lowers the car ~20mm all around. That's about 1". Are you confusing it with the Eibach springs?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 PM
spn350z

Originally posted by johnlotusboy
But I could discuss the details of your specific vehicle mods with you and what you want to do with your car on a case by case basis.
I do like them and they seem to work with the stock shocks for now and it is cheaper. It leaves an extra $1000+ dollars for shocks, and Konis or Tokicos should be out this fall for under $600 for the full set and they will be adjustable and better than the Nismo without a doubt.
I'm just starting on mods. At present I'm going for "touring balance" for daily and long drives. I have encountered the need for change starting with suspension to teakout the design shorting comings from the as built line to my preferences.

Discussion on the forum may provide help to others.

1) First concern is the ride. Since I do not plan to do much auto-xing or DT'ing I would like to better balance for "touring" and remove the "porposing". I do not mind a firmer ride but to want to keep ground clearance (have you seen some of the speed bumps!). I would not consider a change except for the "porposing" that I have with current setup and tire wear.

2) Second on the list of mods is bigger brakes. Driving here in Texas heat has exposed the limits of the OEM single caliper brakes. I'm also reading the forums for the great info on the lower cost options tread.

Hence the consideration of just changing springs (RS-R vs Eibach) and the more expensive Nismo.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:05 PM
350ed
Professional

Can someone answer whether these remove some/all of the porposing/bouncing effect of the stock springs?

Is there a way to tell how much more camber adjustment I have now so I can be sure I don't require camber rods?

spn350z, what did you end up getting?
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Nismo vs RS-R springs Any experience?

Originally posted by spn350z
[B] Both are supposed to be progressive springs. The RS-R have a bit higher spring rate than Nismo.

B]
The stock spirng rates are
347/419
Guess what RSR's web site says their rates are (in spite of then using general terms like this "the Down springs were engineered with a 30 to 50 % spring rate increase and efficient lowering stance." Here's the rates right off their web site
345/417 (as metioned the RSR's are linear not progressive (yes!)

And the Nismo rates would be?

Is this from the G-attack, S-tune or R-tune.