Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cobb Tuning Spring Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobb Tuning Spring Owners

Ive searched and only found a couple of pics of these springs installed. And one member took them off immediately after install because the spring hung over the mount a little. There doesn't seem to be too many people running these. If there is a manufacturing defect with them, then I would like to stay away from them. But I can get a good deal on them right now with the live saving going on. So any input with pictures on the drop, and comments on the ride would be very helpful.

Edit: Can someone please fix the title to tuning. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Equinox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what the other owner's issue was...mine installed 100% fine. Car feels great. Definitely a little stiffer than OEM but not much. My only complaint -- the rear is a tad higher than the front (maybe 0.5"?)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
TheOtherRob

Do you have any pics of your setup? The rear sits higher stock anyway. The only way that Ive seen to get the rear dropped enough is to install coilovers, or gf210's with the cut spring mount.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:35 AM
idrive_MD

i have mine installed on the struts but not on the car, i didnt notice any overhang or anything, they matched up fine to OEM hardware. I would say i cant wait to put them on, but I have been waiting since I got them back in the summer. too many excuses, so now im waiting till late winter early spring before they go on.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Beau

There is a rear spring mount mod you can do to lower the rear a little more. Basically you remove a little of the rubber on the upper spring mount.

Instructions are in the How To section, but it's very straight forward. Just remember that any rubber you take off will be multiplied at the wheel since the spring sits inboard so far.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
TheOtherRob

^Yeah Ive seen that.

No pics of the setup guys? I want a conservative drop that will work with a body kit.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
i have mine installed on the struts but not on the car, i didnt notice any overhang or anything, they matched up fine to OEM hardware. I would say i cant wait to put them on, but I have been waiting since I got them back in the summer. too many excuses, so now im waiting till late winter early spring before they go on.

Given the soft valving and the spring rates your shocks were designed to control on 03-07 non sport G35 coupes, running springs that stiff would be a very bad idea. Remember, only 05-07 G35 coupes delivered with oem 19's have the legit sport suspension's stiffer shocks and springs.

To put things in prospective, the Cobb springs are 39%/56% stiffer then your oem springs.

2003-2007 oem G35 coupes delivered on 17 or 18 inch wheels
Spring rates 314/342

In a certain bit of irony here are the rates you measured on the Cobb springs (thank you for that)
Cobb tuning linear springs
drop 3/4" - 15/16"
Spring rates 436/535

Just as a reminder, even D-specs have a 450lbs rate cap according to Tokico.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Doh-Joe

PM Neil@Cobb on this forum. I don't know about pics but he should answer your questions.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Equinox
Not sure what the other owner's issue was...mine installed 100% fine. Car feels great. Definitely a little stiffer than OEM but not much. My only complaint -- the rear is a tad higher than the front (maybe 0.5"?)

So you can put a number to it,........

Cobb springs are 39%/25% stiffer then your oem springs

2007 oem
Spring rates 314/427

drop 3/4" - 15/16"
Spring rates 436/535
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
TheOtherRob

So how is it that they claim that they developed these to work with the stock struts when they are atleast 25% stiffer?

Maybe Ill just go with the gf210's...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Given the soft valving and the spring rates your shocks were designed to control on 03-07 non sport G35 coupes, running springs that stiff would be a very bad idea. Remember, only 05-07 G35 coupes delivered with oem 19's have the legit sport suspension's stiffer shocks and springs.

To put things in prospective, the Cobb springs are 39%/56% stiffer then your oem springs.

2003-2007 oem G35 coupes delivered on 17 or 18 inch wheels
Spring rates 314/342

In a certain bit of irony here are the rates you measured on the Cobb springs (thank you for that)
drop 3/4" - 15/16"
Spring rates 436/535

Just as a reminder, even D-specs have a 450lbs rate cap according to Tokico.
I have mine mated up to 350Z tokico D-specs, I wasnt aware of them having a 450 rate max. So i guess what you are saying is that these springs are not well suited for any OEM or OEM replacement type shock unless it has custom or higher valving?

What are the koni yellow's rated up to?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
danimaldaisy

Cobb Tunning springs do NOT fit on the front strut perch....in fact half the spring hangs off the strut perch is is so big.

