Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo Suspension & Sway Bars only for vehicles "equipped without VDC"

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 PM
MyATLz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Suspension & Sway Bars only for vehicles "equipped without VDC?"

I just purchased an '08 Touring, so it has VDC of course. I ordered the Nismo S-Tune Suspension and Nismo Sway Bars. I just received the sway bars and on the installation instructions it says the application is "350Z equipped without VDC." Has anyone run into this problem or can explain why this would be? Or if it really isn't a problem after all? Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM
MyATLz

BTW, I did search and found a few good threads. Basically, from what I understand it is just Nissan saving their *** in case something happens because VDC is techically only supposed to work with the stock suspension? If anyone has any more input I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VDC may not perform as well as it was programmed to do, since you will change the dynamics of the vehicle, but i see no problems with it. as far as i can remember the only thing that pisses off vdc are different ( not matched ) tire sizes.

But my knowledge in VDC is very limited, so we will wait for others to chime in.

Regal is where you want to get service BTW ! Enjoy the new Z !!!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Turn VDC off and problem solved.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that's really a shame that you made the purchase (especially the swaybars) without researching first

the NISMO front bar is the same size as what's already on your car, the rear bar might be as well (I forget the stock Z size off the top of my head). Plus they are non adjustable. Works reasonably well for 03-05 cars (though they are more $ than several other adjustable types from various companies), waste of $ for 06 and up though
Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Badger Z

Nissan has changed their recommendations on installing the Nismo suspension parts on cars with VDC. See page 18 of the Nismo catalog...

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/microsi...ar_catalog.pdf

In the fine print under the 350Z shocks&springs it says you are OK if you install both the shocks&springs and sway bars as a set.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MyATLz
BTW, I did search and found a few good threads. Basically, from what I understand it is just Nissan saving their *** in case something happens because VDC is techically only supposed to work with the stock suspension? If anyone has any more input I would appreciate it. Thanks.
That's basically it. VDC was designed with a certain set of parameters in mind. Anything that changes those parameters can potentially cause VDC to not work or not work as designed. It's purely a CYA.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
MyATLz

Basically if anyone changed their suspension on a VDC equipped vehicle without Nismo parts, there should techincally be this same disclaimer with those parts, correct?

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
that's really a shame that you made the purchase (especially the swaybars) without researching first

the NISMO front bar is the same size as what's already on your car, the rear bar might be as well (I forget the stock Z size off the top of my head). Plus they are non adjustable. Works reasonably well for 03-05 cars (though they are more $ than several other adjustable types from various companies), waste of $ for 06 and up though

Actually I did realize that only 1 of the bars was technically any different but I do not plan to make big modifications to my car like some people. I just wanted to get a few Nismo parts which won't void your warranty at most dealers. This is not a track setup or anything. Just something to make my daily ride a little more enjoyable.

And I got the suspension for 1050 shipped from a Nissan dealer on Ebay so I think I got a pretty good deal. I think MSRP is 1800 or so.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:23 PM
MyATLz

Originally Posted by Chaser720
Turn VDC off and problem solved.
That's a good answer. I already have been turning it off unless there is rain.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well, even with VDC "off" it's really never off - it still kicks on when the ecu thinks it needs to. You mind as well just leave it on, it really doesn't interfere with anything unless the car is being used on the track.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good answer. I already have been turning it off unless there is rain.

keep it on. you will be surprised by how quickly the z car can go sideways.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
NISMOFO

Basically if anyone changed their suspension on a VDC equipped vehicle without Nismo parts, there should techincally be this same disclaimer with those parts, correct?

Actually I did realize that only 1 of the bars was technically any different but I do not plan to make big modifications to my car like some people. I just wanted to get a few Nismo parts which won't void your warranty at most dealers. This is not a track setup or anything. Just something to make my daily ride a little more enjoyable.

And I got the suspension for 1050 shipped from a Nissan dealer on Ebay so I think I got a pretty good deal. I think MSRP is 1800 or so.
$1050 shipped? Do you have a link to this dealer on Ebay you can PM me? That's a good deal.

Also, you said only one of the bars was different in size once you compared them to OEM. Which bar was different?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
MyATLz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISMO...Q5fAccessories

It's 1099 now + shipping, but still a great deal and very good customer service. It's a Nissan dealer in Illinois I believe. I'll have to get back to you on the bar thing. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by NISMOFO
$1050 shipped? Do you have a link to this dealer on Ebay you can PM me? That's a good deal.

Also, you said only one of the bars was different in size once you compared them to OEM. Which bar was different?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
NISMOFO

Thanks, yeah I actually found that link the other night. Very tempting.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 AM
glacier

Default NISMO S-Tune suspension on a 2008 VDC Z

Before anybody tells me to search, I've already done it:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...thout-vdc.html

But the post doesn't really answer my questions:

#1 Since I have a 2008 GT with VDC, can I install the spring + shocks + swaybay setup without messing up VDC? I don't intend to turn it off every time I start the car.

#2 IF the above setup does mess with VDC, sounds like I won't be receiving any benefit from this mod?

Some help would be nice, thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Don't sweat it - after 7 years of modifying the Z, collectively we've learned that the "warning" is not an issue.

#1 - I've yet to see a VDC activation problem tied to suspension changes.

#2 - It won't mess with VDC. You can tune the ride and handling characteristics of the car by swapping out suspension components.

The only effect we've ever seen on VDC is the incorrect choice of tires. If you don't maintain the F/R stagger, that can throw off the operation of VDC.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
glacier

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Don't sweat it - after 7 years of modifying the Z, collectively we've learned that the "warning" is not an issue.

#1 - I've yet to see a VDC activation problem tied to suspension changes.

#2 - It won't mess with VDC. You can tune the ride and handling characteristics of the car by swapping out suspension components.

The only effect we've ever seen on VDC is the incorrect choice of tires. If you don't maintain the F/R stagger, that can throw off the operation of VDC.
I am going to keep stock wheels and tires, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So in your opinion, I should order the spring + shock and swaybars then? And even with VDC in the way, I should still see an optimization in handling, right?

Thanks man for pitching in. I don't mean to revive a thread, just thought I should post the question in a related thread.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Yes, you'll definitely change the ride of the car. VDC doesn't really have that big of an effect on the normal operation of the car.

I have Koni adjustable shocks, Hotchkis sways and even with a non-staggered setup, I've only have VDC kick in on me once on the street. Now in the extremes of an autocross, it's easy to get it to kick in, even with proper sized tires. That's when you turn it off.

As I've stated before, the whole Nissan warning is more about them covering their asses. If somebody does modify their suspension and they get in an accident, they'll be claiming the success/failure of VDC was the cause and Nissan has an "out" since the suspension has been modified.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
glacier

Hey thanks man - you've been really helpful!

In between our conversations, I've continued to search, and dug up probably a dozen threads re: S-tune + VDC.

And now I feel like an @$$, asking a question that's been asked for like 2 billion times.

I am going to press the button and order a full set. CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
NISMOFO

I had the full s-tune Nismo setup (shocks/springs/sways) on a 350Z with VDC. I had no issues. But I also liked driving the car with it off most of the time.

The VDC thing is more of a disclaimer than an "issue" (in my opinion).

Quick Reply: Nismo Suspension & Sway Bars only for vehicles "equipped without VDC"