Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo Vs 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM
NightRider88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
What I am giving you is actual feedback. Show me another vendor on here that will toss of a $2800 sale because they don't think it's the right thing for you. If you feel the money burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means buy 'em. Why limit yourself to Zeals though? There are units out there that are even more exclusive, and may potentially make the car handle even better. I'm all about selling parts, it's how I put food on the table, but I don't believe in hyping something up just because it sounds cool, unless that is what you want (nothing wrong with that, but that's not the questions you're asking). You said you want to improve the performance of the car. The surefire way to do that, at this point, is to improve you. Once the you part can outdrive the car, then coilovers, among other things, will be a wise and justified purchase.

But to start off, I'd change the tires before anything. The Z, and particularly the NISMO, becomes a completely different animal when on a proper set of r compounds
then i guess ill have to get a nice set of r compound tires and see how that changes things...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

edited my post....re-read it

if I were you, I would not buy ANYTHING yet
Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NightRider88
then i guess ill have to get a nice set of r compound tires and see how that changes things...
You are completely missing the point of the posts. It wasnt meant to convince you to get tires first lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

What the heck is going on here!!!! ENOUGH! Not one more argument!!!!

This is getting ridiculous! not one more - "mines better, no yours is slower, your a bad driver" blah, blah....

stay on topic facts and legit - we closed the last thread this crap happened in, next time we wont be closing the thread, if you know what i mean!!

-J
Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 PM
jgregory124

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Never been in a car with Zeals, but on here someone listed all the Spring rates and the NISMO stock suspension had the highest spring rate out of all the aftermarket ones available. Suspension will not be the only thing to help a car handle, it's in the structure of the body of the car itself that you can not change to a stock 350z that the NISMO has without some serious cash.
here you say "the Spring rates and the NISMO stock suspension had the highest spring rate out of all the aftermarket ones available."
Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM
jgregory124

Exactly. That is the one set I mentioned that the NISMO doesn't have higher spring rates over. All that combined with the chassis, makes a nice difference.

Glad this is back on topic. Let's try to keep it this way folks.

Here you say "That is the one set I mentioned that the NISMO doesn't have higher spring rates over."
These are NISMO after market parts are they not? That can be purchased?

You kind of lose credit on subject matter knowledge when you contradict your self..........

Last edited by jgregory124; 01-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

The NISMO parts can be purchased but they are not S-TUNE like parts. They are way more expensive and designed only for the NISMO car. And the spring rates on the NISMO suspension is the highest on that list I see except one aftermarket racing suspension that is available. So he loses credit over that? haha
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
jgregory124

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you don't

it's like asking how do you compare an apple to an orange - both are fruits, but they are completely different in every aspect

Solo is right inasmuch as the NISMO version does have higher spring rates than just about any other SPRING sold on the aftermarket - but that really doesn't mean all that much considering it also has different shocks. The NISMO T2 spec springs (the ones you can buy from NISMO, not the ones that come on the NISMO car) are actually much stiffer than anything else out there I've seen

Anyway, this topic has been beaten to death about a bazillion times already, since before the NISMO Z was available to be purchased. Both are great cars, one is just more evolved from the factory floor than the other. Case closed

Right here "The NISMO T2 spec springs (the ones you can buy from NISMO, not the ones that come on the NISMO car) are actually much stiffer than anything else out there I've seen"
The stock NISMO springs are not as stiff as the NISMO T2 spec. That was SOLO's argument.........The NISMO had the best suspension
out there?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by jgregory124
Right here "The NISMO T2 spec springs (the ones you can buy from NISMO, not the ones that come on the NISMO car) are actually much stiffer than anything else out there I've seen"
The stock NISMO springs are not as stiff as the NISMO T2 spec. That was SOLO's argument.........The NISMO had the best suspension
out there?
You obviously are missing what he posted on the post with all the data of the suspensions. I will repost it here for you.

Looks to me like it does other than one in that list. Funny, because like I said, people have driven my car to it's limits on the track, and they have raced prepped cars with roll cages, and my car can shine just as good if not better per them. The suspension is tuned for the car and the body unlike any aftermarket suspension you just slap on it might make it stiffer but doesn't mean it will help the car handle that much better.

Again the body stiffness that was added is very noticeable. You won't notice it on the street but definitely on the track where counts. I also race with the Z clubs in Texas, and on cruises and for some odd reason my car can take the turns about 15-20mph faster seriously than the other 350z with suspension aftermarket mods done to them and my car is stock. They always talk about how I can take turns so much faster than them.