WHY...because the spring is the same diameter from TOP to bottom.

Here is the SCARY PART! i took measurements over the phone and compared them with Shayne from Cobb and he has the same measurements....in fact he just sent me pictures on my cell phone and they look IDENTICAL to mine!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY THESE SPRINGS! i don't know who made them but i can tell you these were NOT R&D'd.....if they were they would have at least fit correctly!,

the spring is so loose on the bottom that i bet if you hit a pothole you would bend the strut rod. new_cussing.gif

I don't know how i am going to get my money back from the eBay seller.

i have wasted 500 bucks on two sets of springs.....the other set is Tanabe GF210's....they were WAY to soft and PROGRESSIVE and sucked....but at least i didn't have fitment issues with them!

i know this thread is worthless without pictures but i am at work and don't get off until 10pm....then it takes me 45 min. to get home and i have to be up at 5am.....i will post EVERYTHING tomorrow after i get off work....

including MY pictures and the one's Shane from Cobb sent me.....

PLEASE do not buy these springs.

i read a few people on this forum claim they have no issues, but they PAID someone else to install them!!!!!!! so they did NOT see it first hand.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
So you can put a number to it,........

Cobb springs are 39%/25% stiffer then your oem springs

2007 oem
Spring rates 314/427

drop 3/4" - 15/16"
Spring rates 436/535

interesting info Gsedan...

my RS*R springs (345/417) aren't far off from the 07 specs

to the OP, i recommend RS*R springs... I've had them on my 04-350 for 4yrs now. they're great, especially if you run a wide staggered tire setup.
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ml#post7064547

i ended up buying the SPC camber/toe bolt kit and hotchkis sways... tuned everything and now my Z feels very balanced. i'll probably upgrade to the tockico blue shocks this spring. i run 255/305 PS2's and the suspension upgrades have reduced understeer significantly!

GL
Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-12-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
3m wol8

Originally Posted by danimaldaisy
Cobb Tunning springs do NOT fit on the front strut perch....in fact half the spring hangs off the strut perch is is so big.

WHY...because the spring is the same diameter from TOP to bottom.

Here is the SCARY PART! i took measurements over the phone and compared them with Shayne from Cobb and he has the same measurements....in fact he just sent me pictures on my cell phone and they look IDENTICAL to mine!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY THESE SPRINGS! i don't know who made them but i can tell you these were NOT R&D'd.....if they were they would have at least fit correctly!,

the spring is so loose on the bottom that i bet if you hit a pothole you would bend the strut rod. new_cussing.gif

I don't know how i am going to get my money back from the eBay seller.

i have wasted 500 bucks on two sets of springs.....the other set is Tanabe GF210's....they were WAY to soft and PROGRESSIVE and sucked....but at least i didn't have fitment issues with them!

i know this thread is worthless without pictures but i am at work and don't get off until 10pm....then it takes me 45 min. to get home and i have to be up at 5am.....i will post EVERYTHING tomorrow after i get off work....

including MY pictures and the one's Shane from Cobb sent me.....

PLEASE do not buy these springs.

i read a few people on this forum claim they have no issues, but they PAID someone else to install them!!!!!!! so they did NOT see it first hand.
so did you ever take pics?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 PM
gerryg2153

Here are some pics
http://gdgoggins.smugmug.com/Cars/Z-...37074948_5iw2n

they show exactly how they fit-
the pics following show the car with them on
I had no problems what so ever with them- autocross no problems
I sold them when I went to coilovers
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by gerryg2153
Here are some pics
http://gdgoggins.smugmug.com/Cars/Z-...37074948_5iw2n

they show exactly how they fit-
the pics following show the car with them on
I had no problems what so ever with them- autocross no problems
I sold them when I went to coilovers
I installed mine myself and I am no professional, but I noticed the "mismatch" of diameters and all I did was make sure I lined it up as evenly as possible and then tightened it down. I strongly doubt they will pop-off or shift if installed properly. In fact, in 10-k miles of use, I have had zero issues with them with mixed driving and daily driving.

I wouldnt go around on forums saying not to buy them, but I do think its fair to caution others about this. If the prospective owner doesnt feel they could install them because of this, then by all means take them to an installer and make them aware of this issue.