-------
Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Concave
dang z04 gots a 350z.

finished it for you

Name:  newlightsfront.jpg
Views: 5489
Size:  51.4 KB

Last edited by Z04; 01-19-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
jgregory124

Bottom line the NISMO 350z is set up better from the factory for the track. A non NISMO 350z can be modded to be better than the NISMO but the NISMO can me modded as well but who wants to modded a limited editon?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Well, I just had the instructor drive my car at Driveway in Austin, TX yesterday, he drove my 350z, a 350z with S-Tune suspension on it, sways, track wheels, and tires, and my car with 200lb of crap in the back he said was much better handling car and responsive car over his.

I wish I could explain how much better the NISMO feels and drives over a normal 350z. It feels solid, no rattles, no flex like a normal 350z has. Suspension will help the handling but it doesn't help the flex.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
jgregory124

I drove both before I bought my car the NISMO to me was not justified spending more money on when the car would be modded any way.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by jgregory124
I drove both before I bought my car the NISMO to me was not justified spending more money on when the car would be modded any way.
You took it on a track and tested the performance? You can not test it on the street or tell the difference on the street.

And I agree. If you planned to mod the car and drop it to make it look better,then the NISMO would have been a waste anyways. I personally purchased mine to be my track car.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 01-19-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:12 PM
jgregory124

You took it on a track and tested the performance? You can not test it on the street or tell the difference on the street.

And I agree. If you planned to mod the car and drop it to make it look better,then the NISMO would have been a waste anyways. I personally purchased mine to be my track car.
like I said before NISMO 350z great car better out of the box......350z great car to mod.......
Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

stay on Topic. last warning for all parties. do NOT attempt to try to get 'the last word in'
Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 AM
speedracer05

Hello,
In some articles i have been reading on lowering Z's and G's, there was some talking about "Roll Centers" when going below 2" drop, and having an ill effect on weight transfer. Can someone here shed some light on this?(Roll Centers)?
Thanks

Edit: Modified Mag, October 2008 edition.

Last edited by speedracer05; 01-22-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ pm members "Resolute" and or "hippie"

Not sure how often either visits the board.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
NISMOFO

I have the 07 Nismo suspension on my car + S-tune sways. Apparently, the 07 Nismo sways are the same as the stock sways from what I've heard...and similar if not identical to the S-tune sways.

Now I don't have the reinforced welds like a Nismo Z, but apparently that makes all the difference in the world? Driving two different cars on the track with different setups is not a valid comparison unless they're on identical wheel/tire setups I would think.

But I rode in an S-tune the other day with S-tune sways....it was slight stiffer, but it definitely handled better than my 07 Nismo. I could tell after the first turn we took and this car had stock wheels with 18K miles on the stock tires....vs. my 18" nismo wheels with brand new tires.

But I do think the shocks on the 07/08 Nismo are soft enough to make up for the high spring rate. Spring rate is only half the story. Anyways, I'm probably taking my Nismo suspension off in the next month, putting it on the market and going with S-tune most likely. The drive between my car and the s-tune was enough to convince me of the difference between the two. The s-tune will surely be a more bumpy ride though.

I'm not looking forward to the car being lower because of tear wear, but I wouldn't mind a slight drop. I've owned 2 350Z's before that had Hotchkis drops with SPC rear camber/toe kits...but I'd don't think I'm going to do that this time....no camber/toe kit.

Now, if I had a 07/08 Nismo Z....I probably wouldn't touch a thing or it would mostly defeat the purpose of the purchase. Although, the body kit alone is mad bank for that car. The mod bug hits...and driving a stock car can start to get boring if you visit the forums here too often.

The Nismo Z was advertised as the best handling Z ever. Well, it handles good I'm sure...but I think thats just marketing. Take the body kit off the car and then go drive it. Does it really handle THAT good, or is it all in your head? I definitely agree its WAY better than stock...huge improvement for sure. I also think there are a lot of guys that don't know (myself included) how to match up a set of shocks with their spring rates and their cars handle like ace. I'm pretty sure this is common, and in those cases the Nismo Z will eat them up. I prefer going with Nismo suspension just because I know it's designed to work together (shocks/springs). I'm not into coil-overs or adjusting my car...no need for my driving habits. I just want to drive it and have the best of both worlds...and I think that's what the Nismo Z does...the best of both worlds. Driver friendly on the street and probably great on the track too...it's kinda like warm porage...not too hot, not too cold...but just right for the average Z driver.

Quick Reply: Nismo Vs 350